Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: European Union

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: European Union

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Hmm, what was the conflict regarding the missile shield about now again? Who is it that constantly thumb down the US resolutions in the security council, and vice versa? It is not Russia, because the US loves their ruski comrades and vice versa.

Yes, Putin & co is not fond of democracy, so their interest are in conflict with Europe; but Europe has no use for a US rocket shield, thus we are stuck between.
    The same conflict you people are having.

So you speak for Europe now? Or Norway does? We = Norway = YOU /= Europe.

Do you really think this has anything to do with democracy? You are stuck in the Cold War.

Read up.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    The same conflict you people are having.
    There are many different conflicts; but the U.S.' interests typically differ from the European.

Do you really think this has anything to do with democracy?
    Yes, how many real democratic nations do Russia support? Democracy could ruin Putin's great plans; he would maybe not have enough support in the people. By plans I do not mean action; I mean what he achieves in his dreams at night.

You are stuck in the Cold War.
    Try again. Russia was only a wet dream and a silenced past at the time.
    Last edited by Viking; 03-18-2008 at 21:18.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

There are many different conflicts; but the U.S.' interests typically differ from the European.

Yes, how many real democratic nations do Russia support? Democracy could ruin Putin's great plans; he would maybe not have enough support in the people. By plans I do not mean action; I mean what he achieves in his dreams at night.

Try again. Russia was only a wet dream and a silenced past at the time.
    If you do a comparison I'm sure you'll find that the US and Europe have a greater percentage of similar interests than each has with other regions. The differences vary greatly from state to state.

Putin loves democracy! If he can control it. It's not a competition between forms of government more but traditional old-school power games. I think Europe (to exclude Norway) is fairly safe from Russian aggression. After all, who would buy their fuel?

I don't quite understand your last sentence but the only things that are making Russia wet are oil and gas.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 03-18-2008 at 21:45.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

If you do a comparison I'm sure you'll find that the US and Europe have a greater percentage of similar interests than each has with other regions. The differences vary greatly from state to state.
    Most European states have different interests, depending on how near Russia they are. The US is on the other side of the pond; the interests differs even more and they need to be put in a much more global context.

Putin loves democracy! If he can control it. It's not a competition between forms of government more but traditional old-school power games. I think Europe (to exclude Norway) is fairly safe from Russian aggression. After all, who would buy their fuel?
    As it is today, every European nation is safe for Russian aggression; Russia just like showing of their might, like the recent increase in Russian aerial activity in the Barents Sea.
    By the way, Saddam Hussein liked his democracy too.

I don't quite understand your last sentence but the only things that are making Russia wet are oil and gas.
    Well I can give you a hint: Russia did not exist. Yet.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Well I can give you a hint: Russia did not exist. Yet.
    Russia has been around for a very long time. Part of which can still be considered a part of Europe.

Down with dried flowers!

Russia has been around for a very long time. Part of which can still be considered a part of Europe.
    Yes, but the two major participants in the Cold War were the US and the Soviet Union. Russia was having a break.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Well, only an idiot can expect that country as big and as powerful as Russia stand on the sidelines of the world politics forever. They had their problems, with the revolution, corruption, transition but now they are slowly getting up and it is perfectly normal that they want a say in almost all issues.

Personally, I think that EU should try to bring Russia closer instead of pushing it away. Pushing away the country that is the richest in resources in the world, when the world is on a brink of an energy crisis is a very bad move...

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian
    Well, only an idiot can expect that country as big and as powerful as Russia stand on the sidelines of the world politics forever. They had their problems, with the revolution, corruption, transition but now they are slowly getting up and it is perfectly normal that they want a say in almost all issues.

Personally, I think that EU should try to bring Russia closer instead of pushing it away. Pushing away the country that is the richest in resources in the world, when the world is on a brink of an energy crisis is a very bad move...
    The problem is that we've realised we're a bit too dependent on Russian resources for our own good, so we're trying to keep them reasonably happy while looking for ways to wean ourselves off Russian gas.

Pushing it away? That's a new one, thank you.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 03-24-2008 at 14:50.

Down with dried flowers!

Bah, we should put money into science regarding fission of thorium as well as fusion reactors in order to drastically ease reliance upon others.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Bah, we should put money into science regarding fission of thorium as well as fusion reactors in order to drastically ease reliance upon others.
    You are such a greedy man...
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    You are such a greedy man...
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that we should fission our beloved money. Rather I was pointing out the great need we have for this technology as thorium is plentyful in my backyard.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Well, here it's a bad idea to build your house on a lot of coal, you will have to sell it to the coal mining company for the common good. You may say this is unfair etc. but when your whole region suddenly gets no power anymore and they say it's because this one guy refused to let them get coal from under his house, resulting in the whole mining having to stop...well...vigilantes?

Also reminds me of those western movies where stupid farmers try to stop the progress of technology by holding onto their cows instead of allowing a railway to be built through their land.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

And in the meantime, you're going to stay warm by thinking happy thoughts?

Vikings don't need heat but for 6 months out of the year.

Down with dried flowers!

I'm not going to embrace a country that shows such disrespect for democracy.

Vikings don't need heat but for 6 months out of the year.
    We could need some global warming up here, Al Gore should be our prime enemy methinks.
    That said, Norway got all the energy it needs. Even better, it'll still be renewable for the next two billion years or so.
    Last edited by Viking; 03-28-2008 at 14:55.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I hate the EU because I have to study it.

Also I am less full of praise for democracy than everyone else seems to be. Bah maybe that is just me though, watching all this coverage of the US and its electoral activities (from the UK) is enough to make me sick. Not that the EU is democratic. Not that it should be either, you don't need democracy in what is fundamentally an international organisation.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123