Thread: The Downside of Going Down

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Thumbs down The Downside of Going Down

Apparently too many men have been quitting smoking and taking up other oral challenges.

The sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer in women is poised to become one of the leading causes of oral cancer in men, according to a new study.

The HPV virus now causes as many cancers of the upper throat as tobacco and alcohol, probably due both to an increase in oral sex and the decline in smoking, researchers say.

Now, I don't want to hear about any Orgah using this as an excuse to neglect his duty. If you like gettin' it, you gotta give it, that's justice and the American way. But I think it's a good reason to think about giving boys as well as girls with the HPV vaccine ...

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Default Re: The Downside of Going Down

For the love of god, is there NOTHING that is fun, and doesn't cause cancer?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Any economist would tell you that eating out is expensive. Doesn't mean it isn't fun, though.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Yes. Abstinence and Fidelity. Technically if neither you or your partner have had sex with anyone else, you can have all of the face first fun you'd like. Your chances of getting or giving HPV are practically zero.

I can't seem to do the abstinence thing, but I have the fidelity down pat.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 02-02-2008 at 22:32.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    Yes. Abstinence and Fidelity. Technically if neither you or your partner have had sex with anyone else, you can have all of the face first fun you'd like. Your chances of getting or giving HPV are practically zero.
    I'm fairly sure that there are types of HPV that can be spread non-sexually, and I'm almost 100% sure that it can be spread from mother to offspring during childbirth. Therefore, even a person who has never had sex of any kind can still have HPV if their mother did, AFAIK.

That being said, I agree with you completely that absintence and/or fidelity are very important, and is the best way to avoid infection.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    For the love of god, is there NOTHING that is fun, and doesn't cause cancer?
    You mean global heating?
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I dunno smells fishy

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Technically if neither you or your partner have had sex with anyone else, you can have all of the face first fun you'd like. Your chances of getting or giving HPV are practically zero.
    Appealing though the idea of a lifetime of clumsy fumbling with the lights out is, this news comes a touch too late for me.

Save me a bed on the oncology ward.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    I'm fairly sure that there are types of HPV that can be spread non-sexually, and I'm almost 100% sure that it can be spread from mother to offspring during childbirth. Therefore, even a person who has never had sex of any kind can still have HPV if their mother did, AFAIK.

That being said, I agree with you completely that absintence and/or fidelity are very important, and is the best way to avoid infection.
    actually;
    link

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]Can HPV be passed in any other way?

* There is no evidence that contaminated toilet seats, doorknobs, towels, soaps, swimming pools or hot tubs, can transmit HPV. However, some unexplained cases of HPV lesions do occur and one should never rule out the possibility that an HPV infection may have been caught in a non-sexual event.
    * HPV types that cause hand and common warts generally do not cause warts in the genital area. The exception is the rare occurrence of warts in the genital area in young children that are due to these "non-genital" HPV types. Likewise, genital HPV types are only very rarely found in lesions outside the genital area. For instance, HPV 31 lesions have been described in the conjunctiva and subungal areas. Therefore, autoinoculation of HPV from one area to another does not occur except in the rarest of circumstances.
    * Whether one can increase the risk of infecting the cervix by autoinoculation from external warts, or vice versa, is not known, but most individuals who have HPV lesions in one area of the lower genital tract probably already have HPV in other genital tract areas. Therefore, one should not be concerned about "spreading" HPV from one area to another.

Studies have been done suggesting that in convents there are hardly any cases of cervical cancer (except in those nuns who were sexually active prior to entering the convent).
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Your link addresses catching HPV from inanimate sources outside - I'm saying that if the mother had it, she can probably pass it to her children when they are born.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    I dunno smells fishy
    eeeeeeew...

Your link addresses catching HPV from inanimate sources outside - I'm saying that if the mother had it, she can probably pass it to her children when they are born.
    The likelihood of passing along cancer causing HPV strains is surprisingly low for some reason.

link
    Can HPV affect my pregnancy?
    HPV is unlikely to affect your pregnancy or your baby's health. If you have genital warts, they may grow faster during pregnancy, possibly from the extra vaginal discharge that provides the virus with a moist growing environment, hormonal changes, or changes in your immune system. In most cases the warts won't pose any problems for you or your baby.

It's possible for you to pass the virus to your baby, but this doesn't happen very often. Even if your child does contract HPV, he's likely to overcome it on his own without any symptoms or problems.

In the unlikely event that your child gets the type of HPV that causes genital warts, he may develop warts on his vocal cords and other areas sometime in infancy or childhood. This condition, called recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, is very serious, but fortunately it's also rare.

The cancer causing types of HPV are from genital contact. The chance that you will contract cancer from HPV without sexual contact is almost nonexistent. It's like being afraid that you will die from ghost attack.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 02-03-2008 at 03:14.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    It's like being afraid that you will die from ghost attack.

Alright, thanks for reassuring me.

I live in constant dread of ghost attacks, and I am deeply offended that you would make light of this threat. Look out! Ghosts!

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Neither I nor my girlfriend engage in such activities. It's the other women I worry about...
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Well this sucks.....

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Cancer caused by HPV is generally quite harmless with exception of cervical cancer.
    If you can get rid of the virus in your system, the cancer remits as well, unlike "real" cancers.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

@OP: Who cares? If you can't come up with better sexual activities than the activity of being a sucker, then you are surely... a sucker.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Well like any true gentlemen, im willing to die for the ladies, if necessary.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Dead persons can't [the F word]
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good news everyone! There's a jab you can have that offers immunity to the most common types of the herpes virus. It's likely to be rolled out to 14 year old girls to try to stop the spread, but there's no reason that blokes can't get the jab.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk
    Good news everyone! There's a jab you can have that offers immunity to the most common types of the herpes virus. It's likely to be rolled out to 14 year old girls to try to stop the spread, but there's no reason that blokes can't get the jab.

I hate when I get VD from 14 year old girls.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    *crickets*
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    *crickets*
    Actually, we now have an appropriate smiley.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    The joy, after all, lies in giving, rather than receiving.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...