Thread: Athletic Conditioning

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Default Athletic Conditioning

This one is aimed at the more athletic group of Orgahs.

I have to wake up and run at 6am tomorow, on a Monday which sucks even more. The problem is that I haven't conditioned extensively in a few months, and I know that im going to tire quickly. The main problems I have when im conditioning heavily after only running 1-2 times a week are I get dehyrdated, fatigued easily, and sick. Now people have told me to eat before I go, but if I do I get more sick. If I don't, I got more tired. By sick I mean go-over-to-the-garbage can sick. By tired I mean my legs won't go any faster tired. To top it all off, after an hour of conditioning, I have to go to my athletic conditioning class, and on Mondays we run. Any tips to prevent my death?
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Default Re: Athletic Conditioning

You think you can just go run and it will be ok? Training, training and again training.
    I dont know what is your condition at moment so I cant say exactly, but two times in a week - complete b***s***; 6am - same; eating before - that's just ******. Just run at slower speed so you arent get tired, take pauses between kilo's, etc.. + drink as much water as you need if feel dehydrated..

yep, of course no 'twice in a day' trainings unless you're 3k beast and running 2x15km each day
    Last edited by Charge; 02-03-2008 at 21:06.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

long distance running twice in the same day is kind of pointless.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

You misunderstood me, its not long distance running. It's American Football conditioning, but we arent hitting just running. They call it speed training. It basically high-intensity cardio and endurance building things without rest for an hour...like suicides, 55's, line drills, laps, sprints, etc. And running twice in a day? You've obviously never played American Football. You get worked like slaves with little water breaks, usually in the hot sun with 15lbs of pads.

I used to condition like this 3 or 4 times a week, nearly everyday if we lost the previous friday.

Currently my physical shpae is 6'3'' (feet and inches) and 192lbs, with only 5% bodyfat. Im a fit boy
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

It is always hard after break, but you need better cardio working anyway...
    I cant comment any further as I was 100/200 sprinter, fyi pro-sprinting way harder, that's not even questionable..

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Sounds very, very old-fashioned. Hard work is worth absolutely nothing if you don't give your body time to recover and can easily be counterproductive. Two things you must make sure are in complete control and order if you want intensive exercise to pay off: good sleep, and balanced meals. Without the first, you don't give the body the time to recover to a higher level for the next training, without the second it doesn't get the building blocks needed to do so.

Also, if you want training to be most effective, you split endurance and maximum strength training. Might be more boring, but both train different aspects and trying to train both at once simply isn't effective.

And above all, patience, and take good care of yourself. You're pushing your body. It'll push back.

I do need to point out that my experience in sport and coaching is in rowing. I can imagine it's different to American football in what you need: rowing is focused on endurance with the ability to produce explosive power when needed for times up to eight minutes at most. I can't really comment on what your coaches say you need for your sport. But the basic principles outlined count no matter what, they are the basis of any intensive exercise.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Actually, I did play American Football a couple of years ago, and yes I do remember how tough the conditioning is. Why are you training now? Football season isn't until late summer.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Tips:

1.) Drink plenty of water. Start by drinking a lot of water the night before.

2.) Eat something with sugar (a mix of simple/complex carbs) and protein. Nothing very heavy, something very light, which can be digested in time for your exercise. A piece of fruit and some beef jerky helps.

3.) Stretch, stretch hard, stretch long, before and after exercise.

4.) Get plenty of sleep each night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.