Thread: My book is out

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Default My book is out

Hi all,

I haven't posted in these boards for a while, but I thought I would just put in a quick notice that my book (The Military Leadership of Matilda of Canossa, 1046-1115) is finally being published in the next few weeks.

I've got a thread on it in the monastery, where I hope to answer any questions about medieval military history that arise from it. But here I thought I'd add a thread for any questions that arise about modern military history and events, since the book addresses some wider questions, such as the role of women in warfare and 'Fourth Generation Warfare' (though mostly I deal with these issues in my conclusion).

The society for medieval military history (De re militari) is also hosting a sample chapter, which you can read here:

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/articles/hay.html

And here's the monastery thread for specifically medieval questions:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...59#post1819259

So, let me know if you have any questions; I'll be happy to answer them!

Cheers,

--Hurin
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Default Re: My book is out

Cool

Congrats and welcome back to the realms of the Backroom, Hurin

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Silly professor. Thinks he'll find rational minds back here, pfftt!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Congrats man!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Women in war, hmmm. Was their such a thing such as beautiful woman wearing nothing but fur actually fighting for the men in the tribe next to them or was that just wishfull thinking, Congrats on book

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Congrats !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Women in war, hmmm. Was their such a thing such as beautiful woman wearing nothing but fur actually fighting for the men in the tribe next to them or was that just wishfull thinking[?]
    Generally no, this has been exaggerated (it seems): only certain unnamed videogames would contemplate whole units of 'Screeching Women' But amongst some tribes such as the Sarmatians/Scythians, it does seem that some individual women did fight, since they were buried with their bows and their armor.

If you're thinking of Raquel Welsch in a 10,000 BC-type of thing, then that's probably just fantasy (wonderful as that is )

Congrats on book
    Thanks! It is pretty exciting for me to see it finally make it into print.
    Last edited by Hurin_Rules; 01-31-2008 at 18:52.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin_Rules
    Hi all,

I haven't posted in these boards for a while, but I thought I would just put in a quick notice that my book (The Military Leadership of Matilda of Canossa, 1046-1115) is finally being published in the next few weeks.
    Hey Hurin Rules, nice to have you back! I missed you. Congratulations with the book, man.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The Man U. Press site is slow to respond, obviously innundated with requests for more info on our Prof 's new tome. Huzzah!

Rumor had it you were out chasing bar-wenches and such, but I told 'em: "No! He's doing serious real-life stuff! Wait! You'll see!".

Welcome back.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Congrats Húrin!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Congratulations!
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Wonderful!

You can PM me a signed copy.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Well, posted in the Monastery already (shows where my priorities are...), but a congratulations here as well!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

That is excellent Hurin! Congratulations.

It is good to see you back.
    This space intentionally left blank

Congratulations!
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Congrats Hurin!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Very nice! Congratulations!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Congratulations to you.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

congrats, maybe you could give us lazy orgahs a bit of a summary of the thing (like the writing usually on the back of books)
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Congratulations Hurin_Rules.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly
    congrats, maybe you could give us lazy orgahs a bit of a summary of the thing (like the writing usually on the back of books)
    Sure.

Basically, the introduction looks at some of the wider issues involved in studying the 'Investiture Wars' of the eleventh and twelfth century, when popes and emperors went to war with one another over control of the church (or to be more specific, control over who got to be elected/appointed bishops within the church, since the office of bishop often now had important political, economic and military power attached to it). The introduction also looks at the issue of women in war, and why people have previously had such a hard time accepting that a woman was a genuine commander (not just a figurehead). I argue that in the Middle Ages, war was 'a practical, not a theoretical art' (the phrase is historian Timothy Reuter's). This meant that proficiency in command was generally passed down through families in an apprentice-style system: if your father was king or duke, he taught his children the skills he had acquired, much like a knight would teach his sons how to fight. In Matilda's case, her other siblings died, and she was the only one left, so her father, stepfather and mother taught her the family business, and she grew up surrounded by war.

Chapters 1-4 are essentially a narrative of her major campaigns.

Chapter 1 looks at her early education and her difficult childhood, which inured her to war. By the age of 10, her father had been assassinated, the Holy Roman Emperor (Henry III) had invaded her family lands, and she herself had been taken as a POW. She learned pretty quickly that if she couldn't protect herself, she may not survive. By the time she was approaching her 30s, her mother was grooming her for office, and she even participated in an attempt to lauch a 'crusade' with the famous Pope Gregory VII in 1074 (this was 21 years before the First Crusade was formally proclaimed). Unfortunately, this expedtion broke apart, but Matilda learned a lot from it.

Chapters 2 and 3 look at Matilda's great victory over the Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV in the Investiture Wars. It covers the famous meeting between pope Gregory VII and Henry IV at Canossa in 1077, when the emperor was humiliated by being forced to stand out in the snow before the front gates for three days. While this is one of the most famous events in medieval history, most historians are not aware of the fact that the castle of Canossa itself was Matilda's, and it was she who was protecting the pope from the emperor at that time!

The rest of chapters 2 and three document Matilda's early defeats at the Battle of Volta (1080) and Gregory's expulsion from Rome (1084). But it also looks at the turning of the tide with Matilda's great victory at the Battle of Sorbara (1084), her invasion of Rome (1087) and her final victory over Henry at Canossa (1092) and Nogara (1095). In fact, it was really Matilda rather than the popes that defeated the emperor in this phase of the Investiture Contest.

Chapter 4 examines Matilda's later campaigns, when she was called the gran contessa ('great countess') and ruled a huge swathe of Italy with an iron fist. She led successful sieges against the cities of Ferrara (1101), Parma (1104), Prato (1107), and Mantua (1114). In fact, she seems to have staved off the communal movement in Northern Italy mainly due to the great fear that so many people had of her. We find her leading military campaigns well after her 60th birthday.

Chapter 5 switches gears to take a look at the ways in which male authors dealt with the idea of a woman in command. While her political enemies predictably savaged her as a quarrelsome, irrational woman, her allies defended her as a just warrior and servant of God. Some of her allies were actually some of the most prominent legal theorists of the age-- men like Anselm of Lucca-- and so her campaigns did have some impact on the propaganda and law of the day.

In the conclusions I return to the wider issue of women in war and try to put Matilda's campaigns into context. I note that the Investiture War was as much a war of ideas as of territory, and in this respect sometimes mirrors modern insurgencies and 'Fourth Generation Warfare'. I also take some parting shots at modern military historians who don't know that thinking about these types of wars did not suddenly begin with the introduction of gunpowder :)

In short, my book is not for everyone-- while I give a pretty detailed introduction to the period in my introduction, it would be a little hard for someone with no knowledge at all of medieval history to jump right into it. But if you do have a bit of a background, I think you'll find it pretty interesting, as most of these campaigns have not really been studied in English before.

Cheers,

--Hurin (Dave)

And thanks, everyone, for all the congratulations!

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin_Rules
    Chapters 2 and 3 look at Matilda's great victory over the Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV in the Investiture Wars. It covers the famous meeting between pope Gregory VII and Henry IV at Canossa in 1077, when the emperor was humiliated by being forced to stand out in the snow before the front gates for three days. While this is one of the most famous events in medieval history, most historians are not aware of the fact that the castle of Canossa itself was Matilda's, and it was she who was protecting the pope from the emperor at that time!
    Yea, I remember that, pretty funny. Didn't know it was her castle though. Sounds interesting, I really like the timeframe.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Congratulations! Hope it's a big success for you!

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Congratulations
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! Sounds like a very interesting topic.

When I saw the thread title as being the most recently posted in the tavern, I thought it might be you.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    Yea, I remember that, pretty funny. Didn't know it was her castle though. Sounds interesting, I really like the timeframe.
    Yeah, it was said that Henry IV stood for three days barefoot in the snow before the pope finally agreed to see him.

The event was made even more famous in the 19th century by Otto von Bismarck, who was then struggling against the Catholic Church as he was trying to unify Germany. He famously declared that 'We are not going to Canossa', meaning he would not bow down to Church authority. Hence, the phrase 'going to Canossa' became a metaphor for humiliation.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Congratulations Hurin
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Congratulations! And it's good to hear from you again, Prof. Been far too long.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey