Thread: Why do threads get closed so quickly?

I'm just wondering why the threads get closed so quickly.

Lately I haven't been able to get here every day, and even when I do, I find that threads that I'd like to post to are already closed!

The other problem is that as I live in Australia, these threads get opened, posted to and closed while I'm asleep. So anyone living in these sorts of timezones has no opportunity!!

Can we please let threads be open for a minimum of 24 hours?
    There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Closed.

(God I wish I was a mod, that joke would have worked so much better.)

------------------
    It's getting warm in here...that must be one hell of an INFERNO!
    It's getting warm in here...that must be one hell of an INFERNO

Kraellin: ROFL...sick, sick, sick...rofl...sick, sick, sick...ROFL. You should be banned, Inferno, but before you go, post a few more. lol

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Cos Soly's turned drunk with all his new found power.

And if thast doesn't get this tread closed i don't know what will.
    That's it.

I second what The Scourge said.

Yeah especially patch threads, they have a really short lifespan these days. I dont like it.

olaf

Quote Originally posted by The Scourge:
    Cos Soly's turned drunk with all his new found power.

And if thast doesn't get this tread closed i don't know what will.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree about Soly.

And Olaf, its because about 8 new ones show up a day instead of keeping it in one thread

Yes, closing of a thread should only be done when it's veered completely off topic, or has degenerated into a bunch of personal insults and flaming.

If you're bitching about bugs, bitching about the delays of the patch, bitching about your favorite design "flaw", it has every bit as much business on this board as some of the old timer nuts explaining exactly why the valour upgrades for peasants has ruined the game for them. There's a little too much asskissing with the devs in terms of topics that are allowed. Everyone, including the devs, is free to read or not read threads as they see fit. Quietly trying to shovel them under the carpet once a day isn't a solution because if there wasn't someone riled up about a given thing, there's be no posts on it.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

okay I'll ease up on the closing of threads, but we do have a limit on the number of posts, which is (at this time) way over. Overloading can cause the system to crash, and then all the threads will be deleted, not just some of them (and not just the ones in the MTW forum.)

In my defense, I only go after threads that are redundant. I always just close them and don't delete them so they can be read unless they're about piracy or totally flaming; Mod policy is to delete closed threads after two weeks to make sure everyone has read them. This sometimes looks like I'm targeting every new thread out there, but as someone pointed out, there's little need for 5 or 6 new threads a day about subjects like "This game gets boring!" when everyone could try to locate a similar thread to post on that can be referenced better.
    As for me being drunk with power...yeah, I really love having to go through the whole long process of posting notice and then closing threads just to see four or five show up again within the next two minutes

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 10-10-2002).]

Oh, and once a question is answered in depth, there's little point in keeping it open for people to SPAM on, so it gets closed, too.

No prob Soly. I've done what you're doing and won't ever do it again Moderating a forum is worse than babysitting a room full of 3 year olds.

Appreciate your leaving some threads open a little longer though.

Yeah, the moderator is trashing a lot of useful discussions just on a whim. It really is a detriment to the value of this board.

bif
    bif

-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. --

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

You think he is drunk with power... just wait till I can get back online with more regularity... talk about a sergeant-major power crazed mod... I'll whip your e-butts back into shape with the whip cracks of sarcasm.

Seriously these forums do have a maximum capacity of about 10k each so to be safe the mods have to keep the total between 7k-9k depending on posting rate. Why less then 10k... well we do have lives outside of MTW so we can't continously be here to make sure that the boards do not hemorrhages. If the limits are gone over the boards get shut down on us for an indefinite period by our hosts to stop us crashing their other customers.

So the more posts the less lifetime on average the posts can last. If 10k posts a day were posted then the life time is one day, 1k a day and the lot can last ten days in a single forum.

So to increase lifespan of useful posts the following are swept away as quickly as possible piracy, extreme anti-social behaviour (racist/sexist/facist/lemonist ), personel attacks, spam, repeating the same topic that is already open (first in best dressed is how I do my closing), or just plain at the end of the forum and the quota is catching up fast... and the last one happens at a speed faster then lint.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

so ur gonna close this post or not ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

not before I.....spem?
    Have you seen the fnords?

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Relax boys. Your mods really do have your best interest at heart. Soly is not drunk with power. He is quick on the close button (more quick than me for example) but that's just his style. I don't really think he's trying to cramp you guys. He has a real interest in keeping spam and double threads down.

I'll leave this thread open for 24 hours or so before I whip out my close button. Speak your peace now.

------------------
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Thanks, 24 hours is fine. Of course I agree that some would need to be closed earlier, but if there's nothing particularly offensive or whatever I think 24 hours is reasonable.
    There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Senior Member Senior Member The Scourge's Avatar

Ah Soly's alright,but it did rather did rather spoil my pesants into knights wind up
    I didn't get the punch line in.
    That's it.

Quote Originally posted by solypsist:
    okay I'll ease up on the closing of threads, but we do have a limit on the number of posts, which is (at this time) way over. Overloading can cause the system to crash, and then all the threads will be deleted, not just some of them (and not just the ones in the MTW forum.)

In my defense, I only go after threads that are redundant. I always just close them and don't delete them so they can be read unless they're about piracy or totally flaming; Mod policy is to delete closed threads after two weeks to make sure everyone has read them. This sometimes looks like I'm targeting every new thread out there, but as someone pointed out, there's little need for 5 or 6 new threads a day about subjects like "This game gets boring!" when everyone could try to locate a similar thread to post on that can be referenced better.
    As for me being drunk with power...yeah, I really love having to go through the whole long process of posting notice and then closing threads just to see four or five show up again within the next two minutes

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 10-10-2002).]
    [/QUOTE]

Sory Soly, Im just bitter about when you closed my "Most Hated Club" thread I understand why you do it, and dont have a problem with 99% of what you do close....but im still bitter bout that post

Shiro, theoretically with the below, can I say, "Go on, click me out, ***** ***," even though I don't mean a word of it?

QUOTE]Originally posted by Shiro:
    Relax boys. Your mods really do have your best interest at heart. Soly is not drunk with power. He is quick on the close button (more quick than me for example) but that's just his style. I don't really think he's trying to cramp you guys. He has a real interest in keeping spam and double threads down.

I'll leave this thread open for 24 hours or so before I whip out my close button. Speak your peace now.

[/QUOTE]

[edit]Edited words. No, you can't say that. - Soly

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 10-11-2002).]

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Thank heavens we got the quota increase approved,

This Forum's total poat count was previously 2,500 - meaning you guys would have seen a lot more aggressive closing and deleting,

but out host graciously approved a maximum of 7,000 for MTW
    (with an absolute max of 9,000 if needed.)

Just imagine if we still had the old Max limit!!!
    You'd have only 6 pages of topics, instead of 20 plus...
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

we're currently over 10 000 posts for MTW.
    listen up: expect some merciless pruning over the next 24 hours. Post redundant topics at your own risk.