Thread: ? Archers ?

Default ? Archers ?

Im in my like 80th turn at elast as romans, and istill dont have archers, am i forgetting to build something, or do they come way later? Im campaigning in sicily atm, and the carthaginians are kicking my a$s , those elephants ride through my plybian triarii :( i need archers. Also, when does siege equipment come in, im assuming like several hudnred turns later. Is tehre a thread i could go to where it gives me a building tech tree or something, it deosnt give me the abrracks or any military on the ingame building tree.

Default Re: ? Archers ?

Read the FAQ. It answers most of your questions. A building tree came with version 1.0, and can also be found in the downloads section.

After 80 turns there is no chance you should have polybians. It takes at least 120. But you will not get archers in the Polybian or even Marian era as the Romans.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Well, I'm not sure about that, but I can build siege engines with a level 5 factional MIC. About archers, I think you will have to use either mercenaries, or just foreign archers. About elephants, I suggest you use skirmishers (velites?) to lure them away and pelt them to death. It's what I used to do with my Ptolemaioi campaign when I was conquering Ethiopean lands and it worked well.
    ~Maion

Outside Rome you can hire some Cretans, Southern Gaul you can hire Celtic Archers, in Regional Mics in Greater Greece and Southern Italy you can hire Hellenic Archers, but there is no Roman Archer unit till Imperial (Eastern Auxilia Archer or somethin).

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by -sKy-
    Outside Rome you can hire some Cretans, Southern Gaul you can hire Celtic Archers, in Regional Mics in Greater Greece and Southern Italy you can hire Hellenic Archers, but there is no Roman Archer unit till Imperial (Eastern Auxilia Archer or somethin).

Hope that helps

exactly. i got most of my archers from rhegion.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

It's debatable wether slinger or archers are best and you get your own Roman slingers to hire, but unlike RTW Vanilla, it's skirmishers that kill elephants.
    Your much maligned "Leves" get a +2 bonus aginst elephants! Hit the Carthies with these and it's Jumbo Burgers all round!
    My own technique is to put the leves or Greek ascensi behind the battle line and disable the "run away" button and fire at will. Elephants are suprisingly fragile.
    "Tell them I said something......"
    Pancho Villa
    Completed; Rome AD14!

I'd recommend a line of Greek skirmishers (akontistai) to support your Roman skirmishers (velites now you're Polybian) as the Greeks have more range, so you can get a double volley in before dumbo gets too close.

As for archers- pah! A Roman craves not these things. But if you must, toxotai (Greek archers) are recruitable in southern Italy and Sicily, and sotaroas (Celtic archers) can be recruited in the northern Italian provinces (Cisalpine Gaul).

I prefer slingers over archers anyway. Gallic slingers have great range and armour piercing attributes, which makes them better for taking on the Carthies than any archer. And you can recruit Balearic slingers as mercenaries throughout Spain, Africa and Sardia and Corsica. But they don't seem to be as good as the Celtic slingers even though the Balearics had a better reputation.

Angry Re: ? Archers ?

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez
    After 80 turns there is no chance you should have polybians. It takes at least 120. But you will not get archers in the Polybian or even Marian era as the Romans.
    OMFG!!!!
    Someone please tell me the guy activated the God-forsaken script!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah
    OMFG!!!!
    Someone please tell me the guy activated the God-forsaken script!!!
    mmmhh... if he didn't, he wouldn't be in polybian era
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

Thumbs down Re: ? Archers ?

Yeah, I'm kind of an idiot sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1959
    It's debatable wether slinger or archers are best and you get your own Roman slingers to hire
    The advantage of these is that they can be recruited and retrained in both Camilla and Polybian times. So they might accumulate a lot of experince what evem makes the poor Accensi a quite lethal force.

Of archers I would recommend the Celtic archer-spearmen (for example from a level 3 regional MIC in Mediolanum). They are excellent against weaker armoured enemies and are able to hold themselves against light cavalry like Leuce Epos or Hippakontistai. When they have spent their missles I often use them in support of my own cavalry. Against better equiped foes you need slingers.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

The Romans also get the cool syrian auxilia archers
    Lies we can believe in

In the European East, especially the Western coast of the Black Sea (Olbia and Kallatis)you can train excellent really long-range Skythian/Sarmatian foot-archers and heavy Bosporian archers. They really kick ass! Put six of them behind a few mercenary phalangites - it's like watching machine-guns do their deadly work. And should they be forced to fight other foot-soldiers, (well not against cavalry or a phalanx) they do quite well.
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man