Thread: RIDICULOUSLY addictive flash game challenge

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default RIDICULOUSLY addictive flash game challenge

Here it is: http://www.candystand.com/play.do?id=18047

Fair warning, you WILL get fired playing this. My best so far with the first level, switchback, is perfect (Level 50 done with 20 lives left) with 2.29 mil in the bank and a score of 8851010. I'll post screenshots after some others have had chances to take a stab at this. I've also won with another strategy (one with 18 lives left, and one perfect) but with next to zero in the bank and the score was about 4440000 or so for both wins.

Some tips for beginners. Do NOT build on the very top row that's attached to the top of the screen. You can, but it's just a waste. Try to maximize fire coverage, and experiment with the different colors. Also, the game does get almost exponentially harder starting about level 40ish, so be prepared. That current setup that just barely makes it will probably get rocked later on.

Please note, there is another version, Vector TDx, but it is impossible to win, this has been verified as a fact and I tested with by cheating too. Level 37 is the farthest anyone has gone realistically. The music is much better, but you can't win, so we've stuck with Vector TD which has more options and IMO is more fun.

Good luck!

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Default Re: RIDICULOUSLY addictive flash game challenge

Nice find!

1st try on switchback: 6,709,187 points, 1,2 M in bank and 20 lives left.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

How do you get so much money in the bank? I can barely get over 2000 without having to spend it. Strategies, please?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Are you upgrading your turrents? I got up to level 20 something without building more than 10 turrents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

2nd try, 10,224,076 points, 2,9M in bank, 20 lives.

3rd try, 12,136,003 points, 3,9M in bank, 14 lives (tried something a bit different.) Gonna give it a rest now for a while.

How do you get so much money in the bank? I can barely get over 2000 without having to spend it. Strategies, please?
    Since it's an optimization game, it's kind of hard to offer good tips without spoiling it entirely. Minimal spoiler follows:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The general idea is to get by with as minimal defenses as possible. You'll also want to be a good investor and maximise your interest.
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 02-04-2008 at 06:44.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

OK, few more tips and then I'll post my screenshots later on tomorrow.

Level 3 reds are your FRIENDS. Level 1 blues non-upgraded work wonders for slowing critters down.

I've done a few solutions using level 1 blues and level 2 purples that worked well, but it was a bit of a struggle.

Green is worthless IMO. They may do decent damage at the beginning, but they have no real bonuses (like slowdown) and later in the game you'll find them to be pretty weak against the level 40 plus critters.

Crandaeolon, those are some NICE scores! I have you beat, just BARELY on that last one; $4,001,102 in bank and score of 12,198,976. That was the run of a lifetime! Try some of the other maps too and see what you come up with.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Here is my final score, after finally winning.

I was placing blues like mad on level 49 to prevent the sprinters from killing me.

4th switchback run (the screenshot can be considered a spoiler):

I did a pretty sloppy job here, tried another different approach. It should be quite easily possible to improve a couple million points from here.

Level 3 reds are your FRIENDS. Level 1 blues non-upgraded work wonders for slowing critters down.
    Strategy spoilage:

I agree, rocket towers and el cheapo slo-mo thingies are the way to go. Dunno if unupgraded rockets are better than upgraded ones - damage is probably more valuable than range, as long as firing coverage is good. Also, to really maximise the score one should let some critters through - ideally the game would be finished with just one life left. Towers should always be purchased only after a wave is sent on its way to cash in on interest.

Must... stop... playing... hnngh...
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 02-04-2008 at 15:08.