Thread: Spartacus

Default Spartacus

I saw Spartacus last night. The remake with Goran Visnic. It was horrible. besides being shot in Bulgaria it has no positive feature- at least for me. And I saw a Roman general (someone I have never heard of in reality- Publius Maximus) order the archers and slingers to drive the rebels out of the woods! With missiles?! Come on I now history is not filmmakers' strong side, but you may at least think for a second!
    The upper remake about Bulgaria has a downside too. Unfortunately it means watching some of our finest actors play small parts as slaves for a few dollars. Sad but true.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spartacus

I suppose if you make it flaming arrow it might reduce their moral to 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Well, at least it was close to Publius Crassus. But really, the best way to get historical accuracy in battles would be to invent a time machine. o.O Movies?Can't depend on 'em.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I saw this remake a few years ago, and I too was dreadfully disappointed by it after getting optimistic about it from trailers and tv spots.

I think there was a Roman general named 'Corplius Maximus', whose name always made me laugh because when I first heard his name I thought it was 'Corpulence Maximus' which, though my Latin is rusty, roughly translates to 'Fat Maximum'

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matinius Brutus
    I saw Spartacus last night. The remake with Goran Visnic. It was horrible. besides being shot in Bulgaria it has no positive feature- at least for me. And I saw a Roman general (someone I have never heard of in reality- Publius Maximus) order the archers and slingers to drive the rebels out of the woods! With missiles?! Come on I now history is not filmmakers' strong side, but you may at least think for a second!
    The upper remake about Bulgaria has a downside too. Unfortunately it means watching some of our finest actors play small parts as slaves for a few dollars. Sad but true.
    welcome to the world of historical inaccuracy, Matinius Brutus. its something which everyone in EB must struggle with, but someday, we will win!
    lol
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 02-25-2008 at 16:11.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I thought the original Spartacus, the one starring Kirk Douglas, was pretty good, but I was only about seven years old when I saw it, so I can't speak for its accuracy. All I can remember is loving those flamin' logs! Better than pigs any day!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I
    I thought the original Spartacus, the one starring Kirk Douglas, was pretty good, but I was only about seven years old when I saw it, so I can't speak for its accuracy. All I can remember is loving those flamin' logs! Better than pigs any day!
    Indeed it is one of the most accurate movies of the 50's. it was the rebels that launched burning hay balls downhill on the advancing Romans, and there are skirmishing legionaries maybe representing the Antisigniani.

Cheers.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I've this nagging recollection the Roman soldiery were wearing LS, though. Leather ones.

Also, those utterly tacky romantic scenes made the whole theater burst out laughing.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Like I say, I was a little boy. But some of those combat scenes were awesome. Why don't they make movies like that anymore? Spartacus, Ben-Hur, man they did some good work back in the day.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

And snails and oysters...
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Some say thats a mater of taste and morals...

Right, lets see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FYG...eature=related
    Last edited by cmacq; 02-25-2008 at 20:31.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Cool Re: Spartacus

was Bigus Dicus in the newer spartacus. Forgive my spelling I neither speak or write Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq
    Oh, man, that was funny. They don't make TV ads like they used to either. I just about rolled out of my chair. I'm Spartacus!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of that youtube clip, I was recently trying to find the original of that scene to point out why a couple of us had suddenly posted "I am spartacus!" in a thread on another board but all I could find was cheezy ripoffs like that
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by hoom
    Speaking of that youtube clip, I was recently trying to find the original of that scene to point out why a couple of us had suddenly posted "I am spartacus!" in a thread on another board but all I could find was cheezy ripoffs like that
    Right, let us see then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCs...eature=related

The final battle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRn...eature=related

...a little better look at a armour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvZ7BbNGDco&NR=1

and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB2r...eature=related
    Last edited by cmacq; 02-25-2008 at 21:54.

Dang! I actually wanted to see the rest of it...grr I guess ill have to buy it then >:P

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    And snails and oysters...
    Best. Pickup. Speech. Evar.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Generally Spartacus with Kirk Douglas is a great movie. Compared to modern "historical" productions, like Kingdom of Heaven it's really great.

Oh, btw on that matter, anyone remember the Seven Samurai? Man that film brings tears to the eyes

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

If you really want to go for the best movie of all time, do take the time to watch the epic Ran. Rarely have I been so moved and overwhelmed by a movie.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Gah! I swear that wasn't there the other day
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by SaberHRE
    Generally Spartacus with Kirk Douglas is a great movie. Compared to modern "historical" productions, like Kingdom of Heaven it's really great.

Oh, btw on that matter, anyone remember the Seven Samurai? Man that film brings tears to the eyes

A GREAT MOVIE. Amongst my favourites. Dunno 'bout accuracy. Eastern history is very very weak.

Too bad none of these Sparts' movies depict the midnite raid of the flammin cows on Cassius' Itai-toe berm.

Personally, my fave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahqu...eature=related

Bring me my bride!
    Last edited by cmacq; 02-27-2008 at 03:42.