Thread: 1 in 100 U.S. Adults Behind Bars, New Study Says

Default 1 in 100 U.S. Adults Behind Bars, New Study Says

I guess it is a fitting topic after the "Ricky" thread. Personally it is a shameful sign for a country to have so many behind bars. Or the population is inclined to crime or the country is overly severe with many criminal acts.

NYTimes
    "Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: 1 in 100 U.S. Adults Behind Bars, New Study Says

He gave an example.

“We have 5,500 D.W.I offenders in prison,” he said, including people caught driving under the influence who had not been in an accident. “They’re in the general population. As serious as drinking and driving is, we should segregate them and give them treatment.”

A section from the article i qouted to make a point...

I think we are all to ready to put people into prison, its the quick and easy answer just to lock someone away, but so many crimes could be much better handled with rehabilitation and community service imo.

One of the main problems i have with prisons is that they are like schools for criminals, i have heard endless storys of criminals coming out of prison worse than when they went in, worse in morality, view of society, friends/contacts made inside and the fact they can learn their trade or a different criminal trade from one of the many experts they live with....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

What doe you suggest that we do with the 1 in 100 adults who are in prisons?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What doe you suggest that we do with the 1 in 100 adults who are in prisons?
    Put them in politics and put the politicians in prison

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

1 in 100 U.S. Adults Behind Bars
    I was the 1 in 100 US adults found under the bar - so now I drink at teh home.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's a start but there are so many of them