Thread: Camels?

Default Camels?

Hey, I noticed there's a lack of mounted Camel units in this mod. Were camel-mounted warriors really rare enough that you consider them not worth including? I know they weren't used nearly as often as Vanilla RTW suggests, but I think, at least among pastoral nomads, that dromedary-riding warriors were common enough to have them as a Eleutheroi option.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Default Re: Camels?

The only ever use of dromedaries as war mounts in the period concerned I know of would be the northern Arabs, who liked to stick an archer atop one and be a real nuisance to their neighbours. A fine tradition that, as they apparently made no small amounts of trouble already for the ancient Israelites and the Assyrians.

Known to have formed part of the Seleukid skirmish line at Magnesia, too. Seen some talk of "swords four cubits long so they might reach their enemies from their high seat" in the context.

That's it, though. Camelids make lousy war-beasts in general far as I know - too stubborn and temperamental probably, and equipped with a rather inconvenient body geometry.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well, I know that they were used later in history, perhaps it wasn't until the Arab conquests that use became more common. That makes sense, since it seems that the Arabs were more fond of the animals than anyone else. I know more about the Arab conquests and the medieval period than Antiquity, especially the time the mod covers. I just assumed that since they were used in combat then, they were used in combat earlier. Even in that period, they weren't terribly common, but probably common enough that, should a game take place between the 600s-1200s, it should probably have them at least as an option, though probably not the best one.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

The Islamic Conquest period Arabs didn't use them as war mounts even that much, AFAIK.

I think you're confusing their actual main military use - transportation and pack animal - with combat use... In the latter the animals tended to chiefly get used as an obstacle to horses, a "cunnin' plan" apparently already employed by Cyrus the Great to distrupt the Lydian cavalry.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

This place called 'rooms,' there's a whole chain of them.

No offense to you, DefenderofFuture, but seems that camel threads are almost as common as LS threads. From what I've read previously, the cost in model slots would make camels totally impractical in putting in the game, especially for their rarity in the period, though even if they were more common it would probably be a toss up due to the technical limitation.
    Colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine suckin' pups pulling a #4 trap up a hill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full of porcupine quills.

My videos

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

LS
    camels
    "what's the script?"
    "omg it's too slow!"

The classic EB forum threads

You forgot "these naked wild men are overpowered".

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Slingers.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

you're both right and there's also "why aren't there my legions in custom battles?"

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

i think you forgot to mention all the "omg the ptolemies have taken half the map and are kicking everyones ass" threads

- REVENGE!!!
    - A NEW DYNASTY!!!

- a very generous bribe from Yarema

Wow.

I guess I struck a nerve? Sorry, I apparently don't visit these threads enough...

No Camels? Sure, no Camels! Alright! We all happy?

Haha, I don't even LIKE Camel units in games...too overpowered to the point of bs...
    Last edited by DefenderofFuture; 03-05-2008 at 06:07.

But yeah, I assume you guys know more about the intricacies of the Camel in warfare than I do. Sorry I brought it up

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Bit late, but when camels were used it was a rarity. They were extremely important throughout the Arabian peninsula, but not as mounts for battle - they were used as pack animals and for warriors to get to and from the battlefield. If they got directly involved it was usually chance. Those are the most important reasons for not including them.

Edit: just a quick quote from something I have lying around about Southern Arabia:
    When in other contexts we find the expression 's1d/rkb "mounted warriors", who are clearly different from the cavalry, we must infer that they were mounted on camels; in early Arabic, a rakib without further specifications is assumed to be riding a camel. But the contexts do not suggest that camel-riders formed a distinct mehariste wing. It is more probably that, as was the custom in early central Arabia, riding camels were used by the whole army to ensure mobility, but in battle the riders dismounted to fight on foot. [...] Correspondingly, references to "men on foot" should not be taken to indicate a distinct infantry wing, but rather men not possessed of camels, who probably when on the march rode pillion behind one who did have a camel; this was also a common central Arabian custom.
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 03-05-2008 at 11:44.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Geoffrey, that's a great quote, because I had read sources that mentioned "camel warriors", but that makes a LOT more sense than actually riding the camels to battle. Much like Dragoons from later European warfare who, rather than being actual mounted warriors, would dismount before battle. Thus, these guys who rode battles TO battle rather than IN battle is a very satisfying explanation. I know also that, of course, Camels were used in transport (and also for meat and milk), and that people would often switch to a horsey before battle was joined. I simply was protesting because I had read about camel warriors, but I just took the wrong interpretation of what a "Camel Warrior" was.

AKA, feel free to delete this thread, o powers that be. My complaint has been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gebeleisis
    i think you forgot to mention all the "omg the ptolemies have taken half the map and are kicking everyones ass" threads

Oh no, you forgot

"Haha, these load of NOOBS, we dont want them, go away, why should we have to explain something"

Ha ahaha, ahaha Naw (as we say in Scotland). Give him a break ....and did i just see what i thought i saw..Stupac?

'even if camels were common, they take up too many model slots so they couldnt be included'

What! What on earth kind of a justification is that for not having them in the most uber realistic game ever?
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Camels?

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers
    'even if camels were common, they take up too many model slots so they couldnt be included'

What! What on earth kind of a justification is that for not having them in the most uber realistic game ever?
    The fact that the R:TW engine only allows for a limited number of models, and hence only a finite number of units can be included?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

And I quote...
    "LS"
    "camels"
    "what's the script?"
    "omg it's too slow!"
    "Slingers."
    "omg the ptolemies have taken half the map and are kicking everyones ass"

Wouldn't life just be easier if we stickied these? We would save room and stress and new guys would find it easier as well. Just an idea.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Tacitus
    And I quote...
    "LS"
    "camels"
    "what's the script?"
    "omg it's too slow!"
    "Slingers."
    "omg the ptolemies have taken half the map and are kicking everyones ass"

Wouldn't life just be easier if we stickied these? We would save room and stress and new guys would find it easier as well. Just an idea.
    I tried to adress most of these problems in the FAQ when I rewrote it. But I guess nobody ever reads it...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    I tried to adress most of these problems in the FAQ when I rewrote it. But I guess nobody ever reads it...
    I did Marcus! You've done a great job there!!! You work was not in vain