I have had a look at the FAQ threads around the place and they mention what some of the problems could be and some fixes, but don't seem to be helping me.

I am playing Rome and it is currently around 100 BC, I control All of Gaul, Germany, Greece, Spain, North Africa, and most of the area around modern western Turkey, virtually all of the historic captured lands by Rome. I am still using the original troops such as the Tiarii, and Principal Mantipal.

Yet with all these accomplishments there have been no reforms. I have 70 Generals some which have the 'Consul' title and the title which your General gets for constantly beating a common foe in battle. In 4 cities on the Italian Pennisualar virtually all of the buildings have been, this includes all the "barracks" buildings.

So is this an error, or have I missed something?

Why do the enemy Generals have the max amount of combat stars and yet mine have none?
I realise that in EB this accounts for very little and it all comes down to the traits a particular general has, but why do I not have any, except the ones my general achieve in battle. (I have also noticed that they only get traits and stars if they automatically control the battle compared to me doing it, however by letting the computer decide my forces are virtually always completely torn apart.)

I once did a battle where two competent Generals leading 2 armies of around 1800 men took on around 400 of the enemy forces in open terrain and lost. My forces were mixed with swordsmen, spearmen, archers horses, and phalaxs, all of good quality, while his were completely the opposite.