Thread: Wisdom (teeth)

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Wisdom (teeth)

Yup, the poor suckers are coming out this Friday. I just knoooooow that I'm going to have a fun time the next few days afterwards. I'm kinda hoping I don't end up looking like a chipmunk for a few days. Only brightside is that I'm missing one on my bottom right of my jaw, so that's a (minor) plus at least. Anyways, I guess I'm not quite sure where this thread is heading...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Wisdom (teeth)

Horror stories about pulling out wisdom teeth? Hasn't happened to me (Yet), though it may have to. My Dad had his out and it wasn't good (I'll spare you the story).
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

I've had two of mine (the two on the lower-side of the jaw) removed.

Each procedure took about 15 minutes, and 5 of those minutes consisted of slowly losing the sensation in my lower jaw as a result of the three shots you get. The shots are exactly the same you'd get when one get's a cavity filled (with which I have quite some experience), and they really aren't that big of a deal.

Make sure you put ice on your cheek the moment you're out of the procedure, this will ease the swelling. Better said, you won't have any swelling to speak of at all. In my case that is.

The whole procedure is really not as bad as people say it is. You don't feel any pain, and you'll be eating toffees three days after. The medicine 'll make sure you won't feel pain the days after, and it's generally recomended to eat on the opposite side of where the procedure took place - for the first two, three days. Just to make sure you don't mess with the stitches in there, you know.

Anyway, being a little nervous is alright, who isn't, but if you go in expecting the worst that's exactly what you're gonna get.

By the way, are you getting all of them removed at once (probably not), or what?

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 02-14-2008 at 00:44.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I had my uppers pulled out when I was 19 and the lowers just a few weeks ago. Wasn't all that bad, the initial bleedling is really annoying, my advice for you is not to walk from the dentist to your apartment like I did, it looks like your dieing when you need to stop every few hundred meters and spit blood.

Stock up on plenty of soups too and be sure to get variety. Chicken broth soup and tomato soup for a few days made me very angry at myself. Get a few movies out and watch those while you fall asleep from the medication.

Hope all goes well!

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikhaan
    Yup, the poor suckers are coming out this Friday. I just knoooooow that I'm going to have a fun time the next few days afterwards. I'm kinda hoping I don't end up looking like a chipmunk for a few days. Only brightside is that I'm missing one on my bottom right of my jaw, so that's a (minor) plus at least. Anyways, I guess I'm not quite sure where this thread is heading...
    I didn't really have any issues, other than food getting caught in the healing wounds and making my breath reak (which was fixed easily).

It's not big of a deal, all I remember is getting a needle stuck in my arm, and within the next 30 seconds I was out of it. I woke up when they were done removing all 4 of them.

The legalized drugs they give you (painkillers) are fun, but I didn't use them. Just took 4 advil.

It took about a month to fully heal.

Overall, it wasn't that bad, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
    Last edited by Ice; 02-14-2008 at 00:59.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I was lucky enough to only need one taken out, although I'd had a couple other molars taken out one time. The wisdom tooth didn't hurt as much as the two that had been taken out before.

I did learn never to mix strong painkillers and alcohol. I had taken a vicodin (which doesn't knock me out like some people) and went to a Scottish festival with a friend. I didn't think anything of trying a glass of Scotch while I was there, and I was woozy the rest of the day.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm still keeping mine. They all came out, but i disregarded all advice from overpaid dental aestethicists and kept them. Noone takes chunks out of me without a REALLY good reason.

In any case, good luck, and make sure you get all the fun painkillers. They help. (My girlfriend had them pulled out not so long ago. Needed plenty of sleep, smoothies, and fun pills...)
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

2 years ago I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled out and in addition I had a wire fastened to my jaw on one end and the other end fastened to a molar which was growing at a 45 degree angle. It worked surprisingly well and now that tooth is at a normal angle and the wire has been removed(another surgery). Oxycontin sucked big time. They made me tired and nauseous.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

I had all four of mine out when I was sixteen. I refused the hydrocodone after the procedure and just ate very carefully for three days. Yes there's some pain, but it's not going to keep you up at night. During the procedure the 'caine drug they use will keep you from feeling anything but pressure. Mostly what I recall is being annoyed at the sensation of having a swimming pool full of nasty smelling chemicals and rubber dams in my mouth.

I wanted to keep mine in a jar, but they were broken during extraction and supposedly it's against OSHA rules or something anyway.

Don't be nervous, it's not a big deal. Wait until your first root canal. I didn't take pain meds for that either, but I drank ice cold water like it was crack cocaine to deaden that nerve for the two days before I could get the procedure done.

As long as they're not impacted your good. Just remember don't go on teh org when you are freaking out on 4 to 5 vikoden like i did. Man that was a bad experiance, but also good, tis where my sig came from.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Horror story:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I was 16 when I had all four of mine out. I elected to go completely under (knocked out) for surgery. They thought I was having a seizure when I came back out of it, but it was because I was shivering because I felt so cold.

I slept for about 3 days straight, and bled off and on for about 4-5. Almost got dry sockets, but thankfully didn't. I was in a lot of pain and heavily dosed up on pain meds for about 2 weeks, and was in bed almost constantly during that time. Couldn't really open my mouth much until about a month later, which was about when I started to try and eat solid foods again. There was some additional soreness and pain until about 2 months later, when I could finally open my jaw all the way and eat food without any sensation or issues.

My teeth weren't impacted or anything, and for all intents and purposes it was supposed to be a 'routine' surgery. I don't know what the hell happened, but I get the feeling the doctor let one of the kids in the waiting room do the procedure. MAN that sucked.

Enjoy!!!

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Horror story:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I was 16 when I had all four of mine out. I elected to go completely under (knocked out) for surgery. They thought I was having a seizure when I came back out of it, but it was because I was shivering because I felt so cold.

I slept for about 3 days straight, and bled off and on for about 4-5. Almost got dry sockets, but thankfully didn't. I was in a lot of pain and heavily dosed up on pain meds for about 2 weeks, and was in bed almost constantly during that time. Couldn't really open my mouth much until about a month later, which was about when I started to try and eat solid foods again. There was some additional soreness and pain until about 2 months later, when I could finally open my jaw all the way and eat food without any sensation or issues.

My teeth weren't impacted or anything, and for all intents and purposes it was supposed to be a 'routine' surgery. I don't know what the hell happened, but I get the feeling the doctor let one of the kids in the waiting room do the procedure. MAN that sucked.

Enjoy!!!
    I brought you a mudkipz

I've never had my wisdom teeth removed so I have no idea what it's like. From what I've heard it isn't that bad and may or may not be painful for a few days. My dad had all his bottom teeth pulled not that long ago and he only took aspirin for the pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Hmm, my wisdom teeth are rather nasty - they are currently using the very tip of their existence to sharply prod me from within my gums.
    In fact, that's only one, the other one I'm quite sure I witnessed breaking through the surface about two weeks ago.
    Painful, aye, but I'm not going anywhere near a dentist, or a doctor, or any medical expert.

Just like an illness, I would rather stand firmly against it than have a Physician make my sudden incompetence certain.

But then there are many people who like their teeth as perfect as possible - however I have grown attached to my fangs, my lovely wolf teeth which are about 4mm longer than my incisors.
    Not as terrible as it sounds!

I wouldn't usually post here, by the way, I am waiting for something interesting to happen in CDTC.

There are some strange topics here.. Ha ha, like Pevergreen's, "My girlfriend's best friend confessed she wants to have sex with me... dear me what do I do?"
    Ha ha ha, poor Peeve was conned..

Sorry - back on topic - Wisdom teeth are terrible, rather!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Nothing to it you won't feel a thing. Just don't drink anything if you don't want to ruin your pillow.

None of mine but one have fully surfaced yet. I feel so...lacking in wisdom.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

At least you haven't succumbed to the commonality and allowed cheap words and promises of effeminate health to rob you of your wisdom.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I had all of mine out when I was 16. I did it as part of a dental study so it was free (US, so no universal healthcare and my family doesn't do health insurance). I was under general anaesthesia, so I didn't feel a thing till afterward, and was very high and loopy immediately after the procedure. There was pain and puffiness for several days and my diet consisted primarily of applesauce, but it wasn't that bad overall for me.

The most irritating part is something Ice mentioned. With the wisdom teeth removed, there are indentations in your gums which take a while to fill in, and before they do, it's easy for food to get caught in them. Vegetables and so on weren't so bad, but when meat got stuck it started to smell and taste pretty nasty in the back of my mouth. I was unwilling to go at them with a toothpick, since they were basically healing wounds and I didn't want to compound the damage or have to go in for more oral surgery. The solution I found was a waterpik. That or any other somewhat pressurized small stream of water could prove a lifesaver. After a week or two that worry goes away, and it's back to life as normal.

For some people it's a very painful experience, for others it's no sweat. Just hope it goes relatively smoothly and painlessly for you.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    I gotta ask, why would you pull perfectly healthy wisdom teeth?

I know I had a problem with too many teeth entering my mouth cavity when I was younger, luckily I had a great dentist who fixed me up. She pulled teeth from the front of the mouth and I used braces to "push" the back teeth forward.
    Today i have all my "third molars" and there is space for an extra set.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    I gotta ask, why would you pull perfectly healthy wisdom teeth?
    Good question, the answer is they were definitely going to end up causing problems for me if I'd not had them removed. Thus we (my parents) decided to rip em out then to avoid the problems down the road.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I just read an article on why we pull our wisdom teeth (third molars). Apparently it is an evolution legacy from our forefathers.
    The mouth cavity of humans today are smaller (shorter) than what they used to be. Even so, the number of teeths entering the mouth are still on old plans. too many teeth in a small mouth generates trouble.

The evolution is not doing its thing in parallell.
    I guess sometime down the line, there will be lesser teeth to accomodate our smaller mouths.
    Status Emeritus

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Had barely any problems after pulling two of mine out. Keep from eating on that side in a few days and it should be fine.

The actual removal of one of those were another matter though.
    The tooth were growing in a 70-80 degrees wrong angle and had an extra root aswell, making it hard to get out (it needed to be drilled down). The problem was that the anaesthetic didn't really work on a nerve at the root, making it extremely painful every time the dentist drilled. 4-5 additional shots did reduce the pain in the nerve slightly though.

Remind you that it's very rare to happen and even if it happens you'll survive and can scare other people with it.

have also pulled out 4 other teeth as well (so 6 in total), and all the rest went like a charm.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hm...

Spittin' out blood...

Spittin' out blood...

Spittin' out blood...

Well, aside from that, it's been rather uneventful. Was knocked out during the procedure, haven't suffered any side effects of the anesthesia, and the best part is, since I was missing one on my bottom right jaw, I can actually still feel the right side of my face. Oddly enough, I haven't been tired at all since I got back. Maybe I'm just made of tougher stuff than others.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

That or they didn't let a bunch of chimpanzees operate on you. Glad it turned out well.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    The evolution is not doing its thing in parallell.
    I guess sometime down the line, there will be lesser teeth to accomodate our smaller mouths.
    As I understand it, that's not quite true. The dentist who took mine out mentioned that lately some people are being born with some or all of their wisdom teeth missing. Kamikhaan mentioned in the first post that he had only 3 needing to go. It's a slow process, but it seems that recently this unnecessary relic is starting to leave us. If only appendices were so cooperative.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    As I understand it, that's not quite true. The dentist who took mine out mentioned that lately some people are being born with some or all of their wisdom teeth missing. Kamikhaan mentioned in the first post that he had only 3 needing to go. It's a slow process, but it seems that recently this unnecessary relic is starting to leave us. If only appendices were so cooperative.

Ajax

That if true would be caused by chemicals, statistical errors or similar. It takes deaths/clear superiority before something as normal dies out. E.g. if those lacking wisdom teeth are extremely attractive as an indirect consequence.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by kamikhaan
    Hm...

Spittin' out blood...

Spittin' out blood...

Spittin' out blood...

Well, aside from that, it's been rather uneventful. Was knocked out during the procedure, haven't suffered any side effects of the anesthesia, and the best part is, since I was missing one on my bottom right jaw, I can actually still feel the right side of my face. Oddly enough, I haven't been tired at all since I got back. Maybe I'm just made of tougher stuff than others.
    Knocked out? Illegal here

But told ya, nothing to it. Now a root-channel infection, that is just great. For the love of god brush your teeth because that has to be the worst thing that will ever happen to you besides dying.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-17-2008 at 01:08.

You know how they do it right. That was the horror story for me was to "wake up" just as they slammed that hammer down
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

edit nevermind
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-17-2008 at 15:42.

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I have pretty excellent teeth (from my father's side), never had a cavity, nor braces, nor grillz. Not that grillz are really for the benefit of your teeth.

But my genes are a curse when it comes to wisdom teeth. Hopefully I won't have to get them taken out. *knocks on wood*
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.