Thread: Better image uploaders?

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

Question Better image uploaders?

I've used ImageShack for a couple of my images that I've posted, and have done so successfully. But I've noticed an increase in the amount of spam entering my email inbox.

I suspect imageshack to be the culprit because I've haven't given my email to anyone except imageshack, when it asks for it when you upload my picture ().

Two Questions:
    1)Has anyone else encountered this problem?

2)Does anyone know of better image uploaders that don't spam your email?
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Better image uploaders?

I use Photobucket. It's as efficient, if not more, than Imageshack, and they send me an email on the avarage of once every two months. No spam, either.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-22-2008 at 18:11.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I use photobucket as well. The only drawback is that any images over 1024x768 are resized down to that resolution. This isn't a major problem, but it can be inconvenient at times (such as for the KOTR Library shot of the family tree). One of these days I may just start paying for my account to get around it.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

I use Google's Picasa service. The image sizes are capped and the types of images you can upload are limited because Picasa is really supposed to be for pictures, but I find it convenient because I already have a Google account that I use for pictures and the Picasa app does all the image fiddling I'm prepared to bother with making it a single app solution.

I'm aware this isn't a big concern for game screenshots, but I am not a fan of the user agreements on the free accounts at Photobucket or ImageShack, but it's been well over a year since I ditched my accounts at those places so things may have changed.

The best solution for your problem might be just to have a spam email account you use to sign up for things like ImageShack. That's what I do, and it's completely irrelevant to me how much spam it gets because no one I'd care to read an email from would use that addy. Hotmail, Yahoo, Inbox.com, and about a thousand other options are out there for free.

Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

Thanks for the input.

I'll probably start using photobucket from now on. Also, I forgot to mention that I think imageshack may have put some adware on my computer. It f***ed up Internet Explorer, so I had to switch completely over to Firefox and uninstall IE. I once opened up IE and got a pop up that was connected to it, and later I couldn't connect to the internet at all (it gave me a cannot display page) when I was clearly connect to the internet.
    But its all good now.
    Last edited by Good Ship Chuckle; 02-22-2008 at 19:06.
    Eshmunazar lol

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

You don't actually need to subscribe to imageshack to use it.... I've been using it that way without giving it my email for years and not had problems with adware etc. it has occasional slow server moments but otherwise seems ok, though if you want a user account where you can group your stuff together do try one of the others.

And yeah use something other than IE!
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Long live Internal Exploter.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

I use PhotoBucket a lot, but I find that ImageShack is often faster. I'd say, use PhotoBucket for pictures that you think you might want to use again, and use ImageShack for others.

Just don't sign up to ImageShack. Does signing up to ImageShack give you access to any privileges?
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I'm signed up and I'm getting no spam.

It lets you tag or delete your pics.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Long live Internal Exploter.

_________
    I actually don't have an account with Imageshack, regardless it still requires that you put in your email address when uploading an image. Which is how imageshack would've gotten my email address. Maybe the spammers got my email from an other source, but then again maybe not.
    Eshmunazar lol

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Good Ship Chuckle
    I actually don't have an account with Imageshack, regardless it still requires that you put in your email address when uploading an image. Which is how imageshack would've gotten my email address. Maybe the spammers got my email from an other source, but then again maybe not.
    It looks like it does (email slot is there) but you actually don't have to fill that in - just use the 'browse' button to find your file, then click the 'host it' button. It works perfectly and when it's loaded the file gives you a selection of different types of links you can copy and paste to link to the image or thumbnail (and might actually be quicker than waiting for it to send them to your email)
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    I'm signed up and I'm getting no spam.

It lets you tag or delete your pics.

I'm also signed up - have recived nought but the registration e-mail. I also have the click-and-upload function installed; an awesome function I might add.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

xs.to all the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Post Re: Better image uploaders?

The choice of e-mail address and provider can often make the user vulnerable to spam rather than actually who you give your e-mail address out to. Publicly exposing your e-mail address to areas where e-mail hunting bots can reach it (e.g. on this forum) is another key factor in having spam delivered into your inbox.

Hotmail, for example, is a frequent target since a large number of users use it. A provider such as BT Internet or Virgin Media may not be focused on so much - not many users stick to the e-mail address given to them by their ISP.

User names also can increase vulnerability. A name such as "John Smith" will probably end up being the target of a huge volume of spam - spammers try multiple combinations of first and last names when sending their spam out. More obscure names, such as "omanes.alexandrapolites@emailprovider.com" or "cannibalistic_rune_carver@emailprovider.com" probably would not be found so easily due to the words being used not especially common in e-mail addresses.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 02-24-2008 at 12:46.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed