Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ancient TW3 - Roman Wars

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Ancient TW3 - Roman Wars

Hi Sigma,

Everything has been on the back burner for a while, though I will probably get the Eastern Empires stuff finished over the winter when the dark evenings come along.... but I won't be straying into any other eras. There are a couple of Dark Age mods around currently, so maybe worth checking them out
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    Hi Sigma,

Everything has been on the back burner for a while, though I will probably get the Eastern Empires stuff finished over the winter when the dark evenings come along.... but I won't be straying into any other eras. There are a couple of Dark Age mods around currently, so maybe worth checking them out
    Ah ok, :) also did you ever get the BA eras for HTW fixed? I have a AAR in the making thats stuck from a CTD in the early bronze age as the Minoans

I have HTW BA working, but not fully-featured (and I have a Minoan campaign in progress, though unplaid for a few months )

Did you get the old "Quickfix" I did for BA a few years ago? I still have that around if you need it, but it might not be save-game compatible.

Discussion forum thread

Ya, that would work, as long as it makes the game non-crashable :P

I found it but the link is dead :(

Long time a-coming, but I will soon release a v1.1 patch for Roman Wars. So far I have concentrated on the Britannia 43 scenario, but I think it's made some good progress.

• Updated unit icons
    • Roman AI makes better progress invading Britain
    • New units added
    • Custom battles straightened out in B43 to accurately reflect campaign-mode unit rosters
    • A few tweaks to make rebellions more challenging...

There's probably still some work to do on the Punic Wars, and I'm very tempted to do another scenario concentrating on eastern provinces, but that will be v2.0 at best as it will require a new stratmap (ie not next week, okay )
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 10-24-2016 at 00:30. Reason: sp.

Discussion forum thread

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Good too see you post with good news !

..... just quickly , Whats B43 ?

& yeh , keep tweaking , All the Tribes should be united & fighting against the Romans .

oftopic ...
    A new stratmap is what we need & as we are only at V.0.91 time is on our side , to be honest whilst beta testing our current one was sending me dizzy
    I have 2 better maps on hand .
    One is MTW ready but it has no India its the Holy Lands Map from the Jihad Mod & I think can be downloaded here .
    But my fave is below .... I googled & found it .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eurasian_mass.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	19064

Name:	MapTex.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	734.2 KB 
ID:	19065
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 10-24-2016 at 10:51.

You'll kick yourself....

B43 = Britannia 43AD

All the Tribes should be united & fighting against the Romans
    Not really - a lot of tribes allied to Rome, and the in-fighting was a factor in the success of the invasion historically - despite the efforts of Caratacus, Boudicca and Cartimandua. After all, there's no enemy like a close enemy

My last test-play was with the Atrebates, and if the Romans hadn't had a spare princess in the early game it would have been very difficult to survive. The Romans also got the idea about dealing with the Batavians early on, so their feet weren't cut out from under them this time.

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster View Post
    the Roman helmets look kinda wierd.

I can't wait to play as the Red Branch.
    Yep , I agreed also , all those years ago .......
    but with a bit of patience & lots of time ... voila !!

Name:	Romans .......JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	19079

They should have been drawn like this from day dot ....

You'll kick yourself....

B43 = Britannia 43AD.
    ofcourse ! silly me
    I must admit my knowledge on Roman Britain will be improving lots after I watch a few doco's .

About this map you mentioned mac ........... Any chance of a bit more info please .
    To be honest that Alexandrian Map should be replaced , cheers .

Re Roman bodies - they were never designed to be Romans, I simply re-shielded an existing body so as not to re-use the 'early' Romans (ie hastati, principali and triarii) and to keep them consistent with the artillery crews available.

About this map you mentioned mac ........... Any chance of a bit more info please .
    To be honest that Alexandrian Map should be replaced , cheers .
    No more info yet, as it's only a temptation so far, not a plan...

I like the Alex map - it's very educational But I could probably find a pale, bland, imitation for history wimps

However, nothing much will happen for the next two (maybe three) months, as it's the full-on busy period for me, workwise. It's the mad rush that pays for all the free time for the rest of the year....

Discussion forum thread

...... But I could probably find a pale, bland, imitation for history wimps
    However, nothing much will happen for the next two (maybe three) months, as it's the full-on busy period for me, workwise. It's the mad rush that pays for all the free time for the rest of the year....
    Yes please mac ... if I knew how to do it I would not ask .
    I figure I best keep plodding along & produce a few more reskinned & those new troops ! ( Biblicals - Slingers , Egyptians & a also new Gauls ! )
    "That plain map above with India would be just perfect" , unless ofcourse you find another better one
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 10-27-2016 at 12:05.

The background image is just a TGA, all the provinces etc are set by the LBM overlay. However they need to line up to look right, so it needs to be the same area with the same projection, but you could use a picture of a cute kitten* for the background, it would still work whatever the image.

The actual map graphic is something like MapTex.TGA in the campmap/textures folder, iirc, and there's also a smaller version for the faction selection screen at game start.

That terrain map you posted would be good, but it cuts off too soon in the west, and doesn't include the Epirus/Illyria area.

* other cute creatures are available

Discussion forum thread

... awesome !
    Lets find a new kitten for good old DtS

Default Ancient TW3 - Roman Wars: Major Overhaul Underway

I've created a new scenario for Roman Wars, using an entirely new campaign map - this is why I've been a bit quiet online recently...

Anyway, here's a sneak preview:

Name:	rcw1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	19172

Name:	rcw2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	19173

Name:	rcw3.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	19174

There's still a lot of work to be done, but it will incorporate many of the innovations first aired in Eastern Empires, and of course lots of new units for the new factions.

The campaign map is the largest yet for the Roman Wars mod, with 76 provinces, and it's working fine. There are 14 factions, with new ones including the Bosporan Kingdom, Parthian Empire, Palmyra, Lusitanians and Galatians.

It is not quite as strictly historical as some previous scenarios as it was an era of great flux, so I wanted to br9ing in some factions which would rightly have just been considered rebels by this time (such as the Gauls), but the general rule of 'Gameplay trumps history' has been applied for more fun.

Contrary to previous campiagn maps I didn't use LMM to make it - just started from a map of the terrain then created the LBM overlay by hand (well, Photoshop...) and all the data from a spreadsheet. It has proved to be just as easy this way, and it was all working within a couple of weeks.

I'm porting over units from Eastern for the eastern factions, and there will be more left to create (the Parthians are going to be fun ) and this will include some based on the oversized BIFs, so as to clear up BIF folders for new units (again, mostly for the benefit of the Parthians).

I was considering making a patch for this, but the changes are so wide-ranging it will be easier to make a new complete install, so when it comes out it will be a full-blown v2.0. No time-scale yet, but I would like to get it done before the end of the year if possible.
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 11-23-2016 at 20:34.

Discussion forum thread

Members thankful for this post (2):

Default Re: Ancient TW3 - Roman Wars: Major Overhaul Underway

That looks super-cool. I love new maps - and conquest of the map always made a lot more sense in the Roman period than it does for medieval

Thanks, Western

conquest of the map always made a lot more sense in the Roman period than it does for medieval
    Certainly they had the most extensive Empire on the European map, historically - I'm toying with the idea of making the 'victory' provinces just those conquered during the Republican era. Admittedly, that is most of the map

The biggest problem with this scenario is how to deal with 'royal families' for the two Roman factions, as both were really run by collections of 'heroes' - it might be I need to implement the Caesar side of things as a dynasty, but the Optimates really need Pompey etc just being hero-generals with a fairly anonymous 'Consular family' heading up the faction. I'll keep mulling it over, but it's going to go way off the historical line anyway.

It's not quite so clear-cut as the Hellenic Successor kingdoms were for EE - in this scenario the only one of those left (Ptolemies) throws up a few problems for rendering in MTW - ie they were in civil war themselves, with one side led by a queen. Why oh why oh why couldn't they just run their kingdoms in a manner suitable for MTW

Discussion forum thread

Great work Mac .......

Why oh why oh why couldn't they just run their kingdoms in a manner suitable for MTW
    why not just create a statrpos/Campaign scenario that's purely a "what if" to suit the MTW engine

Hmm, perhaps I didn't flag the joke clearly enough....

Discussion forum thread

The campaign map is the largest yet for the Roman Wars mod, with 76 provinces, and it's working fine. There are 14 factions, with new ones including the Bosporan Kingdom, Parthian Empire, Palmyra, Lusitanians and Galatians.................................
    >> Brilliant macsen !! How nice it would be if those darned 2d Bif Plates did not take so long

I'm porting over units from Eastern for the eastern factions, and there will be more left to create (the Parthians are going to be fun ) and this will include some based on the oversized BIFs, so as to clear up BIF folders for new units (again, mostly for the benefit of the Parthians).
    >> Mac , If you get the time let me know how you picture the Parthians to look like ....... & an idea for you to ponder , you could use some of the Bronze Age troops just as temporaries , until we can skin up or mod some Parthians etc etc .
    Also take a look at Fall of Rome , could be a few we can use with permission .
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 12-01-2016 at 08:29.

Hello, friends! I am so happy that you are going to create a new scenario for your Roman Wars mod. Roman civil wars have always fascinated me. I can only commend you, Mac, for your dedication. Having said that, I do hope you will consider the following:

1-In all the Roman war scenarios the AI of the Roman faction was extremely disappointing.

2-The Roman Legionary didn't look so Roman at all.

I might be able to help with the second issue in the future but for now I cannot wait for the release of your mod. I wish you all the best in this endeavor.

P.S I forgot to ask something:"Are we going to have a more varied unit roster for the Roman factions?

Hiya Leith , I think Fall of Rome has some nice legionares and other bifs that macsen could use , i do remember the Roman that was used in the Patrician Mod being very rough ...... You have me worried about the AI , im sure it will be better this release .cheers

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    That looks super-cool. I love new maps - and conquest of the map always made a lot more sense in the Roman period than it does for medieval
    I agree... And it reminds me of the old Amiga game Centurion (which I had loads of fun with back in the day)... One small thing thou, had I created this map... I would have moved the map slightly to the right, about 10-20mm - allowing the Iberian Atlantic coast to show more naturally/spacious on it and instead cutting out/excluding the Caspian Sea and the Gulf altogether (as they are stumped anyhow), and the tip of England as well... But, that's just me... Regardless, I like the idea of having a map centered around the Mediterranean. Whenever I find the time, this or the eastern-empires-scenario - are probably the ones I'll try.

Keep on cooking Mac... :D

- A

Evening all,

First off, I should say the 'hope to get it finished by the end of the year' idea was waaaay over-optimistic. Now work has kicked into Xmas-rush mode, what spare time I have is mostly used for sleeping and eating... and the odd bit of play-testing of course

Yes, we do need some better late legionaries for the Romans, and a completely new 3d model would be ideal... but I doubt my PC would cope well with 3d software - as I say, it's more of an abacus with an LED on the front than a serious computer. I do have some Rise of Rome bifs (from DtS I think) so will have another look at them when I get time.

re Parthians - this will be a cav-heavy faction (or infantry-deprived if you prefer...), the main components being light horse archers and a few flavours of cataphract. For now, I'm using the vanilla 'boyar' body for the cataphracts as it has the basics for Parthians - ie armour and pointy helmets.

Roman AI has improved in my current version of Britannia. It's still a bit limp in RCW although I haven't done much work on the Roman factions yet and they are due for play testing. Their roster includes a variety of auxilia from various provinces, but the problem with the Romans is that their core army was very uniform and standardised, and doesn't give us much room for variety (bearing in mind I'm not going for fantasy units like gladiators and 'praeventores' so beloved in RTW).

re the map - the northern part of the Atlantic is non-playable, the seas that are accessible are all contiguous from the Gulf of Gades through to the Black Sea. Britain and the land across the Caspian are unplayable too. Ship-building provinces are severely restricted as the MTW AI always seems far too keen on ships. The main reason the northern Atlantic zone is dead is to prevent the Gauls going ship-crazy and neglecting their army...

Axalon - I never played Centurion, but I used to enjoy Praetorians (until I discovered MTW) and I was prompted to do this new scenario after playing the Julius Caesar boardgame with a friend. Once the Christmas rush is over, we'll start having our game nights again, and I want to play that more...

Discussion forum thread

Gotcha Macsen , Cav heavy Parthians it is , I did a quick read up & they have some great variety .
    Anyway below are some of the troops as used in the "Fall of Rome" mod .

Yes , I know some may say , huge time gap between 43AD & the Fall of Rome , 400+ years , but these bifs look really great , more Roman ! than the two bifs we currently have (legacy of the HTW team) ..... but I like them also .

I personally would prefer using these & use my imagination as it would make it more realistic & immersive , perhaps you may also find a bif that's better than the vanilla Boyar your using & ofcourse others also .

I think the download link is still active & there was a late addition by the maker of the mod a Campaign that mentioned Queen Zenobia ? ..... it may also have bifs never used/seen in the 3.0 or 3.1 release .

The F.O.R mod is currently in the archives section & im sure we could get permission to use what we need .

Name:	FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_NEWAUXILIA.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	19220

Name:	FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_NEWAUXILIA2.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	19221

Name:	FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_PRAETORIANI.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	19222

Name:	FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_MILITESPEDITES_MILITESEQUITES.JPG 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	19223

Name:	FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_CATAFRACTARII.JPG 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	19218

Name:	FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_CUNEUSEQUITUM.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	19219

Leith , I have noticed you have re-skinned some very nice units also , well done
    ( im refering to the pics you have posted for your upcoming V.I III mod )
    Perhaps some of those could be used in some of macsens mods ?
    As all they would required would be a little effort eg , a bit of Photoshoping ( small additions or erases ) eg a pointy bit drawn onto the top of those Huscarle helmets & voila Assyrians ! ( or a worthy addition to the Eastern heavy ranks anyway.

@ Axalon , its good to know that another orger played & loved Centurion , what a great game it was !! I enjoyed it immensely also .

@ mac .... Rise of Rome ? hmmmm ..... I never mentioned that , but it would be a great Mod for next year , or the one after .
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 12-04-2016 at 10:18.

These units look awesome Dimitrios!

Salutations everyone! Good to see this mod getting the proper attention it deserves. Thank you for contributing! Allow me to make a few points:

1- You don't need 3d programs at all, mac! You have several options to choose from; using the Fall of Rome bif or a modified hellenic-based bif. The good news is that I have managed to modify the Fall of Rome bif so much that I have fixed all of its problems, I think. If you look closely at Custom1 textures, in the Fall of Rome, using ReadBif you might notice some graphical problems and bland colors. I only did the first frame however and it would take me a long time before the modification process is complete. If you want a screenshot, let me know. The bad news is that I have not started on the Roman Hellenic-based unit yet as I , like yourself, have been extremely busy at work. Having said that, if push comes to shove, I might do it, just to make sure your mod plays and looks great.

2-dimitrios, I don't mind granting permission to you or Mac for using some of my units. Just lemme know which ones you might be interested in.

3- The Rise of Rome mod has been in development for a couple of years now since I have been busy working/doing stuff but if you want to take over, be my guest! I can send you everything I have done up to this point. I might also help with the unit graphics in future.

Gah! Fall of Rome, Rise of Rome, easy to get confuzzled when you're sleep-deprived

The infantry units look good and as you say, more Roman than what I have now - will need a change of shields, but that's simple enough. The cavalry units seem to be vanilla MTW BIFs though, with the cataphracts looking a lot like the same 'boyar' BIF I was looking at for the Parthians...

Gotta rush again, but to the pub, not work tonight

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    These units look awesome Dimitrios!
    ........ Yan , good too see you around mate , hope all is going well with your new job .
    These Bifs in the pics above are not my handwork , they are from the "Fall of Rome" mod , I'm 99% certain Maximus re-skinned them pixel by pixel !!
    You know Yan , Ancient Total War really needs a Roman Bif circa Julius Caesar era .... as what you seen posted above , skinned by Maximus ( Mod Creator) depict late 3rd & 4th century .
    The one used in Ancient Total War by macsen is the original HTW one, & to my eyes actually look more 3rd/4th century BC ItalicxGreek .... (( eg Etruscan , Samnite , Syracusan , etc etc ))
    Perhaps you could create one using the software you are familiar with ? ..... its ok if you are busy & cannot .
    But should you wish to contribute a Bif check with mac first as he knows more about how Romans dressed back then .
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    2-dimitrios, I don't mind granting permission to you or Mac for using some of my units. Just lemme know which ones you might be interested in...............
    The Rise of Rome mod has been in development for a couple of years now since I have been busy working/doing stuff but if you want to take over, be my guest! I can send you everything I have done up to this point. I might also help with the unit graphics in future.........
    thanks Leith , .. I will check them all again at a later date .
    I really liked quite a few of your textures (especially some of the helmets )
    With some cutting & pasting on Photoshop we could add some variety to the 3 Eastern Units we have at present .
    I may do up a few quick cut & paste ones & post pics over on the Graphics Thread to show what is possible .
    As for taking over the Mod , hehe ....
    Truly I would not know were to start ! ...
    I will leave that up to you & Macsen should he be interested

Gah! Fall of Rome, Rise of Rome, easy to get confuzzled when you're sleep-deprived

The infantry units look good and as you say, more Roman than what I have now - will need a change of shields, but that's simple enough. The cavalry units seem to be vanilla MTW BIFs though, with the cataphracts looking a lot like the same 'boyar' BIF I was looking at for the Parthians...

Gotta rush again, but to the pub, not work tonight
    yep shields ofcourse & Have a beer for me to Macsen cheers
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 12-05-2016 at 11:09.

I could give it a try, Macsen should just let me know. Probably it won't take long to switch the props(helm etc, there should be some free roman era resources, so i won't have to model them), of my infantry, that's the good thing with the scene :D

If the animations have to be changed, that would make it more difficult.

Hello Yan ... Will only be a reskin , no new animations needed , really great you are willing to help out , just pm macsen , he knows what those romans should look like , cheers.
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 12-06-2016 at 03:02.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast