Thread: Raising undead from defeated armies, suggestion/discussion

Default Re: Gratuitous Eye Candy Thread

amazing mod guys i mean wow these images are truly epic haha.... is it even possible for say an army of zombies kills a human army but takes heavy casualties could some of the dead humans change to zombies after the battle as a way to replenish your zombie ranks?

yo Roma welcome to the forums and what you are asking is I think not possible, you have to basically modify the engine itself to do that ( illegal). Hope that helps.
    for the Empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Eufarius
    yo Roma welcome to the forums and what you are asking is I think not possible, you have to basically modify the engine itself to do that ( illegal). Hope that helps.
    for the Empire!
    But after a battle you are given the choice of excecuting your enemy, releasing them, och ransom them? Shouldn't it be easy enough to turn those into your own army?
    But then again, then they would have to be turned into zombies, and that could be more complicated.
    "Life is pain, get over it."

Tue problem is that it wouuld take an enourmous amount of coding and plus as the undead I think they hate all life and would want to end it.

lol yea but still the undead need new zombies to munch on enemy armies xD

Well, what if each race, would, when conquered yield a special Zombie Unit for the conqueror?

Ie-
    Zombie Orcs
    Zombie Saurus
    etcetera, etcetera. It would probably just be a reskin, after all

What?
    I doubt it maybe as mercenaries like you can put a trigger whenever a faction is destroyed, you'd have to go to their capital and then you can recruit it. At extremely high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreq-Kai
    Well, what if each race, would, when conquered yield a special Zombie Unit for the conqueror?

Ie-
    Zombie Orcs
    Zombie Saurus
    etcetera, etcetera. It would probably just be a reskin, after all

ooo thats good idea xD

Is there any way to implement a similar system to Heroes of Might and Magic Necropolis armies. Their Necromancy skill allowed them to raise a % of undead after a victorious battle. It also allowed you to pick what kind of undead you wanted to raise, depending on what you fought. This would help a lot with making the Undead grow and become larger than their enemies, as they should be.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hmm, it might be possible to have perhaps units of undead appear in your capital as you win victories using a script, but it wouldn't be that good a feature, would be a lot of work and would require a script. I wouldn't count on it...

EDIT: This belongs in the suggestions thread, I'll split and move it.

Default Re: Raising undead from defeated armies, suggestion/discussion

hmm that script sound interesting shame there is not and inslave option
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

This has been discussed before, and bottom line is: Raising dead in any form is virtually impossible, giving Vampire counts immensely high recovery rates after victorious battles to represent new zombies/skeletons being raised is not.

Necromancers will be represented by a ancillary that enhances healing rates.

Ah, that's stinks they can't make some kind of in-battle "raise the dead" skill. How awesome would that be. Summoning , or calling reinforcements while in battle wouldn't work either to simulate this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel*Faith
    Ah, that's stinks they can't make some kind of in-battle "raise the dead" skill. How awesome would that be. Summoning , or calling reinforcements while in battle wouldn't work either to simulate this?
    you cant call reinforcements that are not there when the battle starts on the campaign map

o well the healing rate increased will work just as well. Altho the script is a great idea xD but i dont want yall to have to work any harder then you allready are

wait what if it was possible to give the race a senate or like evil council like in rome an for certain armies death the senate would reward zombies from the battle or something.....

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I think adding traits and ancilliaries like Necromancer which allow very high healing rates after battles should be sufficient, you replenish your dead by raising them (from both armies).

How bout increasing the rate (if possible) at which Undead troops heal losses after battle to represent the Necromancer replenishing his army with new corpses.

Dang foolish me didnt read the whole thread before posting ><

No worries it happens to a lot of people.
    The script idea I suggested night work but you would have to activate a script that you would have to code in, and I think we want them to release this as fast as they can. Another good idea would be using the AOR system in and around the Undead parts of their cities, maybe you can start with undead empire solds' and then as you keep conquering more of the other race.
    Its up to Bwian to decide.

is it possible to have mercenary units only available on one of those little markers that pop up on the campain map after a battle.
    if so just have a whole bunch of undead units as cheap mercenaries there

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Well, that'd only work on big battles, if at all possible. And then there's always the fact that the AI won't take advantage of this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

This isn't really a workable thing to do.

In my exceptionally limited modding experience its impossible to do the following very well:

1. Keep track of exactly how many of each side died in a particular battle. At best you can find out what kind of victory/loss it was and the ratio of the troop numbers that entered it.

2. Add units to an existing stack out in the field. It is possible to script add units to specific cities in the game based on an event (not all of them for some reasons). Or add armies of pre determined composition to certain areas on certain dates (mongol invasion etc.).

I think the best you could do is add units to the factions capital city each turn depending on a certain stat. E.g. give the leader of the faction an attribute 'Necromancy' and a skill level that goes up or down depending on how many battles he wins and that effects the number of free units you gain and their quality.

In practice it's a little unworkable and causes all kind of problems associated with these troops spawning especially when capital is lost.

It would be much better to give the undead type factions a really simple free to train and free upkeep basic infantry unit with 1,1,1 stats (incredibly high morale though, no reason to run away) and each city can make 1-3 of them per turn depending on their size. I think that works far better than messing around with scripts that may not work very well.

i would say make them free to build the undead units but then have a high upkeep to represent the necromancers struggling to keep control of so many undead

i agree all of these ideas seem to work well...