Thread: An Arabian Winter

Default An Arabian Winter

I am having trouble launching my campaign into the heart of the Ptolemaic Dynasty as the Saba.
    You see, it was all a matter of bad timing on my part.

I began to march through the Nefud desert in the beginning of Summer.

Yes, yes this was foolish - but Thomas Edward Lawrence accomplished it with some determination - and I could do so without even facing the heat!

So the journey began, I had three family members.

Now, as we all know, the Nefud desert is a deathly place in Summer, quite alien in comparison to all our backgrounds of civilisation.

However- there is one time more stupid and rampant to march through the Nefud than in the heat of Summer.

In the middle of Winter!

That's right, we were still marching when winter struck, and as the snow began to fall - for the reason all my generals were outside with the troops, they all became sick - and winter campaigning was restricted in the desert as the fort got snowed in - slowing down movement to -95%.

That is a worse restriction than what I received whilst fighting the Romans as the Sweboz in the wintertime that bites the Danube.

Why?

Why not have Autumn campaigns restricted, whilst the Arabian philosophers attempt to discover for the public, the reason why is snows at all on the peninsula?

Why not create a land bridge in the centre of Wadi Agab for when my soldiers go ice skating?

death is just the beginning Member marodeur's Avatar

Default Re: An Arabian Winter

I have never seen snow on the arabian peninsula - you've got a bug?

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Snow? Nah, I dont't think so. It would, I assume, be as it still is very cold during the winter in deserts. Like it is at night, where temperature drops drastically.
    ~Maion

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

If you're near some mountain range you can get hit with the winter penalty, methinks. Happens in the North African mountains at least IIRC.

After all, wherever you are once the geography starts working in the vertical the climate turns right out arctic pretty fast...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Before retiring - I'll be sincere - I was marching through the most central, level region of the Nefud, (Nary a hillock in view), and although I did not suffer movement penalties in summer - I did so in Winter - badly.

This cogbaffled me.

Sounds like a bug.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

It certainly doesn't sound like it was intented to work that way, granted.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marodeur
    I have never seen snow on the arabian peninsula - you've got a bug?
    thats global cooling for ya!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I think that the movement penalties are determined by the last settlement that the family member was in, as the EB team didn't have any other method available.

Yes. We cannot detect the region the character is in if he's outdoors. Winter penalty is not supposed to hit if you're staying in arid regions though.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: An Arabian Winter

Think of it as some kind of water shortage, or incredibly intense sandstorms, or your men trapped because they can't get through flooded wadis...

Default Re: AW: An Arabian Winter

I prefer to think of it as a blizzard.

It amuses me.

I've decided to play Sweboz, it's much warmer in that corner of the world.

Thank you Bovi and all.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I've decided to play Sweboz, it's much warmer in that corner of the world.
    Lol, I suggest you chose a Mediterranean faction if you want a warmer climate then
    ~Maion

But I've just been playing on the Arabian peninsula, I don't think Italy is warmer than Arabia.

Are you hiding something?

Capo.

Lol,

Welcome to total war my friend. It's a bloody mess.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod