Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: From the Ionian to the Indos: A Seleukid AAR

Default From the Ionian to the Indos: A Seleukid AAR

I'd better get this started. So this is my Seleukid AAR, not really the kind of immersive storytelling some people round here are really good at, but more of a reporting style. Played on rtw.exe, campaign difficulty is medium since hard or very hard would have this ending up in unrealistic thousand battles per turn parties. I'm not claiming this is gonna be realistic either, but at least it feels like it is.

Note that I'm not going to follow the woeful tides of history here, as that would have me ending up pretty dead, and more importantly, would require massive AI guidance. Instead I'll rely on Parthian strength, an early Tigranes, or who knows even some weird consul from the west to challenge my recreation of Alexandros' realm.

And yes, we're blue.

1. Our strategos needs an army

When the mists of time lift, we find ourselves in Syria, 272 BC.

Half a century after Alexandros' premature death, his lands are fragmented and none of the remaining diadochi is powerful enough to hold sway over the others. In Pella, the grandson of Antigonus Monophthalmus is kept busy by Gauls and Epeirotes, while in the south his power is being contested by the Chremonidean League. From Alexandreia, Ptolemaios' son reigns over the Neilos valley, and seems content to assert his control over the seas and ports of the eastern Mediterranean. Only those under the banner of Seleukos can pride themselves on their imperial possessions, the vast wealth of Asia, Syria, Mesopotamia, Persis and Baktra, all accumulated under the crown of Antiochos I.

In his tenth year of power, he has already lost supremacy over many peoples his father had united, such as the unruly Persian dynasties in northern Kappadokia, the Bithynians, the lands immediately west of the Indos, and the Pergamenes, who recently established themselves as a new power in the Aegean. In the east, nomads that go by the name of Pahlava have been making incursions into Astauene and Margiana, and the satrap of Baktria has been making numerous complains about the lack of Seleukid efforts to protect the local Greek communities.

But Antiochos' attention currently lies elsewhere, for even though the heart of the empire was in Babylon, its life-blood runs through Syria, and Ptolemaic rule over Phoinike and Ioudaia cannot be tolerated. If Antiochos allowed Ptolemaios to regain control over Syria Koile and perhaps even Antiocheia, the plains between Syria and Seleukeia would fall to him, as might even Seleukeia itself.

For this very reason, the basileus has sent over one of his most promising strategoi, Alexandros, to Syria, where he is assembling a Greek army. Syria is to be consolidated and the narrow land routes towards Aigyptos should be under Seleukid control.

Upon his arrival in Antiocheia in early 271 BC, Alexandros assumed control of an army comprising 10,000 phalangitai and 5,600 light infantry. Not being impressed by the men, he sent his forces into the rebellious province of Tadmor under command of Nikarchos, in order to assess their valour. Alexandros remained in Antiocheia to continue organizing his campaign.

The odds were firmly in our favour, but the brave Palmyrenoi didn't accept a peaceful settlement, so battle was done.

Nikarchos was nervous and split his troops in two, each half lining up on different sides of the town. The set-up was rather awkward and inefficient.

Chaos ensued when the Palmyrans and their cavalry stormed out from among the buildings.

But the sheer nature of the phalanx threw off the enemy.

Nikarchos had them surrounded and was relieved when the rout started.

The defenders fled into the city, and Nikarchos was forced to send his phalanxes in. After much pondering how he could safely manoeuvre through the narrow streets, he thinned the formation to nine men. This he reckoned was wide enough to maintain functionality but narrow enough to advance.

The phalanxes safely reached the central square. From two sides, the defenders were hemmed in, backs to the wall.

The reports of the victory at Palmyra were enough for Alexandros, although he knew that the well-trained Aigyptian armies would pose a different challenge than local Arab rebels would. Therefore, he raised another 9,000 phalangitai, 3,200 light infantry, which he augmented with a cavalry force counting 3,000 horses. When spring came the following year, he departed from Antiocheia towards Phoinike. His arrival commenced the First Syrian War.

===

So far for today, this was really a teaser. The campaign will get far more epic as time proceeds.

Got soul but I'm not a soldier Member Socy's Avatar

Default Re: From the Ionian to the Indos: A Seleukid AAR

Many Seleukid AAR's out there right now (To me it seems, atleast), wich is a good thing! .
    Like your writing style and the way you exaggerate the manpower in the units to make it more historical. And, I love the change of colours you made, though, I'll have to say that the Seleukids doesn't look as intimidating without their Silver/Gray stratmap colour .

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

I heartily approve of the new colours, though I would since I stole your idea of gold for the Ptolemies.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Good start, and nice pics. And despite what you say, you actually do pretty well in the roleplay department, about as much as most of the other AARs. I also like the armies X 100 thing, adds to the realism.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 06-28-2008 at 00:35.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: From the Ionian to the Indos: A Seleukid AAR

Cool AAR, Sarissamaster.

Default Re: AW: From the Ionian to the Indos: A Seleukid AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Socy View Post
    I'll have to say that the Seleukids doesn't look as intimidating without their Silver/Gray stratmap colour .
    I'll make sure you've changed your mind by the time when I've accomplished the title of this AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I heartily approve of the new colours, though I would since I stole your idea of gold for the Ptolemies.
    Disadvantage with the grey was definitely the difficulty to see how empty or full a stack was. I first tried a darker grey, but that made it too depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27 View Post
    Good start, and nice pics. And despite what you say, you actually do pretty well in the roleplay department, about as much as most of the other AARs. I also like the armies X 100 thing, adds to the realism.
    Thanks for that! Actually, the armies are only 10x (huge unit size), which is Quintus' idea. So eight units of phalanxes makes about 20,000 phalangitai, which is perhaps too large to keep as a permanent force. I'd have to look up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    Cool AAR, Sarissamaster.
    Don't mock me now!

2. Ptolemaios fails his subjects

Alexandros had barely left Antiocheia when a messenger reached Antiochos.

Ah, such is the fate of the true Seleukid king! Advance west, and the east will betray you. Antiochos, underestimating the clout of the Pahlavan hordes, did not inform Alexandros of the renewed threat and apathetically beheld the genesis of the Parthian Empire (winter 271 BC), relying on the strength of the fortifications in Media and Elymais to hold them out of the Seleukid heartlands.

Meanwhile in Syria, Alexandros marched his army into Phoinike, where he found little resistance. Aware of his advantage in time, he ordered an assault on the somewhat surprised Ptolemaic garrison in Sidon.

The Seleukid phalanx.

Versus:

The Ptolemaic phalanx.

With Sidon captured in a rather pompous style, Phoinike revolted from Ptolemaic rule and was placed under Seleukid protection. Its people were allowed considerable autonomy during Antiochos' reign, but the bonds with Seleukeia would be tightened considerably by his successors.

After this military non-event, Alexandros expected a fierce counter-offensive from Ptolemaios. Having called in garrison troops from the north, he left the city before winter and pitched camp twenty miles east of Tyros. But came spring 269 BC, not a single movement was seen. Believing Ptolemaios not crafty enough to scheme an ambuscade, Alexandros ordered the advance into Ioudaia. His spies ascertained him of a free passage towards the fortified city of Hierosolyma, where a medium-sized garrison was bracing itself for battle. He didn't hesitate and laid siege to it.

Several months into the siege, Alexandros made a first attempt to assault, but although the Aigyptian garrison troops were only lightly armed and few of number compared to the Seleukid army, the attack was insuccessful due to the strong Jewish support for Ptolemaios, who had so far been rather tolerant towards them. Fearing a change of regime would not benefit their people, Jewish regiments amplified the garrison, and forced Alexandros to withdraw the assault.

The siege was maintained, and the few opportunities that arose to retry an attack were thwarted by disease in the army or by the many sandstorms which afflict the Ioudaian countryside. It took until the end of the following year for the city to recognize its fate and surrender. Alexandros could finally enter Hierosolyma at the onset of winter 268 BC. He showed no mercy towards those loyal to Ptolemaios, and a Greek ruler was installed, ending years of relative Jewish autonomy. Later, the increasing burden of hellenization decreed by Antiochos' successors would greatly stir up trouble in these parts.

It was then that news reached Alexandros about the civil revolt in Aigyptos, explaining the lacklustre resistance thusfar. On top of that, Ptolemaios' half-brother Magas had strengthened his position in Kyrene, and had gone into negotiations with Antiochos over a possible invasion of Aigyptos. However, Alexandros was ordered to march north, repelling minor raids the local Ptolemaic forces had been making from Kilikia into Syria. It is here that Antiochos made the mistake of not using this unique opportunity to end Ptolemaios' ambitions. Then again, his forces were not particularly strong, and still inexperienced despite their commander's successes. Moreover, advancing into Aigyptos would further stretch his already thin military and political strength over lands even more difficult to hold.

Thus, after organizing a garrison force for Ioudaia, Alexandros turned north, first taking a number of rebellious towns on the Sea of Galilee, then quenching a revolt in Phoenicia, which occurred after the Ptolemaic fleets had been blockading their ports. He arrived back in Antiocheia in the summer of 266 BC, where he rested his army and supplied them with better armour.

===

Next: more military non-events in Asia minor.

great aar and i hope to see more of the parthian invasion.

also i like the colour change i looks better with a royal blue

Quote Originally Posted by Happy balroae View Post
    great aar and i hope to see more of the parthian invasion.

also i like the colour change i looks better with a royal blue
    Thanks! I have great plans for the Pahlava, but the eastern theatre will only open up at around 240 BC. First, some more stuff in the west.

Hey! This is really excellent stuff so far! That Ptolemaic phalanx looks ferocious indeed, how did you ever stand up to it? ;) I'll definitely keep reading this one!

They Came From the East: A Saka Rauka AAR Check it out! Updated 8/26

Quote Originally Posted by divulse123 View Post
    Hey! This is really excellent stuff so far! That Ptolemaic phalanx looks ferocious indeed, how did you ever stand up to it? ;) I'll definitely keep reading this one!
    Thanks! Ptolemaios hasn't done much really, so far. I'll need to give him some time to organize a proper army.

3. Consolidation towards Ptolemaios

The last snow of the year had barely thawed when Alexandros once again set out from Antiocheia. The campaign in Ioudaia had turned his army into a more disciplined force, loyal to their charismatic commander. Alexandros, too, at age 27, had learnt the ways of warfare, though he had yet to face a real opposition. He would not see this in Anatolia, although the rugged terrain would sometimes pose a challenge to manoeuvre his phalanx across.

The coastal cities of Kilikia were not very well defended. The Ptolemaioi were embroiled in conflict with Makedonia, in addition to their internal problems, and their position as naval power was challenged by Antigonos, Antiochos' most important ally in the west. Unable to land a force of relief troops, Ptolemaios was forced to watch how the garrison at Tarsos surrendered to Alexandros without a fight. The conqueror was welcomed in the city, and the Kilikians were treated with respect. The Aigyptians had tried to set fire to the small fleet which was anchored in the port, but the Syrians managed to capture most ships undamaged. They were sold to Magas of Kyrene, who was having a hard time defending the coastal cities of Marmarike he had conquered.

Roughly at the same time when Alexandros entered Kilikia, the Parthians overran Khoarene. Dozens of cities were burnt to the ground and many Apameian Greeks slaughtered. Antiochos' satraps and allies in the east began to show their discontent, and demanded action be taken against the nomads. Already had Sogdiana and Alexandreia-Eschate sought protection of the Baktrian satrap Theodotos, whose power was growing steadily. Even the basileus' closest entourage advised him not to wait until Phriapatius, the Parthian king, marched his armies into Babylonia.

Yet Antiochos stoutly maintained that the strong garrisons of Media would halt the Parthian advance. To affirm his decision, he sent his heir Theodoros to Ekbatana and put him in charge of its forces.

The campaign in Anatolia was such a success that Antiochos felt overconfident. In early 263 BC, Alexandros advanced westwards through Pamphylia, where the cities fell to him one by one with nothing more than skirmishes occurring once in a while. The only serious challenge was made by Side, but those willing to fight were at best lightly armed, if numerous.

A scenic shot, showing the mountains of Lykia in the background.

Almost no casualties on Seleukid side. (I'm not reporting more here since that would make it a bit too humorous.)

The campaign continued even though most Aigyptians in Anatolia had been either driven back into the sea or sent to Hades. Alexandros made a destructive march through Lykia and Karia, visiting a severe punishment upon those who had given Ptolemaios access to their ports and supplied the Aigyptian fleet. The Karians at first resisted, but were compelled to surrender before the winter of 260 BC. Their country was made a client state of the Arche Seleukeia.

But before Alexandros entered Halikarnassos, Antiochos I died.

His son and heir Theodoros ascended to the throne of the earth's mightiest empire. He immediately left for Seleukeia, leaving the Median garrison to an inexperienced general.

Greeks and natives alike mourned the passing of Seleukos' son, or at least, appeared to do so. Theodotos sent condolences from Baktra to Seleukeia, as did the Armenian satrap, but neither seemed inclined to accept the new leader without trying their chances. Ptolemaios, too, made use of the situation to sue for peace, which Theodoros was quick to agree to.

An end to the fighting, for now.

===

Next up: Theodoros goes to war to change the face of Hellas.

How did you get the Ptolemies to agree to a ceasefire? Force Diplomacy?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

How did you get the Ptolemies to agree to a ceasefire? Force Diplomacy?
    Yes. They'd continue sending stacks of nothing into Ioudaia, and I've got better things to do than fighting those now. Besides, they've been in real trouble for the entire game, and I want them to concentrate on uniting Aigyptos. The peace didn't last that long, though. They keep blockading my ports every now and then. I guess I should destroy their navies to restore their economic balance a little.

Bizarre, in my game no one seems to have any navies. At most they're one fleet or a single stack of fleets.

Bizarre, in my game no one seems to have any navies. At most they're one fleet or a single stack of fleets.
    All pirate fleets seem stuck in the Red Sea or the Baltic in my game, so there's no one for them to fight. Carthage, on the other hand, is actively building a large navy. I think I saw them having six or seven fleets, and the Romans are trying to catch up. Very weird, actually, they never do that when I'm Rome.

You could always move some of those pirate fleets...

4. Different lords, different laws.

Theodoros was very unlike his father. Pursuing an aggressive interventionist policy, he was not content with minor gains such as those of Alexandros' campaigns, and was keen on demonstrating Seleukid might before friend and foe alike, both east and west.

He recalled Alexandros to Antiocheia, but passing through central Anatolia his sole competent commander was delayed considerably, having to deal with disorder in Phrygia and an uprising of Galatians. These Gauls, who had previously been defeated by Antiochos in 278 BC, were formally under Seleukid control, but de facto independent. Alexandros managed to restore his king's authority, and could prevent another armed conflict in the region.

The eastern Mediterranean in 256 BC. Magas of Kyrene was dead and his lands were annexed by Ptolemaios.

The Parthian threat had been the first thing on Theodoros' mind, but circumstance overturned the order of events. Soon after Alexandros arrived back in Antiocheia, Korinthos overthrew Makedonian rule and a number of Aegean islands reverted back to Ptolemaios Philadelphos. His kingdom in crisis, Antigonos called upon his ally in Seleukeia for aid against Alexandros of Epeiros. The Epeirotes had captured Pella and controlled the ports and trade routes in the northern Aegean all the way up to Byzantion, a feat they had accomplished with help from their Aigyptian allies.

Theodoros made use of this excellent opportunity to extend his power across the Aegean, and openly declared his intentions towards Alexandros of Epeiros. Unable to refuse aid to his ally, Ptolemaios stepped into the open pitfall and invaded Ioudaia, starting the brief Second Syrian War in 254 BC. Despite the predictability of this move, Alexandros did not make it in time to relieve the siege of Hierosolyma, and the garrison was attacked.

The attacking forces, however, were pitiful as ever.

Contrastingly, the defenders were capable men. Some contingents of Jewish spearmen had joined them, but most of the natives were not keen on fighting their former master.

The Aigyptian forces were already strongly reduced even before the assault had properly started.

Those few who managed to get up the walls were quickly pushed off again.

Even the use of magic walking ladders (!) didn't sway the battle to their advantage.

It was over before too long.

At the same time, however, Ptolemaios exploited the lack of Seleukid military presence to annex the Sinai. Whether this was in his advantage is questionable, though, as it greatly stirred up the various Semitic tribes of the Arabian peninsula, and would permanently damage Ptolemaios' position east of the Red Sea.

Then Alexandros arrived. Ptolemaios, alarmed by the military strength displayed, retreated back towards Aigyptos, but his rear guard was caught by the Syrians. A battle ensued in the desert of the Sinai.

The Aigyptians were doomed from the start.

Despite the raging sandstorm, Alexandros advanced confidently.

He dispatched his scouts to find out that the enemy had positioned atop a hill.

Alexandros waited for the skies to clear for the enemy to get a full grasp of his military weight. Intimidation is an important element in battle.

Then he advanced.

The skirmishers ran from the phalanxes.

By the time the lines collided, the storm had set on again.

The Aigyptians were surrounded,

routed,

and defeated.

Alexandros continued the chase and slew two of Ptolemaios' most important generals, including his heir, Ptolemaios Euergetes, landing Aigyptos into another crisis that would bring it to the brink of destruction.

So close to his death, this might have been Ptolemaios' last endeavour to forge a memorable legacy. Theodoros, however, was generous and agreed to a truce, ending the Second Syrian War and giving himself free rein to redraw the political map of Hellas.

===

Next: Across the Bosporos.

5. Byzantion

After ousting Ptolemaios from the Sinai, Theodoros brought the tribes all the way up to the south of the Arabian peninsula into the Syrian sphere of influence, and forged a lasting alliance with them. In exchange for garrisoning the Sinai against Ptolemaic intrusion, the Arabians were granted freedom and independence.

The southern borders safeguarded, the basileus wasted little time and travelled to Syria where he personally took command of Alexandros' weathered veterans. By the summer of 251 BC, all preparations for the campaign were done, and Theodoros set out. Ptolemaios still holding sway over the seas, his route would go over land, through the Kilikian gate, Galatia, and Bithynia. Although there was no love lost between the Bithynian king and the Syrians, the former guaranteed a safe passage through his lands, for he had no means to resist a possible Seleukid attack should he refuse. Theodoros wintered northeast of Nikaia in 250 BC and crossed the Bosporos as soon as weather and Makedonian naval assistance permitted.

Alexandros Aiakides had had time aplenty to organize his forces, but instead of going to meet the Seleukids himself he had sent his nephew Pyrrichos in charge of the royal Epeirote army, which was comprised of about 34,000 well-trained men. On top of that, Pyrrichos had managed to mobilize a force of almost 40,000 lightly armed Thrakians to aid his cause, making a total of 75,000. Theodoros, though numerically far inferior, commanded an extremely loyal and experienced force of 27,000 infantry, and a cavalry wing of 5,000 under command of Demophon, one of the basileus' closest companions.

The two forces met towards the end of spring 249 BC, to the southeast of Byzantion. The outcome of the battle would shape the fate of the Aegean.

Theodoros lined up his phalanx on a narrow tract of land close to the Bosporos. Only superior arms would manage to outflank him.

Pyrrichos came from the southwest.

The Thrakians came from the northwest.

The enemy was too numerous for the Seleukid slingers to make any real difference.

Demophon started to fight for the flanks. The ability to outflank the numerous Thrakian troops was crucial today.

Hippakontistai kept the Epeirote skirmishers busy on the Seleukid right.

Demophon dispersed a unit of Prodromoi.

Not many of Pyrrhos' elephants were left after the wars with Makedonia.

Meanwhile the lines clashed.

Some of the Thrakians lost spirit as their flanks were harrassed.

But the Epeirote thorakitai and phalangitai continued steadily.

Theodoros, behind enemy lines, was caught in a second wave of Thrakians, but escaped in time, losing ten men.

The onslaught was relentless. Almost an hour into the battle, the Syrian phalangitai faced fresh Thrakians.

But by this time, the flanks were won, and the Epeirotes were slowly enveloped.

About time, for the Seleukid centre started to succumb to the stress.

Demophon's cavalry now had free rein to mop up routers.

Pyrrichos threw his weight into the battle and charged some of the flankers on the right.

Some fled the horrors of the now two-hour-long battle.

But Pyrrichos was surrounded...

...and slain.

Theodoros rode victoriously across European soil.

The carnage had been massive.

But victory alike.

Only 7,000-odd Epeirotes lived to tell their king. Theodoros had only lost 6,500 men.

The battle of Byzantion would remain a milestone in Seleukid history. It ushered in an era of intervention in Aegean politics. King Alexandros was on his knees and accepted Theodoros' terms. Peace was settled between Epeiros and the Arche Seleukeia on condition that Alexandros forfeited his alliance with Ptolemaios, as well as his every claim on the Makedonian throne and country. Theodoros was given control of Chersonesos Thraikia and the Bosporos while Antigonos reclaimed Pella. Epeiros would never recover.

===

This was really such an epic battle, it took me 2,5 hours real-time. Next up will be the adventures of our old familiar Alexandros in Parthia.

What a battle!!!!On which difficulty do you play battles?Oh yes good AAR!!

Quote Originally Posted by hrrypttrbst View Post
    What a battle!!!!On which difficulty do you play battles?Oh yes good AAR!!
    Thank ye! EB is designed for Medium battle difficulty, so I stick to that.

I think that kind of win-margin while outnumbered so comprehensively is only possible with a phalanx army on the defensive. Not that it makes it any less impressive a feat, mind! That was one hell of a battle.

I think that kind of win-margin while outnumbered so comprehensively is only possible with a phalanx army on the defensive. Not that it makes it any less impressive a feat, mind! That was one hell of a battle.
    Despite me being the attacker, I just had to sit and wait for the Epeirotes to come at me. That made half of my victory. The other half was made out of the fact that there was no "royal Epeirote army" at all. That was just role-played. In fact their troops consisted out of 80% Thrakian light spearmen (who have 1 point of armour), with some thorakitai, two levy phalanxes, and a host of skirmishers. Any army consisting out of decently armoured troops could have won this, I think. But you are right in that with non-phalanx units, the losses would have been bigger at my side.

But then again, the heirs of Seleukos have the right to field that many phalangitai, as long as they find loyal men. I may be fighting with non-phalanx armies, too, later in the campaign, when the number of Greeks to fill the ranks have dwindled too much. Or I may not .

again great aar and im looking forward to seeing the parthians in battle (i have never played a campaign in the east)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy balroae View Post
    again great aar and im looking forward to seeing the parthians in battle (i have never played a campaign in the east)
    No sane human looks forward to seeing Parthians in battle! Nightmare!

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Now that's a battle for the history books.

Man, one of your phalangite units suffered almost 90% casualties and didn't break... that's incredible! Were they the men holding the centre?

how did you enlarge the units to 10x normal? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Now that's a battle for the history books.

Man, one of your phalangite units suffered almost 90% casualties and didn't break... that's incredible! Were they the men holding the centre?
    Yeah, those were the ones in the very centre, suffering the bulk of the attack. But to my experience, even levy phalangites will stand their ground when their flanks are secure, until they're forced to abandon the phalanx formation. Therefore, guarding the flanks is even more important for phalanx-based armies than it is for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkkiller View Post
    how did you enlarge the units to 10x normal? ...
    I didn't. I play on huge unit size (if that's your question, you can change that in your graphics options menu), but for role-playing, I multiply them by ten when telling about it.

ok thx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast