Thread: Satres, Diazenis, Rhesus et al

Enemy of cauliflower Member Visitor13's Avatar

Default Satres, Diazenis, Rhesus et al

I know these guys are there for gameplay purposes, but is there perhaps any historical evidence that their provinces were particularly independent and troublesome to conquer/hold? I know that a few of these provinces are way out of anyone's way, but how about Noricum and Mrogbonna, at least?
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Heed the wisdom in Omanes Alexandropolites' signature!

Default Re: Satres, Diazenis, Rhesus et al

Yes. Boii.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I love that name. Bo-ee-ee.
    It took me a long time to learn how to pronounce the ee-ee properly.
    There's no better titles than those found in the Classical era,
    half of my horses are named after antiquity - ha ha ha..

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Outta random curiosity: I know Noricum was a fairly big shot, but was it IRL a separate bunch from the Boii ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

In short, yes.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Danke.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Is Boii the native name? Or the Latin name for that particular tribal grouping.
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

Given the spelling of the plural, I would say it is Latin, like Arvernus/Arverni.

Mind, I have never seen, "Boius" or, "Boium" ever written in any text - yet I have not seen many writings on the Boii in any case.

Boii - from there is name Bohemium -in our time period is that use as another name for Czech republic...
    Last edited by mirmorix; 02-12-2008 at 14:28.

@Glenn

It would seem to me that "Boius" would mean a male member of the Boii tribe.

But yeah, I don't suppose you'd see that written. Maybe that stems from the fact that Roman historians tended not to talk about individual barbarian tribesmen unless they were of particular nuisance to Rome.

Exactly, but I don't know if it would necessarily mean a male..

I haven't seen the term, "Boia", or, "Gallia", used to describe a female tribal member - however I have at least seen, "Gallus" and, "Gallum".
    But perhaps this is because women aren't mentioned in that manner in historical texts, and most are given names in any case.

I love this language! I am really enjoying the discovery of structure and it's relativity to English, and all Western languages.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

IIRC, they would be Bononia...