Thread: Interesting pic I stumbled upon

Default Interesting pic I stumbled upon

Drawing made by Radu Oltean (Dacian Taraboste):

It's the dismounted version of the Tarabostes (nobility) - I was thinking such a heavy infantry unit carrying 1-2 heavy throwing spears and a sword could replace the current Celtic Lesser King available in Dacia and Moesia.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Interesting pic I stumbled upon

hm..... i like it.......
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Whoa! Sweet! He looks very much like the Agema Orditon that has been so widely previewed ( ie: in sigs and concept drawings) Thats a really nice find. Can you post the link to where you found it?

He looks vicious

Quote Originally Posted by Ayce
    Drawing made by Radu Oltean (Dacian Taraboste):

It's the dismounted version of the Tarabostes (nobility) - I was thinking such a heavy infantry unit carrying 1-2 heavy throwing spears and a sword could replace the current Celtic Lesser King available in Dacia and Moesia.
    We have any numerous number of existing units and models that would be suitable for a recruitable general with a dacian/getian/thracian bodyguard instead of the celtic one currently found in that area. The problem is that we need one extra unit slot for each type of recruitable general, and it was decided that we did not have enough space to justify a seperate getian recruitable general.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Source:
    http://www.enciclopedia-dacica.ro/ra..._eng/arta.html

Stie map: http://www.enciclopedia-dacica.ro/index_files/meniu.htm - for most of you go to the english section (though I find the site a bit „poetic” at times, but it's the best collection of data relating to Dacia)

EDIT: So there's a unit slot limit? If so how many are there left?
    Last edited by Ayce; 02-04-2008 at 00:12.

That is really wonderful drawing, thanks for posting this.

Wow, looks amazing.

Would the EB team ever consider making these models/skins public? I don't mean including them in the mod, but just making them available as extras. There's no reason to keep them on a dusty shelf in a dark room.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic
    Would the EB team ever consider making these models/skins public? I don't mean including them in the mod, but just making them available as extras. There's no reason to keep them on a dusty shelf in a dark room.
    I think you misunderstand. We already have units in game that would be suitable for a getian recruitable general, we don't utilise them so because it would require another unit slot above that.

As for what we have left, I think we have reached the limit.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Ah I see now. You do have those models/skins in the game, but simply cant utilize them because of the lack of space. Could someone running EB on alex.exe use them?
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers

Your still not getting it...
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

death is just the beginning Member marodeur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    I think you misunderstand. We already have units in game that would be suitable for a getian recruitable general, we don't utilise them so because it would require another unit slot above that.

As for what we have left, I think we have reached the limit.

Foot
    Sad, sad, sad... RTW vanilla is once again able to make me desparate

@TWFanatic, and others who are confused: the way the game 'reads' the code in the EDU requires recruitable units to be 'strategically' positioned in the file, lest other weird and unwanted effects come into play; hence why the number of recruitable generals defined is so limitted.

And we're pretty much at the internal limit we set ourselves so we have plenty left for EB2. That's not the magical 500 units hardcoded limit of the RTW enigne, but some X less, because EB2 apparently comes with the same magical limit of 500 and we don't feel like axing EB1 units we want to keep in EB2 only because of 'bad design'...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Are the Agema Orditon that are/were planned on being included in EB cavalry or infantry?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Elite infantry.

But, if I remember correctly, those were based on the elite Popesti burials, right?

yes, they were.

and as you well know, the padea panagjurski group needs to be addressed in some way. we've interpreted the mures group, due to the persistence of general wares, as transylvanian getai/proto-dacians adopting la tene culture weapons, shown in the komatai epilektoi. the padea panagjurski, from what i've read, seem more like skordiskoi than getai, but i'm not sure, and i'm really not certain that such a distinction is even worthwhile. anyway, we'll have to figure out how best to represent those sorts of finds in-game.
    Last edited by paullus; 02-05-2008 at 06:55.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios