Thread: Firing into combat

Default Firing into combat

Does anyone here ever fire into melee with their own missile troops? Is this ever a viable tactic (unless of course your own missile troops are behind the enemy so that you are hitting them from behind and any stray missiles are hitting your troops to the front and bouncing off their shields)?

I have found that when I retreat slingers behind my lines and attempt to target the enemy once they engage my lines that I often loose men on the main battle line because any stray missiles are hitting them from behind. Does this have to do with the missile type (i.e. would I be better off using archers who could arch the arrows over my battle line)? Any suggestions?

Default Re: Firing into combat

Definately cant do it with slingers their arc of projectile is too low. I've done it with archers before but expect still to run into some friendly-fire.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I had this one Pontos game where I had the bright idea of blitzing Ankyra right at the beginning. Obviously the idea was sort of that the Pantodapoi guys with pikes would create a "kill box" around the gate when the AI sallied, thus keeping the nasty naked men and other Celtic affectations at a manageable distance. Worked pretty well actually, but there was this one bunch of those nasty little shortsword guys that got between one of the flank pike units and the wall and started carving them up - and I had no reserves to throw into the fray at the moment.

To the rescue went my slingers, who didn't have other targets. Turned out the Galatians in their trousers suffered considerably more from the point-blank enfilade than the almost-armoured Pantodapoi pikemen, even if the whole thing was kind of a redshirt job for them...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

They are only grunts. One can always recruit more.

Personally, I was feeling all feudal warlord like in the event. "Who cares about a bunch of peasants anyway?"
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Yeah fire over your guys into enemies and you'll do at least as much harm to yourself.

If you scuttle around the flank and shoot 'em in the butt, the casualties for you should be lighter, much lighter, unless you're using a seige engine.

I'm not a great fan of that though. Is it not very realistic to flank with archers/slingers and shoot 'em in the butt?

I think its alright to line up missile troops behind the enemy line for the post-break duck shoot. Also I'm very happy to run javelin-armed boys around the flanks, let 'em fling a volley into the rear of an engaged enemy unit and then close for the kill.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Personally, I was feeling all feudal warlord like in the event. "Who cares about a bunch of peasants anyway?"
    What, you've gone all Longshanks on us?

"Send in the Irish"

Except the next line is:

"...arrows cost money"
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

And remember, more friendly fire = less upkeep. Everybody wins!

I presume that you can't gain experience by killing your own men?
    One balloon for not being Roman

personally i find archers and the like useless. on average i see about 10-20 kills per archer unit in a battle with an above average archer (missle attack 4). that just isn't enough kills to make a difference and you have to keep reserves in the back to keep em protected from the inevitable cavalry flanking maneuver. keeping reserves in the back to counter the flanking maneuver is a good idea anyway, but protecting these worthless units is getting annoying. i might try that "shoot em in the butt" maneuver some time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzifuge
    i might try that "shoot em in the butt" maneuver some time though.
    Once you go for the backdoor, you never go back. Especially using a solid 12 inches of shaft with an iron head...
    One balloon for not being Roman

EB Concept Artist Member fenix3279's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apgad
    Once you go for the backdoor, you never go back. Especially using a solid 12 inches of shaft with an iron head...

I just had the wrong image
    My balloon collection

That which does not kill me makes me stronger ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

When you smoke the herb, it reveals to yourself ~ Bob Marley

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Ranged units are best used against light infantry or other ranged units. Archers and slingers will pin down skirmishers and prevent them and their javalins from coming in range of your main lines. In most armies they should still only be a small proportion, though.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Slingers can put quite a bit of hurtin' on even cataphracts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by defiant3279

I just had the wrong image
    you're not alone
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosemanmoo
    you're not alone
    Indeed. Makes me wonder what kind of person I´ve become, when such a comment brings me such a image.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

A few lead bullets or flaming arrows in an enemy unit's right side or rear will cause casualties and fear (slings more lethal and have higher rate of fire from my experience, but flaming arrows cause fear). Pin with infantry and throw missiles up the enemy arse.

This tactic is common amongst the best clan players on multiplayer: whoever wins the skirmish can screen their heavy infantry with light infantry/missile troops while sending a few around to the flanks with the cavalry. Fire a few rounds on enemy cavalry before charging, then swing missile troops around to enemy rear and fire missiles at their backs.
    Last edited by TWFanatic; 02-22-2008 at 17:20.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    What, you've gone all Longshanks on us?

"Send in the Irish"

Except the next line is:

"...arrows cost money"
    "Archers."
    "Won't we hit our own troops?"
    "Yes. But we'll hit theirs as well. And we have reserves. Attack."
    "I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." -Hamlet, II, ii

"Historians and others attempt to pin the tail on the reluctant monkey of change." -excerpt from a real college essay, from Ignorance is Blitz by Anders Henriksson

Quote Originally Posted by Apgad
    And remember, more friendly fire = less upkeep. Everybody wins!

I presume that you can't gain experience by killing your own men?
    I probably shouldn't be laughing at the thought of using your own men as target practice, but...