Thread: Crash at Splash Screen

Default Crash at Splash Screen

I recently downloaded and installed EB as the readme explained (after some time) and when I load up the game i.e I double click the icon for EB and I reach the splash screen, after about 5 minutes I recieve an error message claiming that "Rome Total war failed to access sound database". Is there something really wrong here or have I been a noob and installed it incorrectly??
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions - Proverb

Default Re: Crash at Splash Screen

I remember someone having that error message earlier, but can't remember what the solution was. Have you run the validation tool?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Un-educated guess since I never had the issue:
    1) Does this error actually occur when you attempt to run RTW by double-clicking the RTW.exe file in [Your choice of installation] ?

If 1 == yes :
    2) Can you post a screenshot of the contents of [Your choice of installation] ? (What you see when you open the folder in Windows Explorer or some similar program.) IIRC there was an report once of someone who for one reason or another did not have all the libraries that deal with the sound aspect of the game (that is he/she missed some DLL files).

If 1== no :
    3) Do you use any fancy audio playback equipment, such as a 5.1 or better surround sound ?
    4) Does there exist a file called preferences.txt within the folder [Your choice of installation]\EB\preferences ?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Unhappy Re: Crash at Splash Screen

I have indeed run the tool, but there (apparently) seems to be nothing wrong. EB is in fact currently uninstalled because I plan to try a second full re-installation of vanilla, its patches, and then install EB again in case a second go irons out any bugs that occured the first time round. However while it was installed I also checked the sound folders myself. Nothing seemed to be amiss, so I'm wondering if there any lingering files left over from previous mods that have not been deleted that are causing this problem.

I checked Google for the error message. Apparently a reinstall of RTW should fix things. Let's hope it does.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thumbs up Re: Crash at Splash Screen

It worked! the second full re-install did the trick. The problem I think was that I have Gold edition II vanilla, and it is installed to a differently named directory than normal, so after the first re-install there were files everywhere. This time I did a search just to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Great, enjoy .

================
    ================