Thread: 1200 BC Mod-WIP/proposal

Default 1200 BC Mod-WIP/proposal

Hi All,

Just a mod I've started work on, and may move up to full-scale team recruitment and production/promotion if there is any interest.

What I have started work on is a mod taking place at 1200 BC give or take. This will include a list of various factions, which I'll list later.

The mod will be based on the Trojan Wars, Ancient Egypt's Pharaohs, Babylonia, and the biblical wars of the Old Testament as well.

Due to the time period, it will allow for a ton of artistic license, and I am already working on a large campaign map as well (roughly 2.5 times the size of the original campaign map in RTW) that covers from Italy to modern day Iran.

The game will of course have to take on a massive overhaul to make it totally awesome-new temples, new tech trees, and new units.

Faction List:
    -Trojans
    -Egyptians
    -Greek Cities (may be more than one faction)
    -Babylon
    -Persia
    -Hittites
    -Philistines
    -Phoenicians
    -Atlantis
    -Judea
    -Israel (the mod will take place at the onset of the split kingdoms, more details to come)
    -Assyrians

This is a list of 12, and with Greece split 14 or so, factions to start with that gives us room for 7 more. My idea is to make as many 'rebel' type factions spread around, as the world was by no means an organized place in this time.

The mod will based on either RTW or BI-I don't know yet. I would like to use the BI system of loyalty and religion if possible, but I've never modded BI, only RTW.

If in case the mod is accepted with interest, it will need modelers, skinners, and scripters, etc...
    Major Sir Horton III, ADC, Royal American Rifles, The King's Own.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default Re: 1200 BC Mod-WIP/proposal

Yes, soon my Persian empire will dominate all of Persia to Italy. Mwhaha.
    I just hope I don't suffer from a 300 moment.

Well, about the mod, it's got a nice set and a all. What about some features that it'll include? Also, BI is awfully similar to RTW in terms of mechanics etc. but not as many people have BI as they do RTW. Sure, I went to go get BI as soon as The Crusades announced it would take advantage of the BI engine, but that's me.

I'd help with unit creation, unit descriptions etc. (Most text-base work), but dear me, looks like I've got enough on my plate already with my mod for MTW:VI. *Sighs*
    Last edited by Raz; 02-01-2008 at 08:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Ossie The 1st Member Ossie The Great's Avatar
    Very far away........ ( which usally is the beach )

Hi
    i started a mod simular to this here, my aim is to put more work in to it once a finshed narnia total war , anyway i was wondering if you wanted to join up as i am a modeler and skinner and could help if we joined up. , and you are probabbly a better coder than me.

Yeah that's a good idea. I can't start work on anything right away-I have another mod in progress-but I am now working on the settlements, trying to find a good campaign map (I have started one, but I'm new to it and if there's one that will work already out there...) and I've got a modswitch ready for use for this mod as well. Basically, methinks we will need total ITEM and CAS overhauls, and we should ask the Troy: Total War team if we could use a few of their Trojan models.

Basically I am no modeler-I have gmax, so I cannot export my .CAS files once they are edited. I have not tried to use it with ITEM files.

For the strat, and indeed the battle map, we will need:

-Temple of Ba'al
    -Great Temple of Jerusalem (it's own tree could include the Ark of the Covenant, the Tabernacle, and then the Temple, since there's no shrine-temple-large-etc, etc...)
    -New models for the city buildings of the various cultures

Basically my impression of this era is that almost all the civilization of the west gathered around the 'Great Sea,' and so the mod will be perfect for the time period where everyone is trying to establish a firm hold on just living-then civilizing their area-then building an empire. What better era for Total War then an era when an entire civilization's destruction could rely on the fall of one city?!

Hi, I just stumbled across this and it looks very interesting. I happen to be taking a class on the ancient history of Iran this quarter, and though it's mainly about the Achaemenids, we went over this period a bit. Your faction list looks good so far, but I would suggest adding the kingdom of Elam (centered around the cities of Anshan and Susa) and maybe the Aramaeans.

Here's a little info from one of our text books, The Heritage of Persia, by Richard N. Frye :

The Elamaites:

"Most of the political history of Elam must have been concerned with the occupation of conquest of large areas of Persia on the plateau, and the constant raids westwards against the inhabitants of Mesopotamia. About 1175 BC a king of Elam, Shutruk-Nakhunte, captured the great and ancient city of Babylon carrying back to Susa his capitol great booty, among which was a diorite stone engraved with Hammurabi's law code, excavated by the French in 1901. Following an Elamite tradition, statues of the deities of various cities conquered by the Elamites, such as Marduk of Babylon and Nana, goddess of Uruk, were brought to Susa where the patron deity of the city, Inshushinak, held sway."

The Aramaeans:

"All around the 'Fertile Crescent' from the twelth century BC Aramaic-speaking nomads infiltrated and took power, forming small principalities, perhaps the foremost one of which in Syria was the territory of Damascus. In the Old Testement we read of the struggles of David and Solomon against the Aramaeans. In Mesopotamia the Assyrian annals mention that the Aramaeans were well ensconced here as they were on the other side of the Syrian desert. Their movement into the 'Fertile Crescent' resembles that later of the Arab tribes before Islam into the same territory."
    Yuezhi/Wusun historian & mapper for Asia ton Barbaron
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview I
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview II

Thanks Athkara-that's great info and your signature is great. I'll be sure and use it.

I was planning on having several 'free' factions included, so that various nomadic and barbarian civilizations are represented, but that will all have to fall into place. Right now Os decided to pursue other mods, and so I'm doing the project on my own. If anyone wants to join in... let me know!

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

A map is need?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Yes Caius, we are in need of a campaign map. I would like on as large as the engine will allow, and so I've not had much luck finding any help on it.

Well, right now and for the forseeable future I'm busy making the map for Asia ton Barbaron, but I can offer a bit of advise.

After looking through a bunch of mapping tutorals and such, I've found the max dimensions for map_heights (same as map_climates and ground_types) is 1021x1021. By comparison the vanilla dimensions are 511x313. And yeah, big campaign maps make the game a lot more fun than one with the same scale as vanilla.

Also, if you want a really good looking, and accurate, campaign map, and an easy job doing the map_heights file, this is the best way: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57828

Member Member antiochus epiphanes's Avatar

Hi
    Ok, i am back again and will start on the models as soon as i can, i will post some pics soon.

Also have u thought up any unit lists yet.
    Last edited by Ossie The Great; 02-13-2008 at 13:18.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Good luck with the project, Horton - I can't offer any assistance as my milieu is MTW, not RTW, but I do have a huge list of names that you can use if you like (including over 500 Egyptian ones, plus Greek, Hittite, Aramaean, Hebrew, Berber for instance). PM your email and I can send it to you
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Thanks for the text file Rufus, it will be very helpful.

I will start on a unit list for all the various factions. Any input would be welcome from anyone on anything with regards to the mod, so if you're debating posting here, go for it.

Right now, before anyone posts a "When will this be released" question, (they seem to pervade at least the twcenter's mod forums), note that I am planning a wedding and finishing up another mod before I can start in total earnest on this one. So from now till May 31 I will be working with Ossie on units, fiddling with the campaign map and descr_strat.txt, (which I really don't like lol) getting some of the new units in-game and so on.

Ok, i have nearly finshed the hittite , will post pics soon.

Also i could provide info for the Isralites, and Judea, as i have been studying them pratically all my life so know quite a lot about them :)
    Last edited by Ossie The Great; 02-14-2008 at 20:12.

Check out the board that Antiochus Epiphanes posted a link to. Probably lots to help you there.

Ok, i have been hard at work all ready.

Please do not count this as a finshd unit as a lot of work still need to go into its texture ( as i only spent about five minuetes on the texture ) but here is our first wip unit. ( i will post a pic tomorow with a better texture. )

New texture finshed will post pic soon
    Last edited by Ossie The Great; 02-16-2008 at 13:36.

Ok, finshed the new texture will post pic tonight.

Ok, here is the finshed texture ( apart from the odd detail here and there ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ossie The Great
    Ok, here is the finshed texture ( apart from the odd detail here and there ).

Looks pretty good

If I may make a suggestion ... or 2 .. I'd bend the shield a little and give the guy a belt to break up the units look a bit ...
    Anyway surelly not needed, just what I think would make the guy look even beter ...

G

That looks really great Os... My PC crashed last week so I've not been on but fortunately I was able to recover all the data.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

You could split the Greeks into the Achaeans or Mycenaeans and the Dorians (precursors of the Spartans,Macedonians,etc). The former were dominant in Greece at that time,while the latter invaded Greece between 1100 & 1200 BC.

I'm putting most of my input into Taranaich's Hyborian Age mod over in the M2 section,but I'll see what I can come up with concerning factions and units and get back to you soon.

BTW,that really sucks about your laptop. That's happened to me,but I LOST all my data instead. You have my sympathy.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 02-22-2008 at 18:16.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Well I was searching around for info on the Achaemenids, and out of the blue I found this,

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/historic_periods.php

The site has two articles about the Elamite Empire as well as some usefull pics. Hope this helps you on the research side for your mod; I really look forward to playing something on this time period.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

I'd like to help with the export_desc_unit files and unit stats-not much, but I'd like to help in any way possible (always wanted to play as Ashur)
    I also have ideas for faction symbols for some of the factions (I can't draw them in anything but paint or scan what I draw and e-mail, and let you decide), and I know some Akkadian, if you wish.
    so what do you say?
    again, not much, but I am recent in moding, and if this could help in any way, I offer my services
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 03-25-2008 at 01:07.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg