Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I could be of Celtic orgin

Default I could be of Celtic orgin

I've done some research and found out that the south-eastern part of Poland I come from could have originated as a land of Celtic peoples. This part of Poland and Western Ukraine is called Galicja (Galizien in German) and some historians argue that Galizien is the name of some Celtic tribe. There have been numerous excavations of Celtic artifact at archaeological sites in that area of Poland. The coat of arms of the Celts from this part of Europe was a black jackdaw seen on the shield of this warrior.

A lot of history of early Slavic peoples or proto-Slavs is still murky because those barbarians didn't really develop proper written language (and thus historical records) until Christianisation of the region in 10 century A.D.

I've always known that deep inside I'm a barbarian and it manifests itself in my habits, behavior, etc. I accept my barbarian identity though.

Last edited by Kολοσσός; 02-02-2008 at 04:33.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: I could be of Celtic orgin

Here's a map showing the original distribution of European Celtic peoples in ancient times. As you can see it includes southern Poland and my home town. Today only British Isles and part of France have Celtic-speaking peoples (dark green).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Does this mean you'll change your name to The Gaesatae and start fighting in the nude?

I've thought about changing my name to Naked Fanatic. Apparently this put a very disturbing image in people's minds.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Internautos would suffice I guess. Or Internautorix.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Internautus III
    Here's a map showing the original distribution of European Celtic peoples in ancient times. As you can see it includes southern Poland and my home town. Today only British Isles and part of France have Celtic-speaking peoples (dark green).

People still speak a form of Celtic in Brittany, I didn't know that. Very interesting

Internatus, please do change your screen name...it resembles my screen name a little too much. And I don't like competition. >.<
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa
    Internatus, please do change your screen name...it resembles my screen name a little too much. And I don't like competition. >.<
    OK, my new name is Colossus...with a Greek spelling.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Well, I can top your Celtic origin, as I am almost certainly Germanic, and we all know the Germanic tribes kicked the Celtic tribes as*es just about everytime they met.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo
    Well, I can top your Celtic origin, as I am almost certainly Germanic, and we all know the Germanic tribes kicked the Celtic tribes as*es just about everytime they met.
    Good for you
    Last edited by Kολοσσός; 02-02-2008 at 08:39.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a genuine Celt. No maybe about it.
    '.....I should like to see the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest.'

Quote Originally Posted by Primative1
    I'm a genuine Celt. No maybe about it.
    You painted barbarian. Since when is your naked tribe connected to the Internet?!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Kολοσσός
    You painted barbarian. Since when is your naked tribe connected to the Internet?!
    Got to move with the times man.
    '.....I should like to see the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest.'

I am from Austria, origin 500 years ago in Silesia, i could be a Slavonian, a Germanian, a Celtic or a Green Rabbit... who cares, maybe i am a little bit of everything...

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

I'm not a Celt though. I have no idea where the finno-ugric tribes originate (Scandinavia? Baltics? NW Russia?), so i can't connect myself to any EB factions. Too bad, but it also means i can lay off the nationalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom
    People still speak a form of Celtic in Brittany, I didn't know that. Very interesting

Degemer mad, ma c'harantez!
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Hey you, give us back London!
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

It would be good to be a decendent of a powerful warlord.

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    It would be good to be a decendent of a powerful warlord.
    Aren't something like 10-25% of all men descended from Genghis Khan? Swear I read that somewhere....
    Anyway I think if you dig back far enough, the amount of migrations and stuff that have gone on over the centuries means most people could probably claim descendancy from most of the major groups going around.
    I'm from one of those Dark Green regions (well, the other side of the river), but I'm pretty sure there's a hell of a lot more Roman, Turkish, Russian, Norman etc etc etc blood in me than celtic :p
    Cheers
    Last edited by overweightninja; 02-02-2008 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    Aren't something like 10-25% of all men descended from Genghis Khan? Swear I read that somewhere....
    Anyway I think if you dig back far enough, the amount of migrations and stuff that have gone on over the centuries means most people could probably claim descendancy from most of the major groups going around.
    I'm from one of those Dark Green regions (well, the other side of the river), but I'm pretty sure there's a hell of a lot more Roman, Turkish, Russian, Norman etc etc etc blood in me than celtic :p
    Cheers
    That's exactly what I was going to say. Looking back 2,000 years to whoever inhabited the land you currently reside in doesn't say anything for ones ancestry! I know my immediate ancestry is Italian and Welsh, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm descended from the Romans or the Silurii! Who knows where my family was before they went to Italy or came to Wales.

Everyone's from Africa originally, anyway!

I think that about 1/2 of Europe's (and America's) population could be of Celtic orign. Most of these people could also be of Roman or Germanic orign - or of all three together.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

If we're going to be like that, I would put money on most of Europe and North America's population having a bit of every ethnic group that was in the region or traded with it. Because people are like that.

Still, you could look at it a different way and celebrate the newly named Collossos discovering his potential Celtic past.

Welcome to the party!

Maeran- Probably mainly of Ordovician and Brigante stock. With healthy doses of Roman, Danish, Saxon and Norman French and a little bit of other things for flavour.
    Last edited by Maeran; 02-02-2008 at 16:56.

Considering how few people existed just a couple of hundreds of years ago, a man living around AD 1 could easily be forefather to like 50% of Europe´s population, so a lot of people are probably decendent from some famous guy.
    But anyway, Germanic people rules!!! Woho!! Yiha!! Yaay!!!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

Considering how few people existed just a couple of hundreds of years ago, a man living around AD 1 could easily be forefather to like 50% of Europe´s population, so a lot of people are probably decendent from some famous guy.
    If there was only 2 men living in Europe at 1 AD, then yes. Otherwise, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

I've seen articles about this principle, and even with a few million competing men in the original generation most of the population end up sharing ancestors over a few thousand years. After all, people generally try to avoid marrying cousins (I know it used to happen a lot more often, but you get the idea of what I'm saying here, I hope) so the shared 'ancestry' will spread very far over time.

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    Cheers
    I don't know about that but Charles Bronson the actor certainly was which I found very surprising. I've always wondered about his striking Asiatic features and slanted eyes. Well guess what, his daddy was a Crimean Tatar. The mother was not but the dad's genes dominate his appearance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by blank
    If there was only 2 men living in Europe at 1 AD, then yes. Otherwise, no.
    That´s just stupid. Let´s say there were only 2 men and 2 women in Europe at 1 AD. Each man get a couple of kids, and these kids grow up and and marries someone. Who? The other guys kids! And when they have kids both the original men are their ancestors, so after only 2 generations everybody shares the same ancestor. Multiply both the number of men and the number of years by a couple of thousands, and you´ll see that the principle stays.
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by Kολοσσός
    I don't know about that but Charles Bronson the actor certainly was which I found very surprising. I've always wondered about his striking Asiatic features and slanted eyes. Well guess what, his daddy was a Crimean Tatar. The mother was not but the dad's genes dominate his appearance.

His father was a Lipka (Lithuanian) Tartar. And his mother a Lithuanian-American

he is uuugly bugly!
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

Probably Seleukid origin here, but who cares nowadays?
    This space intentionally left blank.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast