Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet & Rules

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet & Rules

"So you're a criminal, then. Since I do not fancy giving money to criminals, I will no longer pay that tax in any shape or form, until the post is held by someone who respects the rule of law. Then you can say whatever you want about 'crisis giving right to criminality' or what-have-you."

Theodericus turns to Leopold and snorts.

"You 'selflessly defended our lands from the Magyar'. The fact that it was the Osterreich that was attacked had absolutely nothing to do with it, right?"

Theodericus laughs accusingly.

"A blind man could see through your empty rhetoric, Duke."

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

The Prinz

Margrave der Bartige, refusing to pay taxes levied by the Diet is itself a criminal act.

And I have marched to the rescue of several cities not my own to defend them from the Milanese, Polish and others.

I see through your childish attempts to bait me and will respond to your taunts no longer until you take a more mature stance.

May I also remind you that I am your Prinz, not a mere Duke. Show the proper respect.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Theodericus laughs once again.

"Maybe you would command more respect, Duke, if you spoke and behaved like a man who deserve it. Your continued contempt of honesty and the truth is truly laughable. You think having done what is no more than your duty to do should see you rewarded? But you didn't even do it as part of your duty, did you, when you cared more about who got the Milanese gold than about Milan falling into our hands? We all know your motivations for going there were never selfless, Leopold, so don't take us for fools. But that's not cheeky enough for you, is it? No, not only would you have us believe that your gold digging was selfless, but you expect us to swallow that that would make your defence of the Osterreich and your offensive raids into Poland and Hungary to take their cities for yourself was selfless, too! Is there no depth you won't sink to?

As for my refusal to pay the tax, surely you must understand that supporting a criminal is in itself a criminal act? Of course you do. You just don't care. Whatever suits you best, eh?"
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 05-31-2011 at 10:58.

The Prinz leaves the chamber.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

OOC,
    honestly, the only reason I recruited those troops is because the two players I was asking permission from were absent from the game at that time. I had gone a couple of turns trying to wait to get permission and simply missed my chance to move because they were not available to respond. I felt confident that given the players past acceptance and my relations with them that they would accept again so I just went through with it to keep the game moving. If the players had spoken up to deny permission I would have simply loaded the save and cancelled this action.

In any case though, I'm willing to play through it like this since their has already been IC debate, I just wanted you to know that I had meant that as an OOC decision with an assumption that the avatars had indeed given permission.

IC
    Well then Sir Margrave, I won't worry that I must defend your lands. But I may remind you that I did not even act criminally, I had already gained permission for the use of these recruitment facilities in the previous season, I was simply upholding formalities by asking once again for permission.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 05-31-2011 at 22:57.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

If the good Margrave and the Reichsmarschall could kindly put their decades-long yammering on hold for ten freaking minutes, I would greatly appreciate it. With this bloody echo in here being what it is you have assured all of us that future generations of Electors will be subject to hearing the ghosts of your arguments and insults. I can't hear myself think in here anyway as is!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

"As you wish, Kaiser. I shall go tend to my army then: I have a king to kill."

Theodericus leaves the Diet.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

Ah, silence. Right then.

*The Kaiser takes a look around the Diet and sees that a large amount of the benches are empty due to Electors being absent for various reasons*

SCRIBES! Record my words so that future generations may have access to my wisdom. Also, once the Electors get back, I want them to hear what I have to say.

Von Essen: The last I heard, war is dangerous. People die. Shocking, I know, but my immaculate combat record is not to be taken as the norm for aspiring commanders. You are also a noble. I don't know if you've noticed, but we have precious few of those in these parts these days. We need nobles to rule lands. You can do that and still be able to kill your enemies. So what say you?

Leopold: You get Zagreb once Bavaria has been established.

Margrave: Go kill that king, I may have something for you as well once you return with success.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Von Essen seems somewhat nonplussed at his Kaiser's casual reaction to his speech, as if he did not know his ruler well.

Yes, my Emperor. I wish only to slay the enemies of the Reich, as I have proven myself unfit for command or any task other than slaughter. What would you command me to do?
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

I would command you to stop thinking so lowly of yourself and recognize that people are capable of both killing people and ruling people. Or, barring that, I would command you to at the very least ignore these feelings and bottle them up and rule anyway.

As you wish. I had been planning to ride north to aid you against the Poles. Shall I continue on this path?

Ernst of Melk.

The Reichsmarschall aids the Kaiser and the Margrave against the Poles. Von Essen, with the Kaiser's leave you are required by the Prinz to march on Ragusa.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Indeed, I am already marching for the capitol now, and will soon have my army bolstered significantly by new recruits. I look forward to fighting at your side mein Kaiser.

Concerning the argument between myself and the good Margrave, I submit to your authority on the matter and will bow to whatever decision you make, only keep in mind that I acted as I thought was best for the Reich.

Jens Herden then turns to Von Essen

My good friend, you must not be so hard on yourself. Soldiers live to die, and the capture of Zagreb was a glorious day to die on. You should not be ashamed about this death, but instead rejoice that your skill as a commander gave this man the privilege of giving his life so that the Reich may live on. To throw away your own life would be the true crime, and the true waste.
    I adopted you because I saw in you the inner strength that belong to all nobles of the Reich, and now is the time for you to call upon that strength. Take your morning and turn it into righteous fury with which you may destroy the enemies of the Reich. March on Ragusa and sack it in the name of Von Magdeburg that his name may live on for the capture of not one, but two cities!
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

My skill as a commander? I am afraid you don't know the whole story, Reichsmarshall.It was my failures and not my skill that led to that tragedy.

On the subject of recruitment, I believe I granted recruitment rights over Innsbruck for the entire current term already, but just in case I say again. This term's Reichsmarshall is free to recruit anything he needs out of Innsbruck for the duration of his term or of my ownership of the castle, whichever ends first.

Ernst of Melk.

We trust, in light of this information, that the Margrave withdraws his unfounded objection to paying the Marschall's tax?

Friedrich von Eisler:

"It is neither unfounded nor withdrawn. To begin with, it was not only Innsbruck, but also Vienna. If permission had been given beforehand for both, the Reichmarschall would not have asked for permission after doing it, saying he'd abort it if he didn't get it. Then when challenged about it, he would not have given the answer that "times of crisis demands action". He would have said "I had already received permission", and it wouldn't have taken this long for me to hear about it first. This is why I have my doubts about von Essen's claims as well.

Even if you had, and you could prove it, and you could convince me that you're all so dimwitted that such an important point could just slip your mind for so long, it is absolutely clear from Herden's behaviour that, at the time, he did not believe that he had received permission to do it, but went ahead and did it anyway. So when he admitted that he feels completely justified in granting himself a special right to break the law, any law, whenever he wants, he wasn't lying. He's a criminal. Brandenburg-Bohemia doesn't associate with criminals. Brandenburg-Bohemia doesn't fund criminals. We have what you in the Osterreich seem to know only from distant stories: honour and principles."

Ernst of Melk is bemused.

Who is the victim of this "crime"?

The Margrave contorts himself into ever more absurd and uncomfortable positions in his attempts to deny reality...

A dangerous glint enters Elberhard's eyes.

"Claims"? I would urge you to reconsider who you accuse of lying, however roundabout a method you choose of doing it. I see little of this vaunted honor in Brandenburg-Bohemia. All I see is a bully who reverts to words rather than his blade, assuming if he complains loudly and frequently enough people will come to start believing his accusations.

"It's called principles, Ernst. Look it up in a dictionary if you don't know what that means."

Friedrich turns to Elberhard.

"I never accused anyone of lying, and the claim that the Margrave is acting like a bully is just ludicrous. If anyone of Brandenburg-Bohemia ever committed a crime, we wouldn't start acting as if we were persecuted little babies as soon as someone called us on it. It's pathetic, and you should be ashamed of yourself, accusing the Margrave of being a 'bully' just because he won't support criminals or criminality. If ever I sunk so low as to behave like you, I'd retire and never respect myself again."

Odd. You act like persecuted little babies the rest of the time, why not then? You scream and cry of injustice when none has been done. What Jens did was presumptuous, but you are not the victim in it, and the two nobles affected have settled it with him.

You, on the other hand, propose to violate Diet law by refusal to pay the tax, all the while whining and crying of wrongs done in order to provide a cloak of self righteousness around your own planned criminal act.

With a tired expression on his face, Friedrich waves Elberhard off.

"If all you've got are insults and attempted deflections, I don't know why I should bother with you. Perhaps you would better spend your time by learning the arts of war? Had you done so before, von Magdeburg might still have been alive."

Scum. You have no right to speak of von Magdeburg, and using his name in an attempt to avoid criticism over your declaration of intent to willfully break Diet law adds to the disgrace. So much for Brandenburg's vaunted "honor".

Calming himself, Elberhard gives Friederich one last dismissve look before turning towards the Diet.

Well, it seems that both my Duke and my Kaiser wish me to continue in a leadership role. If this weren't enough to convince me, certain sections of the Reich Elberhard looks pointedly towards the Margrave's Diet seat are rather lacking in their leadership. Therefore I will heed the command of the Emperor and continue in the duties to which I've been appointed.

I also humbly present myself to him for the position of Duke of Bavaria. Knowing our rulers preference for straightforward speech, my plan for the Duchy is thus:

1. I will appoint skilled advisors and listen to their counsel in the military and economic development of any provinces the Duchy may own. When possible, I will raise up nobles of the rank to countship over some of those provinces.

2. I will use the resources gained from step one to slay the enemies of the Reich wherever I may find them, while also tending to the Duchy's defense.

I believe this outline covers the "clear and concise" requirements, and will be happy to elaborate further if need be.

Jens Herden simply ignores the Margrave's latest comments, simply looking to the Kaiser as they are said. Herden then smiles as von Essen speaks and turns to face him.
    It's good to have you back von Essen!
    I'm glad you have put yourself forward, the Reich needs men such as you.

Ernst of Melk.

The Prinz sends word that he wholeheartedly supports the Count of Tyrol's application for the Duchy of Bavaria.

The Prinz has arrived.

I would like to petition the Reichsmarschall to ignore the request of Brandenburg-Bohemia for his aid until such a time as the Margrave of that territory withdraws his threat to renege on the mandated tax.

If he shall not pay for the Marschall's army then he should not benefit from it.

We of Osterreich have plenty need of the Reichsmarschall, as there are numerous Magyar armies encroaching on our territory and we are glad to pay the tax to support the recruitment and upkeep of his force.

I am not heading to Brandenburg Bohemia, but to Frankfurt to aid our Kaizer.

Friedrich von Eisler:

"And that's all that the Margrave ever asked from the Reichmarschall, besides staying within the confines of the law."

The Prinz, ignoring the man from Brandenburg.

My apologies to Count and Kaiser for the misunderstanding.

Ernst von Melk has received a missive from the Prinz.

Mein Kaiser, the Prinz, in siege at Milan, stolen from us by the Venetian cur, has received word that the Pope seeks to bar him from entering the city by Papal Bull.

He wishes to know your view as to whether he should ahem "kow tow to that loathsome and execrable hat fetishist or instead storm the walls and doing so shove my mailed fist.." Oh. Well your Imperial Majesty no doubt is able to correctly assess the tone from that extract.

What response should I give?

Jens Harden marches into the Throne room, covered in mud from his recent march with a furious look upon his face.

He looks around for the Margrave and his mood seems to lift slightly when it is clear that he is not in attendance before kneeling before the Kaiser.

My Kaiser,
    I come with news of treachery in our midst.
    The Margrave has explicitly threatened and denied the Reichsmarshall from entering his lands. This will lengthen my march to relieve the capitol by at least an entire season. As an agent of the Reich, this is tantamount to his declaring hostile intent towards the Reich itself, as well as delaying its defense. I demand that Theodericus be stripped of his title for this outrage.
    Time and again he has stood in the way of my defense of the Reich, every time testing the limits of what he can get away with, well no more! The position of Reichsmarshall exists solely for our defense, and yet Theodericus threatens me with violence!
    This time he has truly stepped over the line and entered into treachery against the Reich!

I also request permission from von Essen to once again use Innsbruck for recruitment, I will be recruiting
    Sergeant Spearmen (430)
    Peasant Archers (200)
    Mounted Sergeants (460)
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 06-10-2011 at 05:22.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast