Since I did Scotland and played them last night, I thought I'd do the other 1 prov faction up there, and try my hand at the Irish...

One thing I notice.. the Irish have FAR BETTER troops than Scotland or England.. for instance, the Irish START with Fianna Eirann (Joms Vikings), Gael Gaedhils (Berserkers) and Gallowglasses.. all VERY GOOD attacking troops..

So obviously offense is a key Irish attitude...
So with Offense.. the 1st target is definately Wales...

I build:

1 barque & 3 gallowglasses
Watch Tower, Church (happiness)
Trade Post & +60% farm ($$$$)

Now I dunno if this is a bug, or if it was done on purpose, and I started a new game with the Irish 5 times... and on Normal, the starting money is 10,000 florins instead of the 8,000 expected...

so if this was done on purpose, then the Irish has an advantage right there...

so 1096, I took Wales which would finally give me a profit, I also built a 2nd Barque and stuck it in the Channel which freaked out the Scots and English who promptly gave my an alliance.

So by 1100: I am now looking at assaulting Brittany/Flanders or taking the rest of the isles, since I have MUCH better offensive troops than the english, as thier best generals are on 'French' soil instead of on the Isles.

At this point, I know building a town guard would be useless, since I could tech up to Armored Spearmen soon enough, so I would continue the econ boost.. Merchant and +80% farm, and of course I built a watchtower and port in wales...

So at this point, I probably would hit the English while they are weak and take the rest of the isles and the Irish have better troops, it gives one a BIG advantage as the English have the $ and provinces .. but taking the English out of the Isles would be fun as the French will then take the rest of France and take out the English...