Thread: My book on medieval military history is now out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Default My book on medieval military history is now out

Hi All.

I haven't posted on these boards in a while, but I thought I'd let everyone know that my first book has now been published (or will be within the next few weeks). It is being published by Manchester University Press and will be carried by Palgrave/Macmillan in the US and the University of British Columbia Press in Canada. You can also order it from Amazon.com or any of the other major online sellers if you like.

The title is, The Military Leadership of Matilda of Canossa, 1046-1115. It is an examination of the military career of one of the most successful female generals of all time, and one of the most important commanders (of either gender) of the age of Church reform and the Investiture Contest. You can read the full blurb on the links below.

What I'd like to do here is to keep this thread alive to answer any questions any of you might have about the military history of this period, or, if you decide to read it, any further questions you have about Matilda and her career.

There is also a sample chapter online, being hosted by the De re militari society (the society for medieval military history). You can read this chapter here:

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/articles/hay.html

The Amazon link is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Leade...1798737&sr=8-1

Cheers,

--Hurin (Dave)
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: My book on medieval military history is now out

Congratulations! When it appears in my uni library, I'll be sure to check it out.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Congratulations again! Interesting choice of topic as well, hadn't heard about her before

Do you by any chance have any more info and/or details on the Battle of Sorbara? Is that included in the previous chaper(s) to the one you linked to?
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius
    Congratulations again! Interesting choice of topic as well, hadn't heard about her before

Do you by any chance have any more info and/or details on the Battle of Sorbara? Is that included in the previous chaper(s) to the one you linked to?
    Yes, the previous chapter in the book (chapter 2) ends with a pretty detailed description of the Battle of Sorbara, based on the accounts of Ranger of Lucca, Pseudo-Bardo and several other accounts.

It really is quite a fascinating battle, as Matilda's forces caught the imperialists by surprise, stormed their camp, smashed their army and even took one of the three leading commanders (Bishop Eberhard of Parma) prisoner.

But for the full account, you have to get the book

Cheers
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius

same

We do not sow.

Ouch 90$, I might get it though your a talented writer.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Sounds like a topic I'd enjoy. Do you know if amazon.uk will stock it? The US site charges a small fortune and takes, in my experience, over a month to deliver to the UK.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Congrats, Hurin, from Historians everywhere!

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

2 questions.

1)Why have I never heard of this general before? A female general in the middle ages (besides joan de arc)! That seems like something that would be taught in high school

2) Was she hot? ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I don't think it was actually all that uncommon for noblewomen to lead troops (not normally in the actual battle, mind) - after all, the feudal military obligations of an estate didn't just vanish if the hubby died.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by holybandit
    2) Was she hot? ;)
    I'd like to second that

What about Queen Boudica (granted, she was a Roman-era Briton). I saw a History Channel documentary on her once; the actress who played her was smokin'...

congrats Hurin_Rules!
    indeed