Thread: Winter during summer

Default Winter during summer

For a new map I have an interest in a climate thats winter all year long, however without having the entire map winter, or loosing the ability to have seasons ..

Currently I cant seem to get on TWC where I think there is a topic I'm looking for, at least possibly give me an answer on wether its possible or not to have winter during summer ... though as I said I cant get on TWC cause of a database error and have no exp. at all when it comes to climate/battlemap editing so have no idea what can actually be done ..

I really like to do certain regions of my map but they are done 1 way or an other based on wether its a winter-region or a winter-ish-region so basicly all I'm really looking for is an answer on wether its possible (no how-to's required atm ;))

G

Ossie The 1st Member Ossie The Great's Avatar
    Very far away........ ( which usally is the beach )

Default Re: Winter during summer

erm, this would be great if it could be done as i would use it in my mod as well , anyway i will expermint and see what i can come up with

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

The answer is actually quite simple, in the file that specifies which map textures to use where (I can't think of it off hand) and replace the summer textures with the winter ones. This will make it look it winter in both summer and winter. I can't credit for it I just remember the answer from that twcenter thread you were talking about.
    Last edited by Squid; 02-15-2008 at 16:35.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

almost squid .. having summer look like winter isnt enough on the battlemap, I need/want snow and the snow/winter-bonus to apply in this climate ...

basicly I want, globally speaking, 3 regions, winter, 1/2-winter, non-winter ..

anyway thanks for the feedback so far guys ..;)

G

In descr_daytypes.txt, each climate has certain daytypes, each of which has a chance to have a specific weather event. So you could have regions with specific climates (winter-summer) that would have snow all-year long, I guess.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

I'm not that sure that having a snowing weather event during summer in daytypes will actually effect the snow bonus or not, I can't remember if that necessarily gets you snow on the ground. You need to try and test it with some extreme values.

If that doesn't work try a conjunction of the heat values (you can set heat penalty per climate) and also adjust the effect on unit in EDU I think - Aradan will understand that better.

The thing you will be missing visually is snow (or not) on distance views. You need to hex edit the RGB values in the geography.db file for that. A copy of Muizer's guide for that is on TWC wiki http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Guide_t...odification%2A
    if rest of forum is still playing up.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

thanks people ...

I know enough ...

-campaign-map -> easy
    -battlemap textures -> relativly easy
    -battlemap look -> er .. doable ... I guess ..:)
    -bonus -> via heat partially (possibly via wether/geography.db)

the stuff I know can be done is enough to go with the "all year winter" climate, the stuff I'm not so sure about can at least, as a back-up plan, partially be created by using heat (Thanks Mak )

*RS adds geography.db to to-do list and shift eta from 2018 to 2021 ...*

G

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

2021 is a bit idealistic I think...

Though you do say an eta which I assume is about 4 versions after a beta? (if I've got my Greek numbers right)
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Early Terror Army ... its only a demo version at 2021 ... just the early units ...

G

Oh no no, Eta is the 7th letter... ;)

Good luck with that RS. Again, some more out-of-the-box thinking, which is great. Any thoughts of releasing it for RTW3?

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan
    Any thoughts of releasing it for RTW3?

Just a bit of inside info ... we internally call the mod "the thirth!" .... *hint* ...

G