Thread: Archived: Chronicle of Spain - A Redux 1004 AAR (Updated 1/2/14)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Archived: Chronicle of Spain - A Redux 1004 AAR (Updated 1/2/14)

Sons of Castile:
    A Redux Chronicle of Spain

Here begins my first Redux AAR (my first AAR ever, in fact). It's intended to be a walkthrough of the Spanish campaign with a few fictional additions, and it's certainly not intended to be historically accurate. I'm playing with Redux for MTW 1.1, RX Classic campaign, on veteran difficulty.

Prologue: The Chronicle Begins

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In this Year of Our Lord 972, being not much use to anyone now that my two daughters have grown and having entered my dotage, I, Rodrigo Moncada, loyal subject to the brave and cunning Felipe II, King of Spain, begin this account of all that befell the monarchs of this land — including deeds both heroic and dastardly, as well as moments of victory and of defeat — leading to its place as one of the foremost kingdoms of the world. It is by understanding the past that we may better understand the present, or so runs the common (and commonly dull) saying. But what of the future? It is by its very nature a thing unknown, or known only to God. Yet, can we not, in some small measure, know what is to come by knowing what has gone before? It is my hope that my chronicle of the sons (and daughters) of Castile will contribute to a greater understanding of how we might face the crises ahead. For neither the meanest donkey keeper, nor the loftiest merchant, will doubt that great travails await us in the coming years. But such is the fate of all the kingdoms of men, until the day the redeemer returns to forge a single kingdom of Heaven. What trifling gaps existed in my knowledge of these events I have endeavoured to fill through lengthy perusals of many a tome in the library at Valladolid, which remains the seat of all Spanish learning and power. God has spared my old eyes from blindness for yet another season as I write this. May it also please Him to spare your eyes as you read it.

Chapter 1: Dominion

It is no mystery to anyone now inhabiting the realm of Spain that the de Asturias family was present from the very beginning. The de Asturias clan is as old as the mountainous region from whence they took their name. Long had they ruled the land of Castile, bringing some measure of prosperity. Alfonso I of Castile, called the Silver-Headed, was the first to proclaim himself "King of Spain." Many called this a foolhardy gesture, and perhaps with good reason. Castile was still a land of pastures and hills, a few villages, and not much else besides. With only a modest castle from which to hold sway over his dominion, Alfonso de Asturias was nothing if not ambitious.

An ordinary ruler would have stuck to his stronghold, avoiding the perennial troubles of famine, disease, and banditry, with little hope of seeing his realm expand. But Alfonso was no ordinary ruler.

Leon, to the North, was a land rich in resources, but long held by vicious robber barons. Christians in name, perhaps, these men were long used to living off the weak. These self-styled "Kings of Leon" held the people to ransom with the points of their swords.

"I am as much a king as Alfonso of Castile. If he believes otherwise, let him come test me."

Alfonso knew that the usurpers would have to be dealt with eventually. For now, he would turn his attention to bettering his realm, and preparing his troops for the inevitable wars.

In AD 700, the king appointed a promising young nobleman named Fernando de Claris as "Protector of Castile." A knight by birth, de Claris was more passionate about archery than horsemanship, and took with him a retinue of bowmen wherever he went. De Claris proved to be an able administrator. Not a genius, by any stretch, but staunch in his support of the king.

"For my king, my country, and God."

In AD 701, Alfonso the younger came of age. His mother, the queen, was a Hungarian noblewoman of royal blood. She had grown much accustomed to the warm climate of Castile, which seemed to match her fiery temperament. In this, the son resembled his mother. Where King Alfonso was cold and exacting, Prince Alfonso was rash and indomitable. Indeed, Alfonso had also inherited more of his mother's looks, which led some at court to question his paternity, though never openly.

"One day, I will be king."

At this time, a strong Moorish Caliph had arisen in North Africa. Having subdued the independent muslim states of Spain, the Caliph now cast his eye toward the Christian kingdoms.

Alfonso knew his modest army was ill-prepared to face such a foe. Rather than appease the Moors with offers of tribute, he sought alliances with the other Iberian Christian kingdoms. He dispatched an emissary first to Portugal. The Portuguese were ruled by upstart lords who had come to claim kingship. While Alfonso did not intend to recognize their claims of sovereignty, he was prepared to form a strategic alliance. The Portuguese, also much disquieted by the Moorish advance, agreed.

Next, Alfonso sent his only daughter, princess Jimena, to the court of king Sancho I of Aragon. There, guided by her advisors, she was able to contract a marriage with the Aragonese crown prince. Prince Alfonso was sorry to see his sister go, since a fondness had existed between them from early childhood. But such was the way of things. This dynastic alliance was necessary to secure the North for the eventual confrontation with the Moors.

"I will serve my father by serving my new lord."

"The lady is fair. That makes my decision easier."

In the same year, the Portuguese launched an attack into the heart of Moorish Spain: Cordoba itself. King Alfonso did not condone the rashness of the invasion, and so did not participate. This proved a wise decision.

Meanwhile, Alfonso was preoccupied with matters in Castile. He understood that developing his territory's assets — both in food production and mercantile ventures — would be necessary to finance his ambitions.

His next oldest son, Sancho, came of age in 707, securing the Spanish king's dynasty.

"I will do what honour demands.

But war was on the horizon. By the summer of 708, Prince Alfonso had grown restless. Tired of court life and desirous of warfare and its spoils, he led a raiding party north into the unclaimed kingdom of Navarre, which was known to be rich in iron and copper.

The Basques who lived in that mountainous region were notorious for their ability to melt away in the face of organized invaders, only to regroup elsewhere and do all means of injury to their enemies. As expected, Alfonso's contingent encountered no open resistance as they raided deep into the mountains. What few villages they found were abandoned. The Basque lords had retreated to their mountain strongholds, taking what wealth they could. Though little loot was gained, Prince Alfonso and his men swelled with pride at the seeming helplessness of the Basques to defend their country. Alfonso plundered a full month before finally making preparations, in late August, to leave the country. As the Spanish raiders prepared to take the road through the mountains, however, they found the main pass blocked by a large Basque host. Alfonso and his men were hungry, tired, and vastly outnumbered.

A single Castilian horseman made it through an unguarded pass and — riding his horse to death — came to the court of King Alfonso. Upon hearing of his son's peril, the king sat for a long time, stroking his favourite hound, saying nothing. Some who saw him in that moment would later claim that his icy gaze seemed to travel a vast distance — perhaps to the place where his firstborn son now found himself trapped before an advancing host, or perhaps to some other place, where his other son, Sancho — who was well-liked at court and obedient by nature — was being crowned the next king of Castile. Then Alfonso stood and clapped his hands twice. To his steward, Lord de Claris, he said: "Prepare the men. Take a week's provisions from the storehouse." Turning on the lone messenger, he said: "Find yourself a new horse. Tonight you ride back into the mountains."

Chapter 2: The Battle for Navarre

It was Prince Alfonso's impatience that led the Spanish kingdom into its first overt clash with a foreign power, and it now fell to the king to see to his son's safety by risking all. King Alfonso led his men north in a two-day forced march. Approaching the Basque territory, they began to see smoke over the mountains. Scouts reported that the Basque host had broken camp and was preparing an attack on the prince's position. Using the same rocky defile by which the lone horseman had come, the king and his army were soon able to rendezvous with the prince, who had established his lines on a wide hill. The Basques, not suspecting that the Spanish king himself had arrived, remained confident in their numbers. King Alfonso now took charge of the entire Spanish host, arranging it over the top of the hill. He himself would command the royal cavalry — comprised of his own bodyguard, as well as some Spanish horsemen and lancers. Lord de Claris, according to the man's love of the bow, was put in charge of the archers. Prince Alfonso would command his own contingent of foot and cavalry on the left flank.

At midday, the Basque host opened its attack, advancing beneath a hail of arrows.

Moving with characteristic speed, some Basque horsemen ambushed Prince Alfonso on the left.

Alfonso and his bodyguard managed to fight them off, taking no losses.

Meanwhile, on the right, a furious melee developed as Basque horsemen attempted to encircle the Spanish line.

Together, the Spanish horse and foot were able to hold the line.

As Prince Alfonso and his men were chasing off the last of the Basque horsemen, a rogue knight ambushed the prince from behind.

The rogue knight was quickly dispatched by one of the prince's best men.

"My friend, I owe you my life."

The Basque centre and left flank collapsed simultaneously before a downhill charge by the Spanish.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Spanish swordsmen engaged the enemy general, now virtually alone with his small retinue, while Prince Alfonso and his knights charged from behind.

With the capture of their leader, the Basque forces melt away.

Scant mercy was shown to those unlucky enough to have been captured.

After the battle, the king rode to where his son stood and, seeing him bloodied and exhausted, said: "You've comported yourself well today. That is the only reason I will not strike your face from your head."

Alfonso dismounted in silence and bowed to his father.

Just then, a cry went up. More banners were sighted on the horizon. Another Basque host had arrived, larger than the first. Later, it was discovered that the first Basque host had been comprised of squires and lesser knights. Now came riding the flower of Basque chivalry.

At their head was a man called Raimundo de Claris, the cousin of the Lord de Claris, Protector of Castile, who had just proven himself in battle for his liege.

"My cousin is a churl," Lord Fernando told the king. "But he fights like a maddened bull."

Once again, King Alfonso and his son made ready to defend the hill, which the men had already dubbed "The waste heap" due to the great number of slain Basques that lay upon its side. For the Spanish, the coming battle would not be such a clean affair as the first.

The second battle of Gasteiz Hill opened with King Alfonso and his bodyguard facing a troop of Basque knights in the vanguard.

Prince Alfonso and his men, though still weary from the previous encounter, rushed to join the fray. The rogue Basque knights were slain to a man, before their comrades could catch up.

King Alfonso returned to the main Spanish line to supervise the defence, while his son the prince remained to face the Basque leader, Raimundo de Claris himself, a fearless and accomplished fighter. He took down several of the prince's royal bodyguards, and Prince Alfonso seemed to waver before him.

Seeing his son in danger, the king ordered a full out charge, resulting in a furious melee.

Then the Basque knight de Claris took an arrow to the face, shot by his own cousin, Lord Fernando, who thus proved his unflinching loyalty to the Spanish king.

The remainder of the Basque host took flight, only to be hunted down by Spanish horsemen.

The Basque knights had fought hard, which did not endear them to the Spanish king, who once again ordered all prisoners beheaded, with no regard for their titles.

The Basque nobility had been treated the same as their social inferiors. As one chronicler has remarked: "All men are made equal by death."

With the Basque strongholds now emptied of men, there was considerably more plunder to be had. The king and his son — and all the Spaniards who had survived the battle — spent the rest of the year living well off the stores of the fallen Basque lords.

For now, Navarre belonged to the Spanish.
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-08-2017 at 03:57. Reason: formatting

Members thankful for this post (2):