Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female warriors

Default Female warriors

How comes it that the Sauromatians doesen't have female warriors?

Sources: http://people.uncw.edu/deagona/amazo...romations2.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauromatae#Herodotus

Default Re: Female warriors

Wrong timeframe perhaps? I dunno
    Politics, just like the tropical forest, feeds itself from its own waste.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Meh, it's not like you could really tell them from the men under the kaftans and trousers anyway. And, given that the fighting-women would in practice have come from the aristocracy (conceivably the only class which could spare the time and resources to train and equip some of their women as frontline-grade combatants), armour.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Since they didn't exist as separate units, representing them as such wouldn't make any sense in EB. They fought alongside male troops in the same formation. I'd have thought if the flexible MTW2 model variation system would allow it regular units could contain the odd female warrior (or dare I say it, the odd lorica segmentata...) but whether that's possible I don't know.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

I don't think they had political correctness back then.
    Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum
    Currently playing Europa Barbarorum 1.1

That has little to do with the matter though.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

To be fair, they probably wouldn't have beards as featured in EB.

But otherwise, as mentioned already, how would you know under that armour?

Expecting Scythian Valkyrie-Amazon horse archers? With figure hugging cuiraisses?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maeran
    Expecting Scythian Valkyrie-Amazon horse archers? With figure hugging cuiraisses?
    oh YES!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

Ah man I so want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Since they didn't exist as separate units, representing them as such wouldn't make any sense in EB. They fought alongside male troops in the same formation.
    You could argue though that a lot of barbarian units wouldnt have fought in separate groups. The female units did add bit of variety to things, it'd be great if the team could find a way to use them that's historicaly acceptable. The virgin archers from BI were one nifty looking unit.
    The artist formerly known as Johnny5.

(or dare I say it, the odd lorica segmentata...)
    Recant, thou heretic, recant from thy heresies or be burnt at the stake! Or crucfied as doth fit the Europa Barbarorum timeframe! XD

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Female warriors disappear from Sauromatian and Middle Don Scythian burials around the end of the fourth or beginning of the third century BC, and so their inclusion would be anachronistic in EB. It is interesting to note that almost all the female warrior burials found included only arrowheads and spearheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker-Jack
    You could argue though that a lot of barbarian units wouldnt have fought in separate groups. The female units did add bit of variety to things, it'd be great if the team could find a way to use them that's historicaly acceptable. The virgin archers from BI were one nifty looking unit.
    Dubious. All units in EB are designed to perform in a specific function in an army, in a number of cases as an abstraction based on a specific function or method of recruitment rather than a known, well-defined unit. Female cavalry wouldn't have a separate function.

MeinPanzer's comment about anachronism is also worth considering.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Err, Vanilla's female cavalry served a distinctive purpose. That purpose was to make the player slobber.

EB has the Gaesatae for that though.

Anyway, I recall once having read a mention that female warriors weren't unknown among the Central Asian nomads either; one ruler apparently sent a squadron of such armoured horse-archers to serve as some Chinese noblewoman's bodyguard as a gesture of goodwill. (Too bad this was a passing reference I saw years ago God knows where...)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    women gaesatae anyone? Wouldn't that be a sight
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman

Anyway, I recall once having read a mention that female warriors weren't unknown among the Central Asian nomads either; one ruler apparently sent a squadron of such armoured horse-archers to serve as some Chinese noblewoman's bodyguard as a gesture of goodwill. (Too bad this was a passing reference I saw years ago God knows where...)
    Women warriors were never unknown, just (more or less, depending on culture) rare. But in any case, they wouldn't look much like the videogame slobber-material you usually see; large ammounts of abs aren't exactly conducive to waspish waists, and most men wouldn't find square shoulders attractive either. Oh, and it's a safe bet that any generous-seeming chest is due to pectoral muscle as well as boobs. And a successfully female warrior would probably above average height and certainly above average weight for a woman.

EDIT: Female Gaesatae would pwn all. Imagine the Roman legions on their knees, saying "please rape us"!!!
    Last edited by CirdanDharix; 01-30-2008 at 17:52.

Dubious. All units in EB are designed to perform in a specific function in an army, in a number of cases as an abstraction based on a specific function or method of recruitment rather than a known, well-defined unit. Female cavalry wouldn't have a separate function.
    Wouldnt they be just what you said, an abstraction based on a certain pool of warriors? They wouldnt have a separate function no, but there's plenty of units that do the exact same job as others.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer
    Female warriors disappear from Sauromatian and Middle Don Scythian burials around the end of the fourth or beginning of the third century BC, and so their inclusion would be anachronistic in EB.
    Well that's a bit of a blow to our little feminist movement. Does it necessarily rule them out though? The burials fizzle out but they didnt find a sign saying "NO WOMEN AFTER THIS". Lots of EB units dont have weighty archaeological evidence to back them up.
    I think Im fighting a loosing battle here but anyway
    The artist formerly known as Johnny5.

I vote for Gaesatae women!
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maeran
    To be fair, they probably wouldn't have beards as featured in EB.
    What is they were Dwarves?
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunShadow
    I vote for Gaesatae women!
    Seconded!

(imagines how the screen would look during a massive battle between an all gaesatae army and an all gaesatae women army )
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Female warriors

I vote for Gaesatae women only if they get "scares nearby infantry".

Quote Originally Posted by CirdanDharix
    Women warriors were never unknown, just (more or less, depending on culture) rare. But in any case, they wouldn't look much like the videogame slobber-material you usually see; large ammounts of abs aren't exactly conducive to waspish waists, and most men wouldn't find square shoulders attractive either. Oh, and it's a safe bet that any generous-seeming chest is due to pectoral muscle as well as boobs. And a successfully female warrior would probably above average height and certainly above average weight for a woman.
    I rather like the athletic type, personally.
    (And on a related note, as I tend to place some value on credible representation, it tends to annoy the crap out of me character designers most of the time fail to furnish their sword-swingin' heroines with the sort of physique the activity actually produces and requires...)
    Last edited by Watchman; 01-30-2008 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodion Romanovich
    Seconded!

(imagines how the screen would look during a massive battle between an all gaesatae army and an all gaesatae women army )
    I think in that case team should make new animation for them

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

I too vote for Gaesate women, if only as a optional cheat thing.
    Please????
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

a poll maybe?

Default Re: AW: Female warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    I vote for Gaesatae women only if they get "scares nearby infantry".
    I don't think "scare" is the correct word
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker-Jack
    Wouldnt they be just what you said, an abstraction based on a certain pool of warriors? They wouldnt have a separate function no, but there's plenty of units that do the exact same job as others.
    No, I'm afraid that's another matter entirely. Stats may look similar, but every unit in EB (in theory, at least) represents either a distinct historical type of unit in recruitment methods, equipment, locality or separate abstracted historical function. Female noble cavalry would fit neither category.

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

A better place for female units would probably be the Scythians in Rise of Persia (the archelogical evidence is thier for the time period involved), and amongst the 'Barbarians' in the Three Kingdoms mod for BI.

Oddly, the Sassinsids in BI could have an all women unit, as thier were female officer/governers throughout the Persian domionions. These female soldiers however fought as individuals and not as a body.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Hey, I haven't posted here in the public forums for a very long time, but I'm the faction coordinator of the Sauromatae (and Pahlava) faction for EB. So I'm the guy that that can answer this question best.

We had a unit planned, back in the day, for female nobles. It was scrapped to have an other, more important unit. No idea what unit that was per se, but it was a unit that would have had better concrete evidence, and would have been more likely to have been seen in their armies.

I am convinced that females would have fought occasionally for the Sauromatae, I believe enough evidence has been put foward (primarily archaelogical) to support the notion that some females would have occasionally fought. Certaintly they would have been able to ride and shoot a bow. However, they would not have fought in seperate units, so we decided to have only males, instead of having inaccurate female only units.

As for EB2, having females is again under consideration since we can have multiple skins per unit, but until we are sure that we can control the placement of certian faces on top of certian bodies, we would end up with having a bearded face on a body that has breasts. This is not to say we wouldn have huge, exposed breasts or anything (yes, yes a disapointment to some, I'm sure) but you could probably tell a female from a man, even under a kaftan. So its again up in the air.

Does this help clear it up?

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast