Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin colours in EB (don't worry, I'm NOT racist!)

Default Skin colours in EB (don't worry, I'm NOT racist!)

I think that all the mediteraninan peoples in EB (greeks, romans, lusitanians, epeiriots) should have slighlty darker skin coulour (like the one the Carthagians are having), since today's mediteraninan peoples are slightly dark skinned (I don't think it has changed that much since the ancient times).
    It really irritates me that ancient romans and greeks almost always are portrayed (in movies, for example) as bleach-white aryans à la Hitler. Maybe you guys of the EB-team could change this racist trend?

NOTE: This is based on my personal beliefs and experiences. My claims may or may not be scientifically correct.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Default Re: Skin colours in EB (don't worry, I'm NOT racist!)

I completely agree with you, my friend. I am Greek myself and I can tell you most Mediterranian people have darker skin, as did people in ancient times. In fact, I think people had even darker skin in the past, you know with all that labour and working in the sun and such.
    ~Maion

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine
    I think people had even darker skin in the past, you know with all that labour and working in the sun and such.
    Except for the rich...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

Okay, but why twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Maeran
    Okay, but why twice?
    A mistake... sorry... just delete the other thread!

I am all for that suggestion, myself. However, I don't think the EB team were motivated to make them white because they are white supremacists.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader
    I am all for that suggestion, myself. However, I don't think the EB team were motivated to make them white because they are white supremacists.
    I don't think that either.

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader
    YOU ARE WRONG!!! WHITE POWA FOR THE WIN!!! HAHAHAA ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

Actually i think the reason is that skinners are lazy. Especially me. If it depended on me all units would look exactly the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

It is my understanding that in Ancient Rome, most commoners were white and flabby while a tan was a sign an aristocrat because they had time to sunbathe.

I'm not too worried about it though. I'm with Steven Colbert, I don't see race.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Michelangelo and De Vinci probably would have skinned these Mediterranean units a little lighter also, I would presume. Especially considering all of their depictions of heavenly beings closely resembling Scandinavians.
    "Such open-handedness must have war and plunder to feed it. You will find it harder to persuade a German to plough the land and to await its annual produce with patience than to challenge a foe and earn the prize of wounds. He thinks it spiritless and slack to gain by sweat what he can buy with blood."

Tacitus' - Germania

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic
    It is my understanding that in Ancient Rome, most commoners were white and flabby while a tan was a sign an aristocrat because they had time to sunbathe.

I'm not too worried about it though. I'm with Steven Colbert, I don't see race.
    Nah in fact it was the opposite. Roman noble women were fair skinned, as they stayed out of the sun. Commoners and peasants had tans, Roman women did not.
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

Thumbs down Re: Skin colours in EB (don't worry, I'm NOT racist!)

I think he was being sarcastic.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Dunno if that's an accurate reconstruction or repaint, but I thought I might throw this in. As in, should they be lighter or darker than this?

You know, for all those of oyu arguing for the change of skin pigment, you might try to find some pictures of what exact tone you think it should be. Its hard for some of us to imagine what you mean by 'mediterranian tan' or 'pasty white.'
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 02-03-2008 at 05:13.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

In many Ptolemaic documents, the people involved are described, including their skin colour, so that could be some basis for reconstructing the skin colours of soldiers during the EB timeframe (though of course, there would then be debate over what "olive" skin tone would look like...).

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

I'm more interested in why there is a dude in jeans and trainers on the front of Augustus's armour.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

Thats Francesco Totti, the AC Roma player.

Cheers.

I think he was being sarcastic.
    I'm serious! I know I've heard in multiple places, but the only one I can recall atm is a BBC Documentary called "The Hidden History of Rome."
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Man, what has the world come to if you feel the need to state „don't worry, I'm not racist” in the thread title

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky

Dunno if that's an accurate reconstruction or repaint, but I thought I might throw this in. As in, should they be lighter or darker than this?

You know, for all those of oyu arguing for the change of skin pigment, you might try to find some pictures of what exact tone you think it should be. Its hard for some of us to imagine what you mean by 'mediterranian tan' or 'pasty white.'
    Actually, the skin wouldn't have been painted at all except for (IIRC) the lips. Eyes would be detailed as well as everything else.

Bleach white skin? That's beyond pale-skinned, that's Tim Burton.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Most of the skin colours in EB are whiter than they should be by my opinion - do not all, if you just look at hellenic units that point is very clear (the same problem is in vanilla too)

And there is the second problem of the way the soldiers are shaved - it is just too skinny, I cant shave that good not even today

Still, if you look at the other mod's - we should all be very happy - EB is trully the best
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blank
    Except for the rich...
    Not necessarily. The Hellenistic aristocracy spend their time working on the fields, hunting, riding their horses and training for war. This all happens under the sun
    ~Maion

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Aristocrats don't work the fields, they have servants for that. It's pretty much per definition that they don't engage in - nor have to - in physical labour to support themselves.

For the sake of comparision, Medieval European nobility were pretty much every man jack of 'em warrior aristocrats who spent a lot of time outdoors, hunting for example being both a popular pasttime and regarded as training in skills relevant in war. Yet, do you know where the concept "blue-blooded" comes from ? Because the aristocrats didn't spend enough time under the hot sun to develop the rugged tan the peasants got, instead their skin remained pale enough that the veins vere visible under it.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I thought it was because they looked like lobsters in all that plate.
    [/badjoke]

I think romans looked like this:

http://www.livius.org/a/1/legio/legionary_bonn.jpg

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

That's a nice picture, no LS for a change.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brynjolfr
    @Brynjolfr
    I believe the original romans looked that way too. Just like I believe the southern gauls tended to be darker than the northern gauls as was personified by Caesars description of the Tarbelli vs the Belgae and Celtae. Another example being modern day Northern and Southern France. But I think something else that should be looked at is the roman policy of invading areas that did not belong to them and then mixing with and subjugating the native population and forcing them into roman armies. So not everybody in the Roman empire was a true "roman". I would imagine that by the end of the Roman empire you didn't have a lot of romans who could say that they were of 100% pure roman stock.
    P.S.
    I agree with you I think some of the units are to fair.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

It's not like Roman citizenship was terribly difficult to get (at least for your descendants). Heck, I'd say it was one of the main things keeping the whole shebang together that status was desirable and available...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Brynjolfr
    (I don't think it has changed that much since the ancient times)
    I'm not so sure about that, with all the migrations, slavery and settling of whole peoples in the meantime.

Just a few examples:
    -todays population of spain and portugal has probably somewhat darker skin than before the centuries of moorish presence on the peninsula
    -during the ottoman empire, many people descending from turkish tribes probably settled in former hellenic areas
    -massive inflows of slaves for centuries. These had children and did not vanish with the end of slavery. I do not know where they came from in large numbers but I would guess that large contingents were darker or lighter than the ruling groups
    -roman emperors hired large contingents of foreign soldiers and sent them to faraway places in the empire where some of them settled
    -whole tribes relocating, like the goths in parts of spain

So I think to find out the skin colour in the EB timeframe one would have to disentangle all these effects which is probably close to impossible.

Or look for sources from the time like surviving texts, statues, mosaiques etc.

I would have to disagree with you Kham. Not all invaders became assimilated into the people they invaded. One has to look at the circumstances from all angels. The Moors and the Turks, were Muslims ruling over Christian subjects. The fact of the matter is these two do not mix. Especialy 1500-1000 years ago. Much of the gene flow went from the conquered to the conquerer through slaves. (ex. Jannisaries) This can also be seen today. For example, The turkic tribes were a Central Asian people with "Asiatic" features such as the people from the country of Turkmenistan today. Now Many Turks of Turkey resemble the people they once conquered (Greek, Armenian, Serbian Romanian ect.)
    Last edited by artavazd; 02-11-2008 at 20:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast