Thread: x turns a year

Default x turns a year

As the title says, basicly I'd like to know a bit more about the characteristics of more than 2 turns a year ..

I know that a fair share of the community uses the 4-TPY-script and as I havent used it so far myself I figure asking people who have used it for campaigns would yield better results than try it out myself for a few turns ...

What I'm basicly after is a 12-TPY-script with a game-balance that very much over/under-balances some factions in winter/summer, together with huge desert/woodland-bonusses and so make it say pretty much impossible to take the desert from egyptians without a very well organised campaign, or take land from "winter-people" during the winter-turns ... etc etc ...

I'm not even sure if I can make decent combat-diffences in this area wich also shows in auto-calc, though for the sake of this concept I'll currently take for granted that it will, at least up to a certain amount ..

Anyway, back to the x-TPY-script, what I'd like to know is how people age, and how characters come to age, etc etc. Will you eventually be burried under family diplomats, spies .... when using 12-TPY or will age also be frosen, I recall something about characters only aging on a winter-turn, wich would mean a 4-turn winter isnt really an option ....

Basicly I'm just playing around with a few idea's that I think can really augment a campaign-game ....

edit;
    I'll answer my own stupid questions .... :)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...0&postcount=16

G
    Last edited by Red Spot; 02-01-2008 at 18:29.

Default Re: x turns a year

About the character aging, I know that characters only age when the season changes from winter to summer. So you can use a 12-tpy script with as much winter turns as you like (3 or 4 or whatever) and the characters will only age 1 time per year (1 time every 12 turns in this case).

About different combat behavior in the different seasons, I think the team of Europa Barbarorum use traits to get something similar. Last time I tested EB, they gave a trait to all characters at the start of the winter (reducing the movement points, for example) and at the start of the summer they removed this trait again. I'm sure you can obtain more useful ideas about winter/summer behavior from that EB mod.

Thanks for the reply Bardo and thanks for pointing out that trait in EB, it is actually 1 of the 4 mods I have installed (EB, RS, FATW and EOD2) though havent yet had(taken) a chance to actually play it .. must admit that in particular the 4 mentioned mods .. er .. spread a lot of inspiration

G

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Where do I change the number of turns per year?

Note: A visual aid would help me exponentially.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Actually this is done via scripting (no such code as "turns_per_year=x"), so you will have to read a tutorial or see how mods do it. Not very hard actually this specific part of scripting.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

If you use the latest version of my script generator, there is a workaround included so that characters don't age on the winter-winter transitions.

It works as you would expect, with characters aging once per year, regardless of the number of winter turns per year.