Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A humble appeal to the EB historians

EB Historian/Artist Member Intrepid Adventurer's Avatar

Default Re: A humble appeal to the EB historians

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    The Islam movement might be a bit like the Goths (just with more of a unifying ideology)? Maybe it would be fruitful to see the arab empire as a process with a foundation phase, a horde phase, a state formation phase?
    Hm that sounds interesting. Any good books/articles that cover this topic?

Edit:

Provinces and satelites are part of every empire: you might discuss Persian, Roman/Byzantine and Arab responses to the status of Armenia (a real bone of contention for empires seeking domination of the region for millenia).
    Looking over the thread again, I noticed your excellent ideas, Cyclops. I'm gonna give Armenia a shot. Narrowed down and unexplored (at least, it's not a standard subject at my uni). Thanks!
    Last edited by Intrepid Adventurer; 02-21-2008 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid Adventurer

Looking over the thread again, I noticed your excellent ideas, Cyclops. I'm gonna give Armenia a shot. Narrowed down and unexplored (at least, it's not a standard subject at my uni). Thanks!
    very interesting what you'll come up with! let us know.
    there are some books on Armenia in EB Bibliography thread btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss
    very interesting what you'll come up with! let us know.
    there are some books on Armenia in EB Bibliography thread btw.
    I will take a look at those books and tell you guys more on what I'm going to do with this paper. Down side is that I'm going to write it in Dutch and as such will be useless to the most of you. Oh well. ^_^

Hm that sounds interesting. Any good books/articles that cover this topic?
    Not that I know of, but I am no scholar of the subject.

Islam is a very touchy subject, and probably hasn't been given the kind of thorough going over that Christianity has in western thought.

I've seen approaches varying from blatantly racist "look at these sand monkeys" type 19th century crap to touchy feely "they were all hippies, just with swords" revisionism.

Actually I do recall a book I read about Islam (to do with the meaning iof the word "Arab") which touched on the process of state formation, but I forget the title. Some Scandinavian chappie.

Umm, don't thank me until you get a pass OK. It may be a really silly idea I gave you. The bad ones usually sound good at first.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Umm, don't thank me until you get a pass OK. It may be a really silly idea I gave you. The bad ones usually sound good at first.

No, the bad ideas always sound bad.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

I will take a look at those books and tell you guys more on what I'm going to do with this paper. Down side is that I'm going to write it in Dutch and as such will be useless to the most of you. Oh well. ^_^
    well, if you do eventually write it, you could just give us your milestones, main points, conclusions etc. no need to break it down really for the interested public is quite knowledgeable on the subject. Im personally just curious about how you gonna get it all lined up and glued together and prove/disprove an existence of a consistent pattern throughout centuries... if there are any.

No worries, Cyclops. My teacher was pleasantly surprised and loved the idea. He said (as we all agree) that Armenia is indeed a very interesting area to focus on. I practically copy/pasted the literature from the EB books thread, he said he saw some good books there, haha.

So there you go!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

As articles on the topic of early Islamic conquest and the political organisation of the Arabs around the time go, here is one I know of. Discusses specifically the Who's Who Calling The Shots aspect. The site I found it through is pretty good in general.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12