Thread: What the Backroom is good for, and what it is not

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default What the Backroom is good for, and what it is not

Disclaimer #1: I have had a bit to drink, including a tequila slammer. I also had an unpleasant interaction with a friend of my sister's.

Disclaimer #2: I have been thinking about this topic for a while and it's worth saying that Furunculus has voiced the sentiments I am about to expound in more... succinct... form.

The Backroom is a good place to come to debate with other knowledgeable and intelligent people on a given topic. Though debate we can come to a greater appreciation of the opposition's viewpoint and our share humanity. The fact that someone does not agree with your view is not, in itself, a moral failing and this truism is encapsulated in the unofficial motto of the Backroom - "Play the ball, not the man". The point is that if your disagree with someone you should attack their argument and engage in dialogue - not attack them personally and interpret a failure to recognise the perceived merits of your argument as a character fault. All else aside, this view absolves you of any responsibility to convince your interlocutor.

You are a fallible human being, you can be wrong and you can also be right but present a bad argument - at all times you should be mindful of this.

Recently, I feel that certain members have been focusing on actually convincing their perceived opponents of their view, or of tripping them up and exposing them to ridicule. Not only should such behaviours be anathema to the Backroom, but it is futile. The average IQ of a Backroom poster is significantly above average and average now is mid-to-late 30's. Nobody here has come to their political or philosophical viewpoint without due consideration.

At the end of the day, if you're focusing your energy on trying to change people's minds you will disappoint not only yourself but your interlocutors and instead of an intellectually profitable experience participation becomes a trial for all involved.

Put simply, we should also spend less time trying to wear each other down and more time trying to understand each other an individuals.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 10-27-2019 at 03:50.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (2):