How do the recruit-able client ruler generals ("bodyguards of the tyrant", "bodyguards of the archon", etc) work? I've been mostly figuring out EB2 by playing it since I don't see info online about how the game works. Forgive me if this is all posted on some FAQ somewhere.

I'm playing as Hayasdan. Many of the Hellenic settlements I capture are suffering from lots of unrest and cultural difference even though I'm destroying their govt and cultural buildings and replacing with my own. I discovered that client governments do better than royal administration, which makes sense. One day I realized some of the client-ruled settlements let me recruit a bodyguard unit, which I thought was just a unique unit but turns out is a general that works mostly like a family member, except it's a Hellenistic foot infantry unit instead of my Armenian cataphracts. They have traits that decrease unrest. What else should I know about them, or is that it?

Was also wondering in particular:
- Only some settlements let me recruit them, even if they're all on the same level of client government. Why is that?
- Is there some long-term benefit to recruiting "bodyguards of the archon" instead of "bodyguards of the tyrant"? One sounds better than the other :)

Thanks