Thread: Citing sources help

Default Citing sources help

I'm writing a paper for my AP US history class and I'm using a letter and an agenda off a conference in my paper. How would I cite those? What about for footnotes?
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Default Re: Citing sources help

While my text is running like this I come up with this quote here: "He who turns towards the sun draws his shadow behind him; he who turns against the sun goes after his shadow."¹

-
    ¹ Mouzafphaerre, Totalwar.ORG Wisdom, Vol. I "The Frontroom", p. 328
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Not to sure how to cite unpublished stuff but...
    Here's a good website with lots of different citation styles. In my History courses we generally use Chicago style but if the teacher didn't specify they usually don't care so long as it's some sort of proper citation.

http://www.liunet.edu/cwis/cwp/libra...p/citation.htm
    Last edited by spmetla; 02-04-2008 at 07:42.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Since it's something from an archive (record kept for the functioning of an institution, presumably the one organizing the conference), an acceptable form according to my handbook on the subject would be:

Agenda of [conference name/location and date], [name of archive], [section name], inv. nr. [whatever number it was given].

But the format isn't necessarily important in such cases, as long as it's made clear where the reader can find the relevant document and verify the citation.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr