Thread: Greco-Celts?

Descendant of great Herakles Member Torvus's Avatar

Default Greco-Celts?

I always wondered what it would be like to have awesome Celtic heavy infantry alongside awesome Greek phalanxes. what do you guys think? Am I crazy? (obviously) or can my dream become reality with the help of the EB team?

Some people say I'm heartless. Shows what they know. I have three in a jar on my desk!

Default Re: Greco-Celts?

You can already get your hands on that combo as the successor factions & KH & Pontos... so, kinda: what are you waiting for?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Would the name Galatia ring a bell ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Would the name Galatia ring a bell ?
    Pharnakes!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Theres a few historical references to Gallogracians, such as ones that appeared at the battle of Magnesia I think it was, but these could have been Galatians that had mixed with natives, the offspring of them that could have taken on some Greek manners and culture, or, natives with Galatian/Gallic weapons and culture. Not too much detail is written on them. Just the name itself lends reference to some mix of Gaul and Greek in culture, blood, or both. In 198 B.C. Roman commander Vulso, referred to some of the Celts in Galatia as a degenerate mixed race (Gallogracian).

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    Pharnakes!

...you fail. In life.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Play Dacia, build a lvl 4 factional MIC just south of the Danube and pour out Thracian Heavy Infantry and Dacian Phalanxes.

@TellosAthenaios: Idk what you're talking about with KH, those guys are the ultimate Greek-only faction. As for Pontos, they're just unsatisfactory all the way around. Their Celtic units are mediocre, as are their Hellenistic ones.

@Ayce: Every time i attempt a Getai campaign, it all ends up in the hole because i am either too far in debt to ever get out without cheating, or the Sarmatians or Germans come along and wipe out my puny domain that took me thirty turns to build.

I picked up the Ptolemaoi, and decided that they and their Galatian heavy infantry are pretty much what i was looking for. unfortunately, they have no hoplites, one of my favorite units. sad.
    Last edited by Torvus; 02-01-2008 at 15:49.

Some people say I'm heartless. Shows what they know. I have three in a jar on my desk!

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

They have hoplites from Cyrene I think, and red sea hoplites from somewhere on the shores of the red sea as regionals.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Torvus
    @TellosAthenaios: Idk what you're talking about with KH, those guys are the ultimate Greek-only faction. As for Pontos, they're just unsatisfactory all the way around. Their Celtic units are mediocre, as are their Hellenistic ones.
    Try a lvl 4 government in Ankyra with a lvl 5 regional MIC. IIRC that gives you Tindanotae, the Galatian counterparts of the Gaesatae...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Thumbs up Re: Greco-Celts?

I picked up the Ptolemaoi, and decided that they and their Galatian heavy infantry are pretty much what i was looking for. unfortunately, they have no hoplites, one of my favorite units. sad.
    Amusing. I have a campaign where I was the Koinon-Hellenon and I migrated to Massalia, in southern Gaul. It was a fun campaign, with a mixture of Greek troops from Massalia, along with Gallic, Spanish, Italian, and German auxiliaries.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    PS: I think you might enjoy the Keltohellenikoi Hoplitai, a sort of thureophoroi with a Celtic twist. They can recruited by a variety of factions throughout Asia Minor, Greece, and Gaul.

@Ayce: Every time i attempt a Getai campaign, it all ends up in the hole because i am either too far in debt to ever get out without cheating, or the Sarmatians or Germans come along and wipe out my puny domain that took me thirty turns to build.
    Just go for Sarmisegetuza in the first turn. Gets you out of debt easily. Then go for Kallatis or -the province where the Scordisci live-

[QUOTE=Torvus
    @Ayce: Every time i attempt a Getai campaign, it all ends up in the hole because i am either too far in debt to ever get out without cheating, or the Sarmatians or Germans come along and wipe out my puny domain that took me thirty turns to build.[/QUOTE]

I took Kallatis first, then Sarmizthegusa. It took some tricky balancing and I didn't get out of debt completely till about 250 BC, but it has to be one of the easier campaigns I've played. I never even saw the Sarmatians and the Germans stayed allied with me until about 220, so I thought it was pretty neat. You've got some of the best assault infantry in the game(as well as the cheapest), so playing agressive really works. I wiped out Makedonia, Epeiros, the Koinon Hellenon, and Pontos. Yes, Pontos.
    I got tired of their attacks on Nikaia and launched an expedition to destroy them.
    Of course, I was playing on M/M. Good luck!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah
    Amusing. I have a campaign where I was the Koinon-Hellenon and I migrated to Massalia, in southern Gaul. It was a fun campaign, with a mixture of Greek troops from Massalia, along with Gallic, Spanish, Italian, and German auxiliaries.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    PS: I think you might enjoy the Keltohellenikoi Hoplitai, a sort of thureophoroi with a Celtic twist. They can recruited by a variety of factions throughout Asia Minor, Greece, and Gaul.
    I think i might try your first suggestion since I'm currently playing a KH campaign. I know i said i was the Ptolemaioi, but the desert fighting and the Grey Death annoyed me too greatly.

Does EB feature Auxilliary buildings where you can recruit the conquered nations units? Like in XGM, as pontos take ancyra and train galatians?

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

In my Averni campaign I have a couple units of Massilian hoplites roaming around. I have them charge into an enemy formation with their swords and then they switch to spears and start expanding their circle which completely disrupts the enemy line. Plus with their capes they look like superheroes . I also used Alpine phalanxes as the backbone of my army when I fought the Romans.

The flexibility of armies in EB is one of it's greatest charms.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    Does EB feature Auxilliary buildings where you can recruit the conquered nations units? Like in XGM, as pontos take ancyra and train galatians?
    The line of regional MICs is just for that.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    Uh, clearly you haven't played EB before, because all those who play EB know that the major feature of recruitment that EB has is the ability to recruit regional troops in addition and sometimes instead of their own factional troops.

EDIT: Damn, too slow.

EDIT2: @Woadandfangs

Arverni ftw! They rock. I roamed around with Massiliotai, and my elite infantries, in Spain, while fighting with a combined Celt-Belgae-Briton (Kluddargos working with Neitos and Mairepos is just too gay) army in Britannia, a hoplite, lonchophoroi, gaesatae and iaosatae army in Greece and a Thraikian/Skythian army with brihentin and a couple of soldurii in the Balkans. It owns. I love regional troops. I really, really, really, really love the flexibility. My only regret is that my Gauls can't recruit any units that start with 'Iberi' higher than Caetrati, even though they should have the availability, being so close to Spain. Hmm.
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 02-02-2008 at 03:12.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004