Thread: Change for the better?

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Change for the better?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7264903.stm
    Turkey is preparing to publish a document that represents a revolutionary reinterpretation of Islam - and a controversial and radical modernisation of the religion.

The country's powerful Department of Religious Affairs has commissioned a team of theologians at Ankara University to carry out a fundamental revision of the Hadith, the second most sacred text in Islam after the Koran.
    At first glance, it seems to be a very useful new look at the basis of Islam, a basis which has been shown many times to be extremely shaky, outdated and easy to misuse. The example of women traveling further into the article is hopeful. I've heard of similar projects such as this before, but never with such ambition and the ability to spread widely - also in Europe - through backing by the state.

But that is the part which raises some doubts: the role of the state in this. I can imagine quite a few people would disagree with a re-emphasis on the attempts of the Turkish state to exert control over Islam, in what is essentially a retooling as part of overall attempts to modernise (with or without the EU), if not necessarily westernise. I'd be interested in Muslim views on that.

Any opinions on the matter? Good thing or bad thing, or no prospect of difference?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Change for the better?

Could be a change for the better but I doubt there are good intentions here, especially considering considering Erdogan's show in germany. If I was really cynical I would call it buying time. And I happen to be extremily cynical.

Any opinions on the matter? Good thing or bad thing, or no prospect of difference?
    Islam like all religeon goes through theological movements and modernises , it always has .
    Fundamentalism is the movement that wants to turn back those changes .
    So you have Jewish fundamentalist , Christian fundamentalists and Islamic fundamentalists , the common thing between them is that they tend to be not much fun and are nuts .

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

So. After Obama looses the election, off to Turkey?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

This is a good thing, but I can only see violence coming out of it in the short run. Basically the extremists will be more marginalised and will be forced to resort to even more violence.

However, for the average Muslim - great news.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    So. After Obama looses the election, off to Turkey?
    Nah - no oil there.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I like the initiative, but I'm not a muslim. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how much it catches on.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    But that is the part which raises some doubts: the role of the state in this. I can imagine quite a few people would disagree with a re-emphasis on the attempts of the Turkish state to exert control over Islam,
    Well, this Department of Religious Affairs is not some clerical board like the college of cardinals. They're not able to force anything. It's doubtful wether many muslims outside Turkey will pay attention to it because it's a government initiative, but I don't expect harm will come from it.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring
    ...Well, this Department of Religious Affairs is not some clerical board like the college of cardinals. They're not able to force anything. It's doubtful wether many muslims outside Turkey will pay attention to it because it's a government initiative, but I don't expect harm will come from it.
    More likely a schism, similar to the Eastern Orthodoxies v Rome, then?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.