Thread: SUCCESS with VISTA!

Default SUCCESS with VISTA!

I found that Pike & Musket likes to run exclusively on a graphics 800 x 600. You have to change everything to 800 x 600, including your desktop (there maybe a way around this, but it will be a while before I find it). Anyway, I've been playing through P&M 1.5 for quite a few turns. I feel optimistic. I'm going to make a copy of my P&M 1.5 file and apply the patch. If it works after that I may be on to something.

Default Re: SUCCESS with VISTA!

One more thing. I'm not sure if this matters, but switch the campatiblity to Windows 2000. I'm afraid to switch it back.

Of course, the most important thing is to change the graphics from 32 bits to 16 bits. Once you do this you can set it for 1024 x 768.

Now I'm ready for P&M 2.0.

Rick

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

So you can choose your factions for the testing which might start any day now - when I feel safe to upload the installer I will send PMs with the link/links and unlock the testing threads.

Good job !

That will help a lot to other players - I will later rearrange the FAQ if the patch works for you too. :)

That's great cause in a couple more days an order for a Vista computer is coming in for me. Sweeeeeet.

Oh right like one more question. What kind of graphics card do you have? Mine will be the GForce 8600 with nvidia.
    Last edited by Wladyslaw IV; 02-12-2008 at 12:45.
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    So you can choose your factions for the testing which might start any day now - when I feel safe to upload the installer I will send PMs with the link/links and unlock the testing threads.
    Send me a list of the factions no one else has picked yet. I feel up to the challenge. Also, are we playing it on a "Normal" difficulty setting, or does it matter?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Wladyslaw IV
    Oh right like one more question. What kind of graphics card do you have? Mine will be the GForce 8600 with nvidia.
    I'll get the info to you this evening. Mine is a Gateway. The price was right.

You are one of four people asking me to send a list of free factions already...

Just pick 2 in each large campaign and post your list - do that randomly if you like.

The main thing is that you ned to choose because for example Russia is radically different than Morocco or Circassia.

When you have posted the list noone lese will take those factions from you - the priority goes to the first poster.

Difficulty ? I usually consider playing on expert the only real option in this game, but it depends on you, still nothing easier than normal for sure....

So I guess the game works perfectly now ? If it will be confirmed by your later experience with the mod I will include this thread as a part of the new FAQ.

Good work !

I am STICKING this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    So I guess the game works perfectly now ?
    It works fine now. I applied the patch and after more than 10 turns - no CTDs. I'll keep you updated when I patch it up with 2.0.

Also, I'll send you a list this evening of the factions I'd like to play.

Rick

Post it, please - everyone must be aware what you have chosen because I will not be able to update the faction list in the main testing thread too soon...

Just run it in service pack 1 mode. That's it. I even ran it 3 or 4 turns, but seeing as I can't stand this game anymore, that was all I could do.

If someone wouldn't mind spreading this to totalwar.com and TWCenter, I'd appreciate it. I really don't want to log in just for that.

Yeah, because I remembered someone mentioned at totalwar.com that ever since service pack 2 came out, it caused problems for MTW VI. If you want a falt proof game, you SHOULD upgrade to Vista, than service pack 1 becomes available.

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

It seems from what I've heard that Vista has been causing problems with newer games, even ones designed with Vista in mind.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

I thought I had it licked, but I was only able to play "X" number of turns and I experience a CTD. The number of turns range anywhere from 3 on up. When the Vista service pack 1 came out I applied it and for a while it seemed to help. Then, after playing quite a number of turns I experienced another CTD.

I going to uninstall it and than re-install it correctly this time, that is under the user account manager and see if that helps. Before I installed it the last time I changed the campatiblity of the set up to XP SP2. From what Wladslaw says XP SP2 also had caused problems with MTW. I'm hoping that when I install it in the normal Vista environment (if there is such a thing) I can play it through without a CTD. I'll let you know.

Personally, I wish I had never bought this Vista piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I thought I had it licked, but I was only able to play "X" number of turns and I experience a CTD. The number of turns range anywhere from 3 on up. When the Vista service pack 1 came out I applied it and for a while it seemed to help. Then, after playing quite a number of turns I experienced another CTD.

I going to uninstall it and than re-install it correctly this time, that is under the user account manager and see if that helps. Before I installed it the last time I changed the campatiblity of the set up to XP SP2. From what Wladslaw says XP SP2 also had caused problems with MTW. I'm hoping that when I install it in the normal Vista environment (if there is such a thing) I can play it through without a CTD. I'll let you know.

Personally, I wish I had never bought this Vista piece of crap.

No. Just put it in sercive pack ONE mode. Don't change anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
    I am STICKING this thread.
    Any one?

To be continued....

I think I re-clarified what happened somewhere in here, but just let everyone know I had to do the following before play MTW P&M.

I bought and installed a separate graphics card - Nvidia 7900. After I did that, no more CTDs. It seems you can't run the game off the motherboard graphics set up. If you are still using Windows XP keep it. Vista is a piece of s*#t. Someone else will have to comment on Windows 7.

Vista does suck. I think Windows 7 is just going to be a "patch" or a "finished" version of Vista, calling itself Windows 7. Windows 8 I believe will actually be something new.

Use the 'gold' version of MTW on Steam, you could play PMTW on Win8.