Thread: Happy Birthday LEGO!

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Exclamation Happy Birthday LEGO!

It's LEGO's 50th Anniversary!

I was playing with this stuff back in the '60s. I had buckets of it. Used to build airplanes and boats mostly. Some of my boats were four and five feet long. Ok, they were only six inches wide, but they were still five feet long, with cranes and helicopters and all sorts of junk happening.

I had the first LEGO train set, the first electric motor. It was great. Absolutely, hands down, the greatest toy ever conceived. (Followed closely by the original GI Joes, which went well with LEGO.)
    Unto each good man a good dog

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Happy Birthday LEGO!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

The hours I spent making castles houses bases dungeons prisons ect. the only toy I had as a kid that I could still waste a few hours playing with now...

Happy Birthday Lego!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Yes! Happy Birthday....My little nephew and me both love LEGO....

I guess most of the guys and gals in this community built castles ?? I for sure did...or places where the little plastic soldiers were able to hide & surprise the plastic dinosour they had to hunt....wellm usually they ended up in the dinos stomache anyways.....hehehe.....cruel little Sub I was.....
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Great! I also played with Duplo and later Lego and Playmobil.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

A spent a significant part of my youth building/destroying/rebuilding Lego castles.

Thank you for all the good times and happy Birthday LEGO
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Where's your head at? Member Galain_Ironhide's Avatar

The 2 things I loved about Lego when I was a kid:

The medieval playsets - Probably why I'm in love with games like M2TW now.

Building weird and bizarre race cars.

Even now when I take my baby son into KMart, I walk past all of the early development stuff that babies have, and take him straight to the Lego. Ah to be a child again!

Happy Birthday LEGO!!!
    - 'Let's finish the game.' - Josiah Gordon "Doc" Scurlock

Read my AAR - BC Kingdom of Jerusalem - For Faith or Greed

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

The space legos were always my favorite. I would spend hours building complex human bases on foreign worlds, and then the robots would invade and destroy them bit by bit. Awesome.

My daughter likes the princess theme duplo blocks, but we still build castles and have the horses attack them every so often.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Oh my, the memories. I think my favorite was the aircraft carrier I built out of the big baseplates that was 6 long and 3 tall. Didn't talk to mom for a few days after she made me take it apart.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

happy birthday lego... www.google.nl even google is celebrating it... its LEGO!!!!

We do not sow.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Oh man. Oh boy. Oh girl. Oh moooom, why did you do thiss? Oh daaad, I want thiis pleeeaaassseee!!!

The best game of the century. Period. It was so addictive, fun and intelligent that it was impossible not to like it. My favourites were Lego System, even though I had more Technic.

The hardest one was a huge 4-motor airplane. I just couldn't do it. It was so complex, I dropped it after 1 month.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Danes.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was about 7 or 8, on three different occasions I would set up all of my LEGO sets in the family room and completely take it over as the different "themes" fought it out in a massive Battle Royale, or, as I called it back then, "Really Big Battle".

One time we were having company over while one of these Really Big Battles were in process (they always took around a week) so I had to transport everything, from all the dozens of characters to several massive sets (and they were fragile, too) up to my much more cramped bedroom. I said "hi" to company, promptly went back to my room, and continued the Really Big Battle as normal except this time everybody banded together as they fought together to exit this new Ghost Dimension and its strange inhabitants. Eventually, they all got home (naturally, after company had left) and I continued with the battle as normal as everyone immediately turned on each other. It was awesome.

Happy birthday LEGO, O Enhancer of my Childhood.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Happy Birthday, Lego! You still provide me with some great entertainment, even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP
    The space legos were always my favorite. I would spend hours building complex human bases on foreign worlds, and then the robots would invade and destroy them bit by bit. Awesome.
    Ditto on the space sets being my favorite. In fact, I still purchase them from time to time, even though I'm 31 now.

My favorite was to combine all my space sets and construct the biggest ship possible. My ultimate was a monster that was about 4 feet long, 2 feet wide (in the back), and over a foot high. It had a full complement of ground vehicles, along with 6-8 small space fighters that detached directly from the mother ship's wings. (Gods, am I a geek, or what? )
    Last edited by Martok; 01-29-2008 at 04:07.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Ah, LEGO. We (my brother and I) had two big dish tubs full of the ones that didn't come with themes like cars or ships, etc. (back in the 60s-70s). We spent so much leisure time building anything that came to mind, and I think it really helped develop our creativity over the years. Mom and dad were so often astounded at the things we built. Such wonderful tools for the imagination--so much more enriching than sitting around passively observing, analyzing, and judging the creativity of others (TV, movies, other people's music, etc.), in my book anyway. Not that I don't enjoy movies and music--I think you can understand what I mean.

Castles, super cars, ships, spaceships and bases, cities with roads and vehicles, masks and gauntlets and talismans, laser pistols and rifles, bizarre machines ... years of fun. It was a great attraction for neighborhood friends too--they loved to come over and play with us and our plentiful LEGOs.

Happiest of birthdays, LEGO, and many thanks.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Post Re: Happy Birthday LEGO!

I remember playing with Duplo at a very small age and later, after I learned that the pieces were not designed for munching on, Lego.

I wasn't really a castles and zombies type of person - I was more into interesting designs for cars, and boats. I often remember getting frustrated at the more fiddly bits - my hand/eye coordination is/was very poor. I also remember getting a few of those models which came with detailed instructions - never actually built them though, simply dumping the parts in my generic lego box and then using them on a more custom project.

Anyhow, happy birthday Lego
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-29-2008 at 08:18.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Yep, I was also a lego-raised child. First Duplo, then Lego and finally Lego Technics. I still walk past Lego Technics boxes in the toy shop and hesitate for just a short while. I had/have the fully functioning water airplane, the black racecar/F1 and many smaller boxes to just be creative (while still making the cilinders work).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Ah, Lego. I've still got a huge box of the stuff in my attic, which I dig out every now and again. It really is the best toy ever invented.

I had a lot of the Star Wars lego kits, they were fantastic. I remember re-enacting the Death Star trench run with a couple of friends. The trench took bloody ages to build...
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Got ridiculous amounts of LEGO at home, piles of it. Great fun, plenty of memories; and I just hope they can revive themselves from the rut they are currently stuck in.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Ah! How I loved my legos. If only I didn't lose all the guns/spears/other important pieces. Last summer I went online and found the instructions for all the legos I'd ever had (80s-90s) and rebuilt them as best I could. Sadly there were a lot of missing pieces so some of my technic legos are nothing but the chassis and one castle could not be built for lack of walls and other pieces. My space monorail track is missing one bit of curved track so I can't even make the cars go round and round

If I ever have kids I'll be sure to get them plenty of legos!

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Best toy in the world apart from... eh ... well screw that this is the frontroom
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

What has my generation missed out on?

Denny

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Christmas 1957. Me=6, going on 7.. Brother=5. I got Lincoln Logs, Tom got Lego's (both came in cardboard, cylinder-shaped, metal-topped, canisters - about the size of a coffee-can).

In those ancient days, "plastic" toys were still considered inferior to "real" toys made of wood and/or metal. Tom thought he got cheated with the plastic Lego's and cried. A lot. So, we traded.

By New Year's Day, after we found that Lincoln Logs could build: a fence, a corral, a house, and a fort - but that Lego's could build all kinds of stuff - and buildings could have "windows" due to the 1-in-20 clear plastic blocks... he cried again, and we traded again.

By the time I married Mrs. Kukri in the early 90's Lego's had themes and colors other than 'white' and 'clear', and came in the thousand-pack (I discovered when seeing my step-sons' bedrooms). Amazing.

Happy belated Birthday.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

ha ha your not a Member Caeser The III's Avatar
    in the middle of nowhere O_o(you can call it Rome)

yay finally
    old name was:Ilikethisgame5
    if you die on a elevator,make sure to press up