Hey guys,

Playing the Seleucids at the moment and cheating slightly by giving my faction leader the "impressed by Cats" trait I've got all the Elite units for Seleucids already at 250ish BC.

Just wondering though which units is the best out of the 3 Elite Infantry units available to the Seleucids?

1. Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou (Hellenic Elite Spearmen) - Javilins, stupidly heavy armour, but no sword or AP!
2. Hypaspistai (Hellenistic Royal Guard) - Nice swords + spears! Very versatile I think in that sense, no javilins!
3. Peltastai Makedonikoi (Hellenistic Elite Infantry) - Javilins, swords but not as great as the Hypaspistai swords + no spear though!

So looking at that I suppose which is "best" would depend on what situation you are in.

Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou it would seem are a hard core defensive unit. Spear armed with the highest armour value in the game for an infantry unit (please correct me if I'm wrong). The kind of unit you would want if there the last unit left in your town square during a siege! As for being assault infantry... with no sword or AP not sure they can fill that role very well. On a side note they do look awesome!

Hypaspistai I suppose these guys get my vote as they are the most versitile, they can effectively fill a defensive role + assault with there swords + spears. They don't carry javilins but thats only a minor issue I feel.

Peltastai Makedonikoi these are the cheapest of the 3. Same defense wise as the Hypaspistai (less armour but more defense skill), but lacking spears. So there not for holding positions or fending against cavalry but as described there for assaulting places... although not as effectively as Hypaspistai as there swords have higher lethality!

So all in all as I've mentioned above I feel the Hypaspistai to be the best "all round unit". It is a shame the Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou I feel don't fill there role as the best assualt infantry available to the Seleucid kings purely due to there lack of sword or AP. However wether this is intentional simply to stop them being hidiously over powered?

Any how what is your guys opinions on my break down? Any other points of view?

Cheers