Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wolfenstein ET anyone?

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Wolfenstein ET anyone?

I never considered Wolfenstein ET until my kids told me to play it. They love to beat their Dad in shooters.

Since I always do as I'm told, I enlisted along with dozens of other noobs (insert sepia photograph of Adrian II in battle fatigues with cigar stump in mouth and voice-over saying: 'The day before he saw action, Adrian II wrote in a letter to his girlfriend: "If I make it to Berlin I can finally pay for your abortion, so shut the * up and send me a cake, woman."').

Within minutes I found myself in the thick of the action in snowy Bavaria, a.k.a. Fueldump, one of the classic ET scenarios. I loved it, particularly the covert ops and mortar roles.

I began to frequent the servers of the sfs-clan.eu where a certain Tosa Inu is chief admin. The day before yesterday I even had the pleasure of blowing the Honourable Tosa Inu to smithereens with a mortar shell (yes, Tosa, I am Baby Jesus).

Yesterday I personally the fueldump twice in a row and made General.

Then it struck me that we could easily make an .Org team on WET. The game is totally free so everyone can play, the client can be quickly downloaded, no effort or expense required.

I could easily build a new character named Adrian II for the purpose. We could create characters under our Org. names. Maybe Tosa Inu would be so kind to suggest the best way for us to engage in team warfare. Mayhaps we could set up a dedicated server. To put a long proposal short:

Headshot, anyone?
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Wolfenstein ET anyone?

link please
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

I suck at games like this, but for free I'll give it a whirl.

http://www.download.com/Return-to-Ca...-10243510.html
    (C'mon Woad, it was the first thing to come up on wolfenstien et :P)

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I've had poor luck getting such clients to work for me (not tech-savvy enough). I hit the download link, save file, and then when I click it on my desktop I get a message that windows doesn't recognize the file type and doesn't know what program to use to open it. From there I'm stumped. A little friendly tech support and I'd be happy to join in.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello Adrian II,

While I have both RTCW and ET and played both online and used the nick TosaInu there as well, I'm not the Tosa Inu you saw.

ET is a nice game indeed, Kraellin and me played quite some.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

If I can get it to work, I'm in.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Shouldn't this be in the Arena?

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    Shouldn't this be in the Arena?
    Im wondering the same thing.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Im wondering the same thing.
    Then move the sucker.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

If you see SpannendeOntNoobing, that's moi

I've played this years ago.

For a very short while as it didn't take me long to realize I was way too slow for such a fast game.

I might give it another try, hoping that my eyes will survive the old graphics.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    I've had poor luck getting such clients to work for me (not tech-savvy enough). I hit the download link, save file, and then when I click it on my desktop I get a message that windows doesn't recognize the file type and doesn't know what program to use to open it. From there I'm stumped. A little friendly tech support and I'd be happy to join in.

Ajax
    The file from download.com seems to be an executable(.exe), should be easy to open and install. I'm currently downloading it as a zip archive and every Windows since ME or so can open these by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    I've played this years ago.

For a very short while as it didn't take me long to realize I was way too slow for such a fast game.

I might give it another try, hoping that my eyes will survive the old graphics.
    Same here, come to think of it, I doubt my old account even works. But this is good because I just opened a thread about a online shooter that is still being played and I forgot all about this one. But it's fast indeed, I am used to the pace of Rogue Spear, which can't be mentioned without reminding everyone of the absolute fact that it is the best multiplayergame ever created.

For those who have not yet played, I recommend Wolf ET. Seriously, it's really fun and well done for a free multi player game.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

It's fun, I suppose, but it's far too fast, and sort of hard to keep track of what's going on. My mind is more suited to tactics and strategy than shoot-'em-ups of this pace, though I admit I have a certain liking for James Bond games.

I prefer Red Orchestra or similar games. Besides, it doesn't have connection problems or lag for me nearly as much, interestingly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    If you see SpannendeOntNoobing, that's moi
    I haven't killed a gentleman by that name yet, but I will casually mention it here as soon as I run into you. And the game is not too fast. I mean come on. I'm fifty years old and I get a few kick votes against me every night because people think I'm a haxzor or a spawnkiller.

That's when you know you're good.

'Reinforce that bridge! Follow me!'

50 years old and still not over the teenage phase of bragging about your geekish achievements.

Well, I also play TeamFortress 2 now so maybe I got a little bit faster but noone said I'm good in TF2. Just 2 days ago I quit because it felt useless to try and achieve a lot more with all those pros who blow you up in the second they see you.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I'm getting

C:\Documents and Settings\ajaxfetish\Desktop\wolfet.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
    Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

What a great freebie game. I'll have to download it again... haven't played in a couple years.

It also has a Linux version- props to the devs there.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-24-2008 at 09:02.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    I'm getting

Ajax
    Have you tried downloading it again? The file could be corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    50 years old and still not over the teenage phase of bragging about your geekish achievements.
    Boys will be boys, Husar, and I am a rare geriatric species. I drink, I smoke, I laugh at all the wrong jokes, and if you'll promise to keep it a secret I'm not ashamed to say I still have sex at my extremely advanced age. And I'll tell you something else: to a doddering senile like myself, blowing out the brains of half the 15-year-old population on an FPS-server is almost as good as sex.

The part about the kick votes every night was overstated though, it was only in the beginning that I got those about every other night. Particularly when I made the mistake of experimenting with the mortar on a server that acknowledges friendly fire...

People talking about their quirks usually find theirselves to be an uninteresting conversation-partner did you know that?

It's on, I hope vista will allow all that

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Hello Adrian II,

While I have both RTCW and ET and played both online and used the nick TosaInu there as well, I'm not the Tosa Inu you saw.
    Well, that is somehow a relief. I first saw the name when the killing counter said: 'Tosa Inu never saw Baby Jesus's mortar coming..'
    I thought: 'Well I'll be damned, I just killed the Admin of my favourite site'.
    People talking about their quirks usually find theirselves to be an uninteresting conversation-partner did you know that?
    Yes, I am a total bore.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 02-24-2008 at 16:06.

Acceptance is important, really it is. It isn't the end of your life that we have to keep you entertained with all that shiny new stuff.

Acceptance is important, really it is. It isn't the end of your life that we have to keep you entertained with all that shiny new stuff.
    You are great entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    You are great entertainment.
    It will have to do now won't it

It will have to do now won't it
    It's more of a daily divertisement, really.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 02-24-2008 at 17:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    It's more of a daily divertisement, really.
    That is what fun is for some, some have it all the time.

I'll dl and join you guys. I used to be pretty good, back in the day.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

OK, so I propose we all buckle up and try some the www.sfs-clan.eu servers.

They have three servers running 24/24, the mods and atmosphere are okay there and they don't wipe your XP all the time. If our American friends have trouble logging on to an sfs server or getting acceptable pings (25 to 60) we can always change to another server.

Warning: the language on sfs-servers is not PG13 and the Medics are outfitted as women in tight pants; as a Covert Ops you can, um, divest them of their upper garments.. unless they kill you first and use their knife to cut off your um.. well, you get the picture.

The first sfs-server is for Fueldump only. Fueldump is teh original WET scenario and it is still so popular that it deserves its separate server.

The second server, 'Africa', has three other classic scenarios that are constantly recycled: Battery, Oasis and Goldrush (aka Tobruk).

The blueprints of the maps are kinda hard to find on the Web, but I have found a good URL here.

The third sfs server has twelve different scenarios for hardcore players, so I think we should stay away from that one for the time being.

I will create a new character named Adrian II on sfs-fueldump and see what comes up. Starting anew means you suck as a marksman etcetera, but is worth the trouble and promotion is very fast in this game if you play it well.

I play the American side usually, but if luck finds me on the Kraut side I won't hesitate to shoot, Jahaaa!

P.S. Oh, and Ajax, there are two patches. Make sure to install the 260b patch. It is indispensable.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 02-24-2008 at 20:05.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast