Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug list

Default Bug list

This is a thread for people to report any bugs they find in this mod.

The information I need depends on what type of bug you find.

1) If the mod crashes after loading for a battle (but before the battle starts) then one of the units is missing a texture. To solve this problem I need to know what units you and your opponent were using (including armour upgrades), and which factions you and the computer were using.

2) If the mod crashes on the strat map after you do something I need to know what you did and in which campaign.

3) If the mod unexpectedly crashed on the strat map after you end your turn but before your next turn starts then the computer is doing something that is causing the mod to crash. I need to know what the computer did and in which campaign.

This thread on TWC also contains information about bug in this mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144870
    Last edited by uanime5; 08-25-2008 at 12:06. Reason: Crash information
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Default Re: Bug list

Are battles, with that new battle formation, supposed to make troops run out of castle, a short while after you order them in? Is it do because of ememy soldiers still being on the walls and now you can't just simply "bypass" them, run for the center of town, and have them come off the walls and then get slaughtered by you? bloody !!! Exploit fixed??? Nah, I'm just joking. I'll get used to it in time, perhaps even love it.
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

The battle formations and AI actions are part of an AI improving mod by GrandViZ.

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5
    The battle formations and AI actions are part of an AI improving mod by GrandViZ.

Totally fine. I was used to it by 3 oclock yesterday morning.

Great mod!

I wonder why so many people are having the campaigns always start in 1400. I'm playing 970 just fine.
    Last edited by Wladyslaw IV; 05-02-2008 at 01:55.

This mod has to copy several files to change the campaign, for example to play the 1300 campaign the mod has to copy the 1300 campaign versions of the files to the files M2TW uses. If this mod cannot do this it will default to the last campaign it was set to (this is 1400 because this was the last campaign I tested).

They're probably just running the bat and hitting enter, not picking a number for one of the campaigns.

REPLY - so you get the email

Any named character, be it king, diplomat, general, priest, dies far too often. Maybe you should lower the variables.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

EDIT

Seljuk (spelling myself) is spelt wrong.

EDIT

Some reason the Danish diplomat will say, written, the Kingdom of Denmark, but says "I've come bearing word from Scotland" or whatever and will also have a Scottish accent.

EDIT

Something else. My preference settings get reset to default every time I boot up the game. Does this affect a saved game that I would have to set them back every time I want to continue a campaign, or are the preferences stored in the save file and I would only have to set them back for every new game?
    Last edited by Wladyslaw IV; 05-04-2008 at 06:16.

The diplomats / priests keep dying because I've changed the age at which agents and general start to die from 60 to 18. If you wish them to live longer open the eras/data/descr_campaign_db.xml file and change the

<old_age uint="18"/>
    to
    <old_age uint="50"/>

and they won't die until they're 50.

This mod changes to lower setting because it is programmed to do this. To raise the setting just open the 'eras.cfg' and change the following settings to the values below:

building_detail = high
    effect_quality = high
    unit_detail = high
    vegetation_quality = high

The Danish diplomats say the come from Scotland because of an error with the sound files (I thought I'd corrected all these problems).

I keep the settings on low so I can jack up unit sizes to huge.

Maybe I'll just replace that file with the default one.

Comment though:

Is vanilla M2 still playable with this, where exactly can I find those two files overwritten (as if I'll need them) and can Kingdoms be installed and still run (vanilla) over this?

EDIT

You said only the basic units are available in 970. What are the 'requirements' for the more advanced ones, later on? Time?
    Last edited by Wladyslaw IV; 05-07-2008 at 11:42.

The vanilla and kingdoms are both playable if this mod is installed (the Kingdoms mods are installed in a seperate folder).

The files this mod adds to the vanilla data folder are the 'data\ui\strategy.sd' and 'data\ui\shared.sd'. These files just tell M2TW where to find the new faction shields, so they shouldn't affect the vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Wladyslaw IV
    You said only the basic units are available in 970. What are the 'requirements' for the more advanced ones, later on? Time?
    *coughs* Ahem.

EDIT

Is there anyway to make 7 turns to end a war upon Papal "suggestion" to 10 turns? or even 12?
    Last edited by Wladyslaw IV; 05-07-2008 at 22:55.

Time is required for the chainmail (1000) and archers (1066) events.

I haven't ever tried to increse the length of mission but this may work. Open the 'eras\data\descr_missions.txt' file and find the following:

Code:
    mission	cease_hostilities ; (NOT SUITABLE FOR VARIANTS)
    {
        POPE_MISSION
        image_path_issued	pope_mission_issued
        image_path_expired	pope_mission_expired
        image_path_success	pope_approval
        image_path_failed	pope_mission_failed
        duration 5
        score_modifier 0.8
        turn_start		3
        paybacks
    and change the 'duration' from 5 to 10. This should make the mission last a longer number of turns.

Hi, first post here :)

First of all, let me just congratulate you on a great mod. This mod got me back into M2:TW. Finally, a mod which all but dispenses with annoying rebels and makes the game about a dozen times more entertaining and challenging. I love it. :)

I'd like to report that the screen cuts to black on the strategic map when you try to view Italy in 2.2. Now, I did try to use the fixed descr_rebel_factions.txt file you uploaded, however it didn't seem to make any difference - it still happens. However I've noticed it only happens in wintertime, and it seems to be prevalent in the 1200AD campaign.

Sorry if I'm being a n00b by posting this as I'd guess you prolly already know about it, but anyway I thought I'd mention it.

Also - just a thought - but I'm sure that professional units should probably be better than their equivalent militia - in the 1200 campaign I noticed that the English Levy Spearmen, according to unit card, is actually slightly worse than the Spear Militia. I'm unsure as to how many other units have this, but I just noticed it early on and thought it seemed a bit off.

Anyway, sorry for taking up your valuable time, and good luck with the mod :) I shall be watching it with great interest! :)

Hi there. I just downloaded your mod and thanks to some of your answers I was able, for the very first time ever, to adjust a mod to my own preferences. Thanks.

That being said, I wanted to report three issues which are appearing in my employment of your Era's mod.

The time is 970, the faction, Hispania, and I'm seeing three things.

First thing - an old problem I first encountered in Deos Vult, there is a massive depression outside Toledo to the northwest which, if one's army is in the area, makes fighting a battle impossible. Your entire force is literally stuck in a hole provided of course you don't end up with a CTD if you happen to have unit size set to huge and have a full strength stack. That needs to be addressed.

Second thing - some of the units are insisting that they look like grey roman peasents. It's not just one, but several. Nearly all the moslem units which the Spanish can recruit, save the peasents, have that sprite on their unit card. They dont' look like Roman peasents on the field, Granadine Jinettes are clearly on horseback carrying javilings, but the sprite on the card insists on being a Roman peasent so it makes moving them about on the battle difficult since you have to read before you can be certain to select.

Third thing- for some crazy reason or another, the banners carried be each of your armies on the main map is in a persistant state of design change. One moment they look like they are supposed to, tall and narrow with shading to represent relative strength, then they become small little squares, then they become short and wide. It's really having no effect on game play, but it does look funky.

So if you could address these issues, it would be a good thing. Otherwise, I like very much what you have done, especially the part about how to adjust the settings so that I can address a few things on my own.

1) I have no idea how to fix this, it may involve redrawing the map or changing the terrain. My mod and the Deos Vult mod most likely have the same problem because we're using the same Big Map mod.

2) This is due to missing unit cards (the grey peasant is the default card). Adding the missing unit cards will fix this problem.

3) I don't know why this is happening but I think it's related to the large number of faction symbols I'm using.

Unanime: 2) This is due to missing unit cards (the grey peasant is the default card). Adding the missing unit cards will fix this problem.

Me: Okay . . . that's something I have no clue as to how to do. Are you saying that they are already there in the mod and I need to make a few adjustments or are you saying that you need to fix that?

You could fix it if you unpacked the vanilla mod, however it's probably easier for me to fix it.

Okay, after playing about 100 years of Hispania from 970 I decided to play the Irish from 1200. I kicked the English out and launched a crusade and got my first diplomats out and discovered two new bugs, one of which was just the bug in the 970 Era, and the other killed the game for me.

First bug - as I noted, the Grey Roman Peasents showed up. Well they show up in 1200 as well in the Irish faction, but this time they are the picture in the Unit description box.

Second bug - Irish Diplomats and Priests get one mission for their entire lifespan. I've got two heretics spreading heresy in Ireland and four priests who have already tried to eliminate them once. Consequently they are no longer able to stop heresy as they are convinced they already performed a mission this turn . . . same with the Diplomats, but it wasn't as annoying since the English seemed determined to bribe them after a few turns so I was making a new diplomat for each mission. Never the less I simply no longer wish to play the game with this issue. It renders useless some rather important units. That needs to be fixed asap.

You have some very nice ideas, but the Mod needs some polishing and this bug has to be addressed.

Default bug report

I have played version 2.3, it's awesome. TKS!
    The bug found:
    1500AD, Venice, the family tree button is grey cannot be trigged.

Venice doesn't have a family tree since the Doge was elected, not the son of the previous Doge. Several other faction also don't have family trees for similar reasons (HRE and Teutonic Order).

I found 2 bugs well 1 cant be clasified as a bug
    Anyway im playing as Serbia and the Serbian Husars have their weapons flying over their heads its really weird

The other not so bug is that serbian commanders say yes my SULTAN!!
    We didnt have a sultan so is there a way to make them talk like byzantine or other commanders

well it didnt let me post an image with 1 post so here it is

Hi, I have a bug to report.

Just downloaded the 2.3, and started a 1200 campaign as Norway.

I besieged Stockholm on turn 2 or 3, and then the Swedish sent an army to attack me, and then I elected to fight on the battle map. While the loading screen came up it crashed to blackscreen and I had to alt+F4 to remove it. I will check other campaigns to see if battles in general crash it, or whether it seems to be a one-off.

Sorry for the doublepost, I can't see how to edit the post above - No, it doesn't seem to have an effect on other battles. I attacked Ireland and France as England and nothing happened. It might be because multiple enemies took part? Unsure...

Also, the Longboat uses the Peasant picture in the unit description. Now I know this may be a placeholder, but if not I thought I should mention it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 15Seraph15 View Post
    I found 2 bugs well 1 cant be clasified as a bug
    Anyway im playing as Serbia and the Serbian Husars have their weapons flying over their heads its really weird

The other not so bug is that serbian commanders say yes my SULTAN!!
    We didnt have a sultan so is there a way to make them talk like byzantine or other commanders
    The Serbian Hussar bug is probably a mesh error. I'll have to check the mesh file.

The Serbian commanders say Sultan because the sound files this mod uses contain too many Middle Eastern voices and not enough European ones (I ended up with the version I have by chance after trying to make the Xenophile mod work, so I don't want to try to change it). Changing where the faction is in the descr_sm_factions.txt files will change their voice type but it can also change every other voice type.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Hi, I have a bug to report.

Just downloaded the 2.3, and started a 1200 campaign as Norway.

I besieged Stockholm on turn 2 or 3, and then the Swedish sent an army to attack me, and then I elected to fight on the battle map. While the loading screen came up it crashed to blackscreen and I had to alt+F4 to remove it. I will check other campaigns to see if battles in general crash it, or whether it seems to be a one-off.

Also, the Longboat uses the Peasant picture in the unit description. Now I know this may be a placeholder, but if not I thought I should mention it.
    This was most likely caused by a missing texture. Can you please tell me which units were in your army and the Swedish army, so I can check them.

The Peasant picture is a placeholder and shows that a unit image is missing. Which faction has this peasant image instead of the longboat one?

The Norwegian faction has the peasant placeholder. I haven't checked, but I imagine it's the same story with any faction which uses Longboats.

And the same thing occurred with Denmark too, when I sieged Oslo and the sieging army was attacked by Norwegian forces. In the army, I had European Spear Militia, European Peasant Archers, a General and I think maybe some Viking Raiders possibly. I would imagine the Norwegians (and indeed the Swedish in the Norwegian problem) had much the same sort of kit.
    Basically, whatever forces you start the game with as either Norway or Denmark it occurred with as I had hired no mercenaries at that point with Norway. I did hire two Mercenary Spearmen as Denmark, though I doubt it is them.

Also, a point for Denmark - When you start the Danish campaign, you have a Danish princess, Cardinal and Merchant...all of which spawn on the Iberian Peninsula. Quite a way away from Denmark! :P

I've found the problem, the Norwegian Spear Militia were missing a shield texture. To fix this problem go to the website below, download the 'final kite_norway_norm.rar', unpack it, and put the 'final kite_norway_norm.texture' in the 'eras\data\unit_models\attachmentsets' folder (default location 'C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\eras\data\unit_models\attachmentsets').

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...51#post2641851

The Danish agents were on the Iberian Peninsula because I forgot to change their vanilla coordinates (let me know if you find any other agents in the wrong place).
    Last edited by uanime5; 08-08-2008 at 00:40.

Thankyou! :) It works fine now, however I noticed this texture bug during the ensuing battle. It was a Swedish unit of Scouts - I can't comment as to whether it affects all Scouts.

Also I'm sure you're aware of the nationality voice bug where different factions seem to have the wrong accent and speech - for example Norway and Denmark both refer to themselves as English, and the Swedish are referred to as Spanish in the pre-battle speech.

I'm guessing it's probably not solvable due to the fact you've used Saxons and others to make the numbers up, right?

Another point, and this isn't a bug - is it possible to allow Diplomats-and maybe Princesses-the ability to initiate more than one 'mission'? As in, currently a Dip can only speak to one person/town per turn. Is it possible to make it so they can conducted as many as they can reach in one turn, as it's really annoying having to wait until the next turn to speak to another person?

One of the mods I used remade Scout's mesh files (these affect the shape of the soldiers). However they also changed the Peasant Padded texture this unit used (the texture is the skin over the mesh). So when I used a normal Peasant Padded texture the soldier was displayed incorrectly. I can fix this by modifying the battle_models.modeldb file.

Regarding the voice types they are spilt into 8 catagories: English, Scottish, French, German, Mediterranean, East_European, Arabic, and Mongolian. For this mod I'd need the following voice catagories: English (1), Scottish (2), French (1), German (2), Mediterranean (9), East_European (10), Arabic (4), and Mongolian (1). However I have too many of some types and not enough of others, so I can't get them all working correctly. It also doesn't help that Mediterranean and East European voice types are very similar on the strat map.

I don't think it's possible for agents to perform more than one mission per turn (I think this is hard coded).

I just stumbled upon a crash between Summer and Winter of 1204 in the same campaign. I end my turn, and the AIs start to play their moves and then the screen just goes black and I can't even alt+f4 out of this one...the AI faction-logo 'cycle' got around to the Kievan Rus', but I have no idea what it did to cause it or even if that is what caused it. I'm also a newb so I don't know how to provide a logfile if such thing exists...

It was a shame because that campaign was just starting to get interesting :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast