Thread: CTD HELP PLEAS

Member Member worlddomination88's Avatar

Unhappy CTD HELP PLEAS

Hello.
    Im having a ctd problem im Rome in the year 211 BC and a Carthaginian army with no general is sieging my city Gergovia. I attack with one full stack with general and one small army with general and one other small army with NO general. After I win the battle when it goes to the loading screen it crashes.
    This has happened lots of times now probably like 2 or 3 at other citys. I just
    Auto resolve and it gets past it. The problem is I loose when i auto resolve.

I tried to subtract population with the add population cheat with the last city this happened to.I was Rome and was being seaged and the same thing happened. It crashed in the loading screen. Which was like 2 turns ago.

And I have read about the permanent and temporary fixes. I was wondering if theres anything else I could try to fix this problem before download all those fixes and stuff on my computer. (Takes up more space) or if theres any other tricks such as the add population cheat that could take care of this.

Any help would be appreciated I love the mode and I wanna finish destroying barbarians.

Default Re: CTD HELP PLEAS

Sounds like another memory problem - I'm sorry I can't stay to explain.
    I will try and find my post somewhere.

In short: Your computer is leaking memory, the post-battle overloads the game with information, your computer can't handle it because everything is just so tired, and the game crashes.

Increase paging file, play one or two battles before restarting EB/computer.

Those fixes will help you avoid any future CTDs, so you should install them anyway. They will not take up any considerable space, as they replace nearly identical files. Backups you make will take up some space of course.

Some people report that waiting for 10-15 seconds before dismissing the battle scroll helps to avoid the post-battle CTD.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I have two gigs of ram isn't that enough?? I saw some other guy on hear with this problem and he said he has two gigs as well. I will for shure try the wait 10 to 15 seconds before clicking out of the battle results tho.

Could you maybe explain the leaking memory part what exactly does that mean?
    Last edited by worlddomination88; 02-07-2008 at 22:29.

2GB RAM is ideal for EB. No need for more, it's likely some other cause then (such as those that we've found and fixed!).

A memory leak is a technical term for a program that doesn't release some of the memory it used, when it no longer needs it. Some examples could be that the game still remembers the experience level of a unit that is destroyed, or the weather in the battles that have been fought. Those examples are likely false, just to illustrate. The effect is that your computer is slowly suffocated with a lack of available memory, and it tends to crash RTW when it gets bad enough.
    Last edited by bovi; 02-07-2008 at 22:40.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the help bovi!!

Ok I played the battle and did the wait 15 seconds thing and eather that worked or the fact that I restarted my computer and EB.

But one turn past and when KH took there turn they attacked my city this time in the middle of the battle it CTD thats never happened before to me thow.

But ya ill start get the temporary and permanent fixes on there.

So that means I don't have a memory leak or short of ram??
    Its a another bug that can be fixed with the patches??

Just double checking I wanna try every thing.

Thanks again very much for your help!

The memory leak can't be helped short of another patch from CA, which won't be coming. But you shouldn't have any problem with that particular thing when you have 2GB.

================
    ================

Ok cool ill just download the EB fixes when I get time then and it should work.

One more quick clarification the leak is do to a problem with the game/program not something that can be wrong with my computer?? If your answer is a YES than I believe I follow everything your saying. Thanks again much appreciated

Yes.

Ok cool ill just download the EB fixes when I get time then and it should work.
    Not necessarily. The fixes will fix problems that have a known solution. I don't know if yours is among them.

================
    ================