Thread: Wandering around the abandoned lot. Farewell the org backroom

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default Wandering around the abandoned lot. Farewell the org backroom

All things come to an end. And it looks like father time is calling last orders on this board. A scattering of posts over the last month, nothing in October.

This was the second message board I ever joined. The first being a Dune message board in the mid nineties. We got lively discussion for a few decades here on the org. Blair, Bush, 9/11, the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, and the rise of the new right. Devastating Dave... Kukrikhan... Rory... various others

Different views presented, argued, and sometimes shouted and ranted - but different views frequently exchanged. A whole grubby page of active threads, 40+ regulars. Now we've all retreated to our little online bubbles where the only opposition we see are straw men, easily defeated for our peace of mind.

Ah well. Things change. Nothing lasts forever. Good luck all. Take care and show kindness and forgiving :)
    Last edited by Idaho; 10-08-2023 at 20:49.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Members thankful for this post (10):

+ Show/Hide List

Default Re: Wandering around the abandoned lot. Farewell the org backroom

Oh, it's fine. Montmorency, spmetla, and myself will just take care of the entire thing. No big thing.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Members thankful for this post (2):

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Lol, we're solving all the world's problems at the same time too!

Take care Idaho!

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Mm.

We could also start discussing backend solutions to archive the Org database or forum pages, maybe for example. The reality of service twilighting has to be factored in at some point regardless.
    @Hooahguy @Beskar
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Mm.

We could also start discussing backend solutions to archive the Org database or forum pages, maybe for example. The reality of service twilighting has to be factored in at some point regardless.
    @Hooahguy @Beskar
    How about updating the documents for the total war games? The links still have the old XP Winzip icon, and ReplacementDocs is risky because it is still http.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

I believe this is also due to the fact that Total War as a franchise has declined in popularity, especially recently, and a lot of the traffic from here was taken by Reddit and the Steam forums. It's easier for people.

Plus, this place is already 25 years old...

Members thankful for this post (3):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Oddly fond memories of this place.

It's like wandering the paths of an amusement park closed a few years back but never torn down; seeing in your mind's eye the clowns and the balloons and the bright whirling lights...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (5):

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    I believe this is also due to the fact that Total War as a franchise has declined in popularity, especially recently, and a lot of the traffic from here was taken by Reddit and the Steam forums. It's easier for people.

Plus, this place is already 25 years old...
    Yup, steam reddit, and discord forums are the usual now for sure.

Total War's franchise decline in popularity a lot though which has a lot to do with the lack of good products they've been making. Would be nice if there were a Napoleon: TW 2 timed to coincide with the new movie coming out but alas that is not the case.
    Guess part of the problem is also that so many 'games' are mobile games or console now, games for just PCs are no longer mainstream and therefore much less profitable.

I remember how there used to be developers that frequented these forums in addition to the official forums when I first signed up for this place.
    Last edited by spmetla; 11-08-2023 at 01:04.

-Abraham Lincoln

Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I occasionally log on. But with the rise of social media and other forums it is way to quiet. I was thinking of the discussions we used to earnestly have here.

I’m more active at Ars Technica nowadays, but busy with work and life.

I first joined this site when I moved to Sydney and was working an IT Helpdesk job and had no time for a social life with not enough time or mone. I’ve gone from my mid twenties to fifty now. Of course I’ve grown up a lot too, hence why after I turned fifty I got into Gunpla ;).

I still play video games, but mainly of all things COD Mobile.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Hello old timer ;)
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Member thankful for this post:

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I know that this place is rather silent these days, but I want to make it clear that we are not going anywhere :)

Probably only when Total War will not exist any more, but the series is still very popular, and that will be going strong hopefully in the future. Yes, it's quiet here, but it's a good time machine. We're not going anywhere.

If you wish to discuss various topics with the rest of the patrons, you're invited to post and encourage.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Glad to hear it's not going anywhere. Just gotta hope that there's more Total War games coming out that I'll like!

-Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

With all the madness in the world during the last couple of years I sometimes wonder what discussions might have been in the Backroom with the old crowd.
    Thanks to those who still keep this place alive and the beer cold

Members thankful for this post (4):

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

April 2024 will mark 25 years since it all started. Almost unimaginable in internet-time. Without a doubt Das Org is one of the oldest forums in continental existence on the entire net.
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Members thankful for this post (8):

+ Show/Hide List

Will be an interesting anniversary in a way. This forum has certainly seen the change of how things happen on the internet for gaming and the gaming community.

-Abraham Lincoln

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

With Shogun Total War's announcement about 25 years ago - 25 years ago, 1999... - this place is Ancient History in internet years. And it's still here.

There's a discussion to be had about forums, and internet as a whole, but with social media experiencing a significant downturn as of late, we might get the chance to see the revival of forums.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Members thankful for this post (3):

I still find forums the best way to keep with mods for games, track bugs and fixes and so on. The official and unofficial paradox forums are still very much alive and well for almost all their games and some forums like the Subsim forums https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php are the only place which I can easily find of all a type of game across the industry.

I haven't played TW: Pharaoh but from what I've read it's just not something that'll bring in more players. Rome, the Middle Ages, and the early modern period are the most popular TW games but making another reboot is probably hard to justify for a declining PC gaming industry.

-Abraham Lincoln

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Oddly fond memories of this place.

It's like wandering the paths of an amusement park closed a few years back but never torn down; seeing in your mind's eye the clowns and the balloons and the bright whirling lights...
    This is how I feel as well. Ive made real-life friends through this forum, and even though I havent visited in quite some time, it will always hold a special place in my heart. Nearly 15 years since I joined! Hard to believe so much time has passed.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore