Thread: The Kingdom of Corinthia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Kingdom of Corinthia

Hi,

That's a good look for Corinthian troops. I am guessing that you wil put some form of helmet on the citizen hoplites etc. and are not finished with the skins and modesl yet??

Here's an idea, maybe try some purple in the clothing, or dark blue to provide some contrast with all the yelows and bronzes being used. Maybe some red too, dark purple-red, maroon maybe.

Agryaspides, Silver Shield Hypaspists etc., and another one is Chalcipides, or bronze Shields who were also elite or semi-elite troops and included eastern Greek hoplites that refused to adapt phalangite sarissas etc. and stubbornly continued to use the classical Greek hoplite panapoly.

I bet you'll make Zingara simialr to medieval Spain and Portugal, kind of obvious with the names used by Howard for some countries.

Chris

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

not to be critical but Companion cavalry(aka Hataori) were medium-heavy cavalry. Im also assuming youd be basing these companions on the historical ones. Good luck with the mod btw
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius of the Drake
    not to be critical but Companion cavalry(aka Hataori) were medium-heavy cavalry. Im also assuming youd be basing these companions on the historical ones. Good luck with the mod btw
    'Hetaroi' is the word you are looking for. Some later and eastern Agema/Hetaroi/Companion Cav. had at least partially armored horses so they would be Heavy Cav. at least for their time. However, Conan and Hyboria are fantasy, and as such may incorporate elements of Ancient, Dark Age, and medieval times as implied by Howard. So, I picture Cornithia and Argos as a blend of all three time periods, almost Late Roman or early to mid Byzantine IMHO. Romano-Hellenistic type helms would look OK IMHO, and some bronze or steel/iron curiasses/bresatplates and backplates would probably be OK.

IMHO I don't think an exact copy of Late Hellensitic troop types would be the way to go.

Chris
    Last edited by christof139; 08-21-2007 at 12:26.

Thanks for the posts lads!

That's a good look for Corinthian troops. I am guessing that you wil put some form of helmet on the citizen hoplites etc. and are not finished with the skins and modesl yet??
    The citizen hoplites will have helms in the later upgrades (when they start wearing mail). However, since these guys are "more" than just militia, I might just given them helms from the start. I guess I didn't want to evoke 300 too much (though Corinthian helms would likely be for heavier troops)

Here's an idea, maybe try some purple in the clothing, or dark blue to provide some contrast with all the yelows and bronzes being used. Maybe some red too, dark purple-red, maroon maybe.
    I was basing the bronze look on Hellenic pottery more than anything else, but I will be trying to use a range of different colours. Thanks for the suggestions too (I mostly based the colours on vanilla Rome's Greek factions, which in hindsight is probably the last thing to do. Yikes! )

Agryaspides, Silver Shield Hypaspists etc., and another one is Chalcipides, or bronze Shields who were also elite or semi-elite troops and included eastern Greek hoplites that refused to adapt phalangite sarissas etc. and stubbornly continued to use the classical Greek hoplite panapoly.
    Thanks, I couldn't remember what the greek term for "bronze shields" was, they were a choice too.

I bet you'll make Zingara simialr to medieval Spain and Portugal, kind of obvious with the names used by Howard for some countries.
    You bet right! The contrast is that Howard did give us some examples of Zingaran soldiers: all we know of Corinthian soldiers is that some mercenaries that Conan fought with had swords...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius of the Drake
    Well, technically I got a bit mixed up: I meant to put in a separate entry for Companions and Mounted Peltasts, but I forgot to add info for the two and accidentally put the info and names for the two together. Companions will indeed be very much based on Alexander's Hetairoi (i.e. medium-heavy cavalry), and the Mounted Peltasts on... erm, mounted peltasts!

Quote Originally Posted by christof139
    I picture Cornithia and Argos as a blend of all three time periods, almost Late Roman or early to mid Byzantine IMHO. Romano-Hellenistic type helms would look OK IMHO, and some bronze or steel/iron curiasses/bresatplates and backplates would probably be OK.

IMHO I don't think an exact copy of Late Hellensitic troop types would be the way to go.
    I agree. The units I've shown here aren't the full extent of Corinthia's troops, these are just the special factional units (of which there are admittedly many, but that's part of the beauty of the Hyborian Age: any gaps can be filled pretty well with a bit of imagination). They will have some definitely Medieval troops such as knights, men-at-arms, sergeants, crossbowmen, arbalesters and some Byzantine units like Kataphracts, though they will look a little "Greek" compared to others. The Hellenic overtones are mostly just design aesthetics for the unique units.

The muscled cuirasses/linen armour are mostly for flavour, but I justify it (in game) by the fact that Corinthia is naturally abundant in copper and tin, but suffers a lack of iron. Thus, they use "traditional" bronze helms and armour as opposed to steel, though they do trade for it for some of their weapons. Generally, it works out cheaper and more effectively for Corinthia to use bronze weapons than iron/steel.

At least, that's how I justify it.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Hey alot of modders have had better luck with pikemen not having a secondary and being able to use phalanx . Have you considered this in the past or are you the ones that say screw dat ?

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Looks like excellent work Taranaich, keep it going.

I like the Greek feel to the Corinth and look forward for more.

This is some pretty amazing stuff. I especially dig the way you have those guys dressed in either bronze muscle cuirass or in linothorax.

Now your roster looks pretty cool and I imagine you have some cool concepts for the armor progression of the units.

One suggestion if I may...

Hippotoxotai, HorseArchers. Don't know if those were done in the Conan universe, but it sure would be nice to have.

Anyways, great job. I will be watching.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty
    Hey alot of modders have had better luck with pikemen not having a secondary and being able to use phalanx . Have you considered this in the past or are you the ones that say screw dat ?
    There is a way to get pikemen to use pikes more often than swords by changing some numbers in the EDU, which is pretty successful: they only engage with swords when an enemy is within sword's reach, and use their pikes far more often as a result. Some very basic pikemen units who can't afford swords might be stuck with pikes, but I'm happy with the pike/sword combination, it gives them a bit of flexibility.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    There is a way to get pikemen to use pikes more often than swords by changing some numbers in the EDU, which is pretty successful: they only engage with swords when an enemy is within sword's reach, and use their pikes far more often as a result.
    Would you mind mentioning what that way is? I wasn't aware of a variable that determined the reach for each weapon in soldier's arsenal.

Read your reply, and it seems we have very similar idead. Ever think about using classic Greek body armor with a Late Roman or byzantine plumed helm?? That may give a good look and could be used for the Knoghts, especially with plumed helms and the large cheek guards of some of those Late Roman and Byzantine helms. You know what I am referring to.

Good idea about using the helms for armor upgrades too, makes it easier to actually visually identify units so upgraded.

Shield coloring is another thing that can be used, say Bronze Shields for lower level troops and Silver Shields for higher and/or upgraded level troops, and the same for helmet colors but maybe reversed, whatever suits ones fancy.

You've dome a lot of work already!!!

Chris

PS: A Praetorian Guard officer type look would be kind of interesting to use for the very elite troops, for the Infantry at least anyway IMHO. Good info. you gave about the copper and tin and bronze usage in Corinthia.

Quote Originally Posted by christof139
    Read your reply, and it seems we have very similar idead. Ever think about using classic Greek body armor with a Late Roman or byzantine plumed helm?? That may give a good look and could be used for the Knoghts, especially with plumed helms and the large cheek guards of some of those Late Roman and Byzantine helms. You know what I am referring to.
    I was thinking the more "advanced" a Corinthian unit, the more Byzantine it would look. Corinthian knights will pretty much resemble Clibinarii, with the byzantine helms with plumes and stuff.

PS: A Praetorian Guard officer type look would be kind of interesting to use for the very elite troops, for the Infantry at least anyway IMHO. Good info. you gave about the copper and tin and bronze usage in Corinthia.
    Well, I think the current unique Corinthian units is pretty much full, since I don't want to leave other factions in the lurch. I had initially only wanted to make four or five uniquely Corinthian troops, but I had so much fun making them I added a good dozen or so! Hopefully I can round out the other factions as fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    I was thinking the more "advanced" a Corinthian unit, the more Byzantine it would look. Corinthian knights will pretty much resemble Clibinarii, with the byzantine helms with plumes and stuff.

Well, I think the current unique Corinthian units is pretty much full, since I don't want to leave other factions in the lurch. I had initially only wanted to make four or five uniquely Corinthian troops, but I had so much fun making them I added a good dozen or so! Hopefully I can round out the other factions as fully.
    Ha ha ha!! 12 uniquely Corintian units you made!??! That's a lot, and good!!!

You are making some sharp units. Hey, if you have too many unique Corinthian units just transfer some over to Argos to save some work, might be OK.

The Late Roman - Early Byzantine helm, which name I could not remember a few posts back, is the Spanglehelm and its assorted variations, both plumed and unplumed. Combine this helm with earlier Greek armor and it may look very sharp and interesting, along with trousered legs and some Praetorian Officer style helms for Gens. and some Guard units, whatever.

Chris