Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bug list

Default Re: Bug list

The log file (system.log.txt) can be found here: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\logs.

This mod still has some bugs which I need to sort out (though they seem to occur a lot in the 1200 campaign for some reason). To help me fix these errors I also need to know which faction you were playing as and which campaign you were playing (1080, 1200, etc).
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    This mod still has some bugs which I need to sort out (though they seem to occur a lot in the 1200 campaign for some reason). To help me fix these errors I also need to know which faction you were playing as and which campaign you were playing (1080, 1200, etc).
    I was playing as Norway in the 1200 campaign - it's my fave campaign because it's more technologically advanced, but not so far as to have guns, and the empires are more or less set correctly, heh.

Anyway here's the log I got from it:

Code:
    16:56:39.156 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    16:56:39.156 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    16:56:39.156 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    16:56:39.156 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    16:56:39.156 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    16:56:39.171 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    16:56:39.171 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    16:56:39.171 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    17:03:07.750 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    It crashed, once again, as the Kievan Rus' AI was acting on the strategy map.

Also, I've noticed this a lot...the .bat file shows 'Invalid number of parameters' once, irrespective of the campaign selected...perhaps that has something to do with it? It never did it in 2.2, I notice...

Was Kiev Rus at war with another faction? If so did they take another factions settlement?

The Kievan Rus were only at war with the Cuman Khanate, and the Cumans had besieged Kiev...my guess in that case would be that the Kievans sallied out and lost the battle, perhaps?

There's something I'd like you to try. I've found when Sweden loses a settlement to another faction the mod crashes (often during the AI's turn). To fix this bug you need to go to:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...51#post2641851

Download the 'historic_events.txt' file and put it in the 'eras/data/text' folder (overwrite the existing file). See if this fixes the problem, if not let me know.

Yes, that solved the problem. Thankyou! :)

It died again on the very next AI turn - this time it waited until it was the rebel's go. I had, the turn before, defeated a rebel AI army which I believe melted away to nothing (77% killed), although it might've melted away into the woodlands around near Bergen. :(
    Last edited by Arcana; 08-14-2008 at 16:55.

Was the error log different?

Nope. Same error log by the looks of things, except for the numbers it gave. Just in case they mean something to you, here it is:

Code:
    16:50:17.796 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    16:50:17.796 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    16:50:17.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    16:50:17.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    16:50:17.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    16:50:17.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    16:50:17.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    16:50:17.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    16:52:07.859 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Arcana; 08-15-2008 at 19:12.

I've fixed several bugs and put all the files in 2.3 patch.7z file. Try downloading it, unpacking it, and put its contents into the 'eras\data' folder (default location 'C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\eras\data') and see if this fixes the problem.

If this doesn't fix the problem I'll need a copy of your save file.

Thanks, that seems to have sorted it. I played a few turns and no crashy. :)

I noticed a weird trait on my King Haakon of Norway, tho - nothing crippling, it just didn't seem to fit. He is apparently Culturally "Roman". Also, while being Defender of the Faith he is also simultaneously Atheist. Surely there should be antitraits here? :P

Did his traits change after you installed the patch? Sometimes when you install a new version of a traits file with more or less traits than the previous M2TW gets confused and displays the wrong text.

Seems that that was the case possibly...and I'm sorry for late reply - I've been away road trippin' in Scotland the past week. I'll get back to playing soon :p

New minor texture bug found - English Levy Spearmen have the placeholder unit card texture (grey Peasants). :(

Will keep my eyes peeled.

Oh, by the way - is there any way to reduce the probability a general might get a trait? Every general seems to be Overconfident all the time and it's impossible to get a truly great general whilever that trait exists. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen sometimes but it seems to be a really rampant trait. :(

I'll add the Levy spearmen image to the right data\ui\units folder.

Regarding the overconfident trait this has been a problem for a while. It should only trigger when a general wins a major victory but it seems to trigger whenever they have more than 7 stars.

Seems to trigger when they've got no stars in my experience. Most of my 0-star retard generals have overconfident trait. =(
    Last edited by Arcana; 09-10-2008 at 16:35.

Another placeholder unit card - Portugese Javelinmen have the peasants unit card picture. Also, so too do Welsh Skirmishers.
    Last edited by Arcana; 09-26-2008 at 15:14.

Hello,
    my 2.4 game crashs in the 1400 campaign at the Lithuania turn.
    I play with Eastern Rom and and the two bugfixes were installed.
    Here is the log.

17:00:30.625 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    17:00:30.625 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    17:00:30.672 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    17:00:30.719 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    17:00:30.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    17:00:30.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    17:00:30.875 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    17:00:30.891 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    17:07:13.859 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    It would be nice if somebody can help me.

Can you save your game the turn before the crash and upload the save file to rapidshare (I need it for testing purposes).

Your save files are located in the 'C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\eras\saves' folder.

Here is the savegame http://rapidshare.com/files/151486456/03.sav.html.

Maybe it is a problem that I use the german version?

Some other rather unusual behaviour in game:

1) No music plays on the campaign map as Wales.
    2) Also, they have no family tree. Is this because they use the Teutonic Order's slot? It doesn't have any effect on gameplay I guess, but I noticed it...
    3) I couldn't call a crusade on the Cuman Khanate (1200), even though they're a muslim faction...is crusade-able factions restricted to the Holy Land and any excommunicated factions? Maybe this is simply a vanilla gameplay element I hadn't noticed before (in which case ignore it :P )
    4) I spotted some more units with weirded cards/unit preview pics. Will get the list soon.

Mocha I'm trying to find the cause of the crash. So far I've ruled out guilds, traits, ancillaries, and the campaign script. I don't think I've come across this bug before.

1) This is a bug, I'll have to look into it (I probably forgot to add them to the 'eras\data\world\maps\base\descr_sounds_music_types.txt'.

2) Wales does not have a family tree because the High King of Wales was not an heraditory title (in many cases it was awarded post humorously).

3) Crusades can only be called against regions that have a high Catholic Christian population but are not controlled by an Christian faction or are controlled by an excommunicated Christian faction. Also some regions have the a 'crusade' hidden resource, which allows you to call crusades against them regardless of how Christian they are. Try sending some priests to one of the Cuman Khanate's regions to make it more Christian.

4) Awaiting the list.

Oh, additional: Noticed many factions have their campaign map flags all swap-changed everywhere.

F'rinstance:

Ireland have a Rebel crossed-swords flag. The Eastern Roman Empire have the Irish Harp, some Rebel armies bear a red Templar-like cross.

And ahh, didn't know that about 2 and 3. Thanks :) Will get back to you sometime today about the unit cards. I'm going to start a campaign as every faction to try find them. :P

Also, Diplomats sometimes gain a trait called User of Religion when they're trained near a Merchants' Guild. I get the feeling the names are crossed, since the actual trait involves a 10% cost to bribe (can Diplomats even be bribed?).

Also, found out that Ayyubid Sudanese Tribesmen and the HRE's Germanic Sergeant Spearmen are invisible in battle - you can see the Sudanese Tribesmen's shadows, but their bodies aren't there. The GSS don't even have shadows.

Hokai, here is your list of what I got so far:

1200 Campaign:
    Welsh Skirmishers (as mentioned previously) have no unit card or unit description pic - they use the RTW peasant placeholder.
    Meirionnydd Spearmen - Unit Description picture only (the unit card pic is ok)

Also, a Venetian cardinal spawns in Florence region, which is HRE controlled in this campaign.

English Levy Spearmen have no unit card pic. They are also, strangely, weaker than the European Spear Militia...which doesn't make a lot of sense considering that Levy Spearmen are trained from castle.
    European Merchant Cavalry Milita have no unit card or description pic.

Empires Campaign
    Kalmar Union Sword-Staff Militia have no unit card or description pic.
    Sufavids Dynasty faction profile speaks of a rocket launcher, but isn't one.

Also experienced a strange crash mid-battle against the HRE. They had a spear-heavy army (mostly european spearmen and militia, with a couple of peasant archers). My army was comprised of albanian cavalry, bulgar brigands and peasant archers, and lots of spearmen. I've used this army before without trouble and the battle started without incident. I was just running some troops to flank and the game decided to go nuts. Probably JOOTT but thought I'd mention. No units seemed to be missing their models either. The battle occurred just north of Pest, on a very craggy terrain with a henge on it.
    Last edited by Arcana; 10-10-2008 at 14:13.

Hm, seems I've hit a crashy bug on this turn. It happens when the Rebels faction logo is displayed in the AI turns.

I have created a rapidshare link with system.log.txt and my savegame as I'm unsure exactly what happened to cause it, or what was happening at the time. My guess is that a rebel settlement got captured.

Linky

Arcana I checked out your save file and was able to find the problem. In the 1200 campaign I misnamed an event in the campaign script file (local_crusader_king and local_crusader_regeant) so when your king died the mod couldn't find the event and crashed. I then corrected the event in the campaign script file and tested the mod, only to have it crash from the same error again. I then realised that a save file doesn't register any changes in the campaign script, so I made a new event with the incorrect name and this fixed the problem. I'll upload the fixed file a part of a patch, along with the other missing files.

Also Arcana the reason why some of the strat flag symbols are wrong is that you've made this mod into a Kingdoms mod (your error log mentioned a lot of files in the Americas campaign). In Kingdoms it ignores the 'eras\data\banners\symbols9.tga' file; so Byzantium, Sweden, Bulgaria, Ireland, Croatia, and Cyprus will all have the wrong faction symbol. To fix this problem rename the 'symbols9.tga' file 'symbols10.tga', 'symbols10.tga' file 'symbols11.tga', and 'symbols11.tga' file 'symbols9.tga'. This should give you the correct strat flag symbols.

Regarding your mid battle crash if you have a lot of units in one place this can cause the mod to crash (usually during castle sieges). Try fighting the battle on a lower unit size setting.

The trait problem was due to a trait in the 'eras/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt' file being given the wrong name. I've modified this. I don't know why a diplomat had a trait making them more easy to bribe (I didn't make the traits) but I've changed it so they have more chance to bribe someone else.

I was able to fix the invisible Sudanese Tribesmen but I'm having trouble with the Germanic Sergeant Spearmen. Can you see them when they're controlled by factions other than the HRE? Also what armour level are they at?

Mocha I'm still invetigating your crash. I don't think it's related to the campaign script.
    Last edited by uanime5; 10-11-2008 at 14:28. Reason: Trait problem added

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    Also Arcana the reason why some of the strat flag symbols are wrong is that you've made this mod into a Kingdoms mod (your error log mentioned a lot of files in the Americas campaign). In Kingdoms it ignores the 'eras\data\banners\symbols9.tga' file; so Byzantium, Sweden, Bulgaria, Ireland, Croatia, and Cyprus will all have the wrong faction symbol. To fix this problem rename the 'symbols9.tga' file 'symbols10.tga', 'symbols10.tga' file 'symbols11.tga', and 'symbols11.tga' file 'symbols9.tga'. This should give you the correct strat flag symbols.
    Weird. I haven't actually done anything to it myself, save lowering a few of the loyalty drops from some of the titles (eg, changing -2 to -1 Loyalty for King of Ireland) and a couple of traits (such as 'negligent' - why should being an idiot lower your loyalty?). But I'll do that switcharoo before I next play.

I was able to fix the invisible Sudanese Tribesmen but I'm having trouble with the Germanic Sergeant Spearmen. Can you see them when they're controlled by factions other than the HRE? Also what armour level are they at?
    I haven't met them controlled by another faction. I didn't get a look at their armour level. The bad news is i completely annihilated the German army in question. I'll try get a look at another such unit once the patch is out and I can make it through to the next turn. :) I wouldn't imagine they were above Leather Tanner, though...

hello
    excellent mod, thanks for adding Croatia
    this problem appeared when I play as Croatia, everytime I attempted to construct a ship the game crashed

The reason for this crash is that Croatia and Lithuania don't have any admirals assigned to them. I've made a patch to fix this which is available here:

thank you for the pach it works fine now

like ''arcana'' I also have a proflem with the flags, I attempted to fix it as you proposed

''To fix this problem rename the 'symbols9.tga' file 'symbols10.tga', 'symbols10.tga' file 'symbols11.tga', and 'symbols11.tga' file 'symbols9.tga'. This should give you the correct strat flag symbols.''

it did not work, can you think of something else that could cause this problem

and one last thing is there a reason whay Zagreb Region can trade with every neighboring region except with the Hungary regions from the very beginning ?

thanks for your help
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12