Thread: Chavez- at it again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Chavez- at it again

Chavez threatens to halt oil sales to US
    I say go ahead and try it.
    We'll last a lot longer without Venezuelan oil than he will without money.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Re: Chavez- at it again

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    O rly?

I say it's just a question of who caves first - Chavez after his people overthrow him due to the huge economic potential for failure, or America who result in invading Venezuela.

Ultimately, if Chavez sticks to this and never gives in, there's a good chance he'll lose.

EDIT: Then again, thinking about it, there are plenty of other hungry countries (China, India...) that would gladly have what would have been American oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Seems like a waste of time. Oil prices are set based on a relationship between worldwide supply and demand. If one country bans exports to a particular country, it won't result in a cost increase for the latter, it will just mean that they buy their oil elsewhere.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    Seems like a waste of time. Oil prices are set based on a relationship between worldwide supply and demand. If one country bans exports to a particular country, it won't result in a cost increase for the latter, it will just mean that they buy their oil elsewhere.
    No, the oil price is determined by whatever OPEC says it should be.

As for the topic itself, I say GO CHAVEZ! Finally showing some promise again after some ridiculous moves.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

OPEC manipulates prices by increasing or decreasing their output of oil. If Chavez wanted to affect prices he could try to do the same, although it wouldn't have much effect if only Venezuela went through with it.

It's an empty gesture, most likely made as a way for him to gain political capital without actually taking an action that would incur any real consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    No, the oil price is determined by whatever OPEC says it should be.

As for the topic itself, I say GO CHAVEZ! Finally showing some promise again after some ridiculous moves.
    Last edited by Zim; 02-11-2008 at 08:09.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    OPEC manipulates prices by increasing or decreasing their output of oil. If Chavez wanted to affect prices he could try to do the same, although it wouldn't have much effect if only Venezuela went through with it.
    Chavez is a member of OPEC. And he holds more sway over them than non-members do(like the US). And if he decides to shut down, it's rather doubtful that the other OPEC-members will increase their capacity to keep oil prices down, thus increasing oil prices. Chavez actually has a lot of power when it comes to oil. Besides, what serves the US best; keeping a low oil price, or help one corporation avoid paying for their past corruption?
    Last edited by HoreTore; 02-11-2008 at 08:19.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Go Chavez = Long live the Che = Long live the commies??? No, thanks. Its just ridiculous(sp?), but coming of you we will enter in a fight ala Cold War.
    Chavez is a poor guy. Someone who says a lot, and you wanna know what he did? He bought a part of SanCor, an important Argentinian company. IT was supposed to make it function better. And we have the same **** from them.

He is inside Colombia, declarating himself God and going around and liberating Hostages like he was Rambo or someone else... I say he needs some serious help, and less attention of him in a wargaming forum.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

you wanna know what he did? He bought a part of SanCor, an important Argentinian company. IT was supposed to make it function better. And we have the same **** from them.
    You wanna know what he did , he took over a large debt that Argentina couldn't manage with its economy spiraling out of control , he bought out Shell because they was pulling out , he invested in the state owned oil company , he signed contracts with government shipyards for maintainance and repair of Venezuelan ships and signed contracts with private shipyards for new construction of Venezuelan ships , he also did a deal to sell them oil in exchange for beef .
    If argentina in the state it was in could have got a better offer perhaps it would have taken it , but given the way it was going there was a bit of a shortage of offers .

He is inside Colombia, declarating himself God and going around and liberating Hostages like he was Rambo or someone else...
    Now that is priceless , thanks for the laugh Caius

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    You got that right. Virtually all of the Venezuelan oil is being refined in Texas. Since most of the world refineries work with sweet light crude, Chavez will have a very tough time selling his heavy sour crude to ANYONE other than us. It's a simple matter of economics, as most countries would instead prefer to pay more for sweet light than retool their refineries to accomodate Chavez. He can run around with his mouth wide open, shout imprecations and threaten Uncle Sam, but guess what, if we stop refining his oil, his gravy train is over.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rvg
    You got that right. Virtually all of the Venezuelan oil is being refined in Texas. Since most of the world refineries work with sweet light crude, Chavez will have a very tough time selling his heavy sour crude to ANYONE other than us. It's a simple matter of economics, as most countries would instead prefer to pay more for sweet light than retool their refineries to accomodate Chavez. He can run around with his mouth wide open, shout imprecations and threaten Uncle Sam, but guess what, if we stop refining his oil, his gravy train is over.
    What he said. Who else is going to buy it?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I think my dad's car is broken thanks to Chavez oil.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    What he said. Who else is going to buy it?
    Who is going to transport it in the first place, the panama channel isn't ready for the biggies would hardly be worthwile for China or India or whatever, they can get it elsewhere with these cool things called pipes.

Virtually all of the Venezuelan oil is being refined in Texas. Since most of the world refineries work with sweet light crude, Chavez will have a very tough time selling his heavy sour crude to ANYONE other than us. It's a simple matter of economics, as most countries would instead prefer to pay more for sweet light than retool their refineries to accomodate Chavez. He can run around with his mouth wide open, shout imprecations and threaten Uncle Sam, but guess what, if we stop refining his oil, his gravy train is over.
    But doesn't the deal with China mean that not only are China building refineries for Venezuelan oil in China , they are also building them in Venezuela . Doesn't part of the deal with Brazil mean that Brazil is building refineries for Venezuelan oil , same with India and every other country he has been doing oil deals with over the past few years .
    He may be an idiot , but he isn't completely stupid , he plans ahead .

Who is going to transport it in the first place, the panama channel isn't ready for the biggies would hardly be worthwile for China or India or whatever, they can get it elsewhere with these cool things called pipes.
    Ah of course , that would be the deal with China building new Pacific ports and oil terminals in South America with pipelines from Venezuela .

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    Ah of course , that would be the deal with China building new Pacific ports and oil terminals in South America with pipelines from Venezuela .
    There is no deal, just a little hugging we all get lonily sometimes.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    But doesn't the deal with China mean that not only are China building refineries for Venezuelan oil in China , they are also building them in Venezuela . Doesn't part of the deal with Brazil mean that Brazil is building refineries for Venezuelan oil , same with India and every other country he has been doing oil deals with over the past few years .
    He may be an idiot , but he isn't completely stupid , he plans ahead .

Any idea when these projects are going to be completed? Until they are, and are capable of processing the quantities the US purchases, he's just heating air with these threats.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur