Thread: Vista

Default Vista

Can anyone offer any advice on installing MTW VI on Vista? When I install it and start playing if crashes after a couple of turns.
    Rick

Default Re: Vista

Fixed the title for ye, VISA is a credit card

Can't help you otherwise though.
    Abandon all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Can anyone offer any advice on installing MTW VI on Vista? When I install it and start playing if crashes after a couple of turns.
    Rick
    Hello Rick.
    I have MTW/VI installed on my PC and my OS is Vista, I don't have any problems.
    My GPU is an Nvidia 7600GT (as far as I am aware, there are still issues with 8 series cards and VI)
    What happens when you run a custom battle? With Vista allowing both Dx9 and Dx10, I am reluctant to accept a general VI - Vista incompatibilty

......Orda

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    Hello Rick.
    I have MTW/VI installed on my PC and my OS is Vista, I don't have any problems.
    My GPU is an Nvidia 7600GT (as far as I am aware, there are still issues with 8 series cards and VI)
    What happens when you run a custom battle? With Vista allowing both Dx9 and Dx10, I am reluctant to accept a general VI - Vista incompatibilty

......Orda
    Battels are fine. You're probably right, it doesn't look like a general VI Vista incompatibility.

To give you some background, I was running pike & musket fine before I applied the patch. I don't know why, but there is something in the patch that Vista doesn't like. I even tried to change the campatibility function, but no luck. The trouble is, no one else is complaining but me. Talk about feeling insecure.

Rick

try setting user account control to 'off', just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    try setting user account control to 'off', just a thought.
    Okay. But I thought this had to be done before the installation? I'll do it tonight and let you know.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Okay. But I thought this had to be done before the installation? I'll do it tonight and let you know.

Rick
    Rick, NOT A GOOD IDEA
    Maybe this thread should be moved to apothecary where there is usually a lot of good advice.
    Switching off UAC will give you more trouble than you are getting now

......Orda

Post Re: Vista

Welcome to the .Org Rick
    Might I request your full system specification.

You can get this by going into the "Start" menu and typing "dxdiag" in the integrated "Search" box. This will open the "Direct X Diagnostic Tool".

Once you are in, select "Save all Information". When the window comes up asking you where you wish to save it, simply place it somewhere where you can find it later.

Then close the tool and open the file.

Copy and paste everything in the file into a post in this thread. Not all of it is important, but certain aspects of it are critical in diagnosing and resolving your problem.

Good luck

BTW, you may wish to investigate this thread. It contains solutions for all Nvidia Geforce graphics cards with the exception of the Geforce 8 Series (which is fully incompatible with M:TW). ATi cards are much trickier, especially on Vista.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 02-04-2008 at 16:34.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites
    Welcome to the .Org Rick
    Might I request your full system specification.

BTW, you may wish to investigate this thread. It contains solutions for all Nvidia Geforce graphics cards with the exception of the Geforce 8 Series (which is fully incompatible with M:TW).
    Hmmm. I wasn't aware the Nvidia Geforce incompatibility. I'll check it out an repost. Thanks.

Rick

Did you get it sorted out?

Strange one Orda, IMO user account control allows programs without needing permission, even when I set mine to admin i still needed to ask myself permission, it just cancelled all programs..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    Did you get it sorted out?

Strange one Orda, IMO user account control allows programs without needing permission, even when I set mine to admin i still needed to ask myself permission, it just cancelled all programs..
    Thanks for asking. I've been working some late hours and haven't had a chance. I should get to it Saturday and will post the results.

Rick

Here is my system info:

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 2/9/2008, 08:56:36
    Machine name: RICK-PC
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: GT5620
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 2038MB RAM
    Page File: 766MB used, 3526MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

From what computer magazines I've read for the past 3 months, survey of Vista users indicated approximately 30% were dissatisfied with some part of the OS or the other. Anyway, a survey is just a tally of respondents' opinions. Maybe it's true that Vista has some teething pains, at this time. But me, I'm the conservative type--I'd prefer to go back to XP and install my games there. At least, I'd be walking the tried-and-tested paths, and have plenty of people to ask around for advise. Hawooh.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." ~Salvor Hardin

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Rick made it work:

I found that Pike & Musket likes to run exclusively on a graphics 800 x 600. You have to change everything to 800 x 600, including your desktop (there maybe a way around this, but it will be a while before I find it). Anyway, I've been playing through P&M 1.5 for quite a few turns. I feel optimistic. I'm going to make a copy of my P&M 1.5 file and apply the patch. If it works after that I may be on to something.
    +

Of course, the most important thing is to change the graphics from 32 bits to 16 bits. Once you do this you can set it for 1024 x 768.