Thread: A rant against Texas

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default A rant against Texas

I love food, in fact I consume it at least 3 times a day but to be more specific I love ethnic food for the simple fact that everything we eat in Texas is stolen from other people and then made better because of our superior jeans. However moving away from San Antonio has taught me one thing. I was spoiled when it came to my favorite ethnic food, Mexican. I now live in a city where everything is a burrito. these philistines have never heard of tortas or mole or chorizo or barbacoa. Mexican food to them consists of

-flour tortillas
    -Ground beef
    -Guac
    -Cheese
    -Sour Cream

Then if that wasn't enough of a kick in the balls the B-B-Q here (outside of 1 place) is nowhere where near as good as San Antons. So I move up to a city filled with cowboys and they can even get their cuisne right

On the plus side the steakhouses are better and in my first two weeks of college I have consumed more alchol than in the rest of my years put together....oh and the girls there nice

Whats yalls favorite food?
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 09-06-2008 at 19:24.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: A rant against Texas

and then made better because of our superior jeans.
    Levis?

On the plus side the steakhouses are better and in my first two weeks of college I have consumed more alchol than in the rest of my years put together....oh and the girls there nice
    there ya go, that is what it is about - man I miss it now ive finished, I just have to drink and get girls outside of that environment now - SUX!
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Levis?
    Fiber is good for you, don'tcha know!
    This space intentionally left blank

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : A rant against Texas

I miss mummy's food!

On the plus side the steakhouses are better and in my first two weeks of college I have consumed more alcohol than in the rest of my years put together....oh and the girls they're nice.
    Come on, be a champ. Whip some hot college chicks into the kitchen to bake you a great meal afterwards. All your problems solved.

Obviously, just like you, I couldn't go a day without the blessings of barbequed meat drowned in some hot sauce or another.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

I think your missing a valueble lesson here SFTS. You don't need chorizo's, barbacao, tortas or mole when you have plenty of girls and beer.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

Italian is my favorite food. My grandma pretty much taught me how to cook great food so I can make it wherever I live.

BTW, strike, my econ 351 professor taught at Texas Tech for a while... he said Lubbock is in the middle of no where.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

If I had a choice for a last meal...it would have to be scrapple with fried eggs, ketchup and horseradish, rye toast and a cup of coffee.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nothing like pan-fried pork offal mixed with cornmeal.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Come on, be a champ. Whip some hot college chicks into the kitchen to bake you a great meal afterwards. All your problems solved.

Obviously, just like you, I couldn't go a day without the blessings of barbequed meat drowned in some hot sauce or another.
    My mummy doesn't cook mexican lol. The girls are nice to fool with but I really haven't found one I can stand to be around when the skirt goes past her knee

Quote Originally Posted by Kush View Post
    Italian is my favorite food. My grandma pretty much taught me how to cook great food so I can make it wherever I live.

BTW, strike, my econ 351 professor taught at Texas Tech for a while... he said Lubbock is in the middle of no where.
    There are only two things to do in lubbock

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    There are only two things to do in lubbock
    When is cotton harvest season? I hear you can ski through the streets during that.

San Antonio does have good food though. When you go home for Christmas, you need to get a hook up with a Mexican chick, then grill her mom on how to cook properly. That might keep you going through school. You should also be able to get huge batches of authentic tamales (there are some places in Austin that do this, I would imagine San An has even more), freeze them, and break them out occasionally.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

I love food, in fact I consume it at least 3 times a day but to be more specific I love ethnic food for the simple fact that everything we eat in Texas is stolen from other people and then made better because of our superior jeans. However moving away from San Antonio has taught me one thing. I was spoiled when it came to my favorite ethnic food, Mexican. I now live in a city where everything is a burrito. these philistines have never heard of tortas or mole or chorizo or barbacoa. Mexican food to them consists of

-flour tortillas
    -Ground beef
    -Guac
    -Cheese
    -Sour Cream

Then if that wasn't enough of a kick in the balls the B-B-Q here (outside of 1 place) is nowhere where near as good as San Antons. So I move up to a city filled with cowboys and they can even get their cuisne right

That because your back in gringo land. Now since your in Lubbock just make your way across into New Mexico and you might find some really good local food that makes the stuff in San Antonio look like crap. Some of the Navajo influenced dishes are really good.

Couple of really good restraunts that look like dives, are somewhat close to Lubbock, you just have to stay away from the Gringo sounding ones.

If they serve tomato sauce as a hot sauce run - its been gringoized.

Oh and San Antonio BBQ really sucks badly.

You got to go down to Gonzales and Luing to get really good mesquite deep pit BBQ, Now Mempis, TN has some of the best ribs in the country
    Last edited by Redleg; 09-07-2008 at 06:30.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Favourite foods? More like favourite dinner (I'll do favourite breakfast and lunch when I have time!):

Appetizer: Puntillitas, sturgeon caviar on the side
    Salad: Green salad with red onion, sundried tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, and a balsamic viniagrette
    Soup (thick): Goulash
    Soup (thin): Borscht, just how my mother makes it (yes, it can be thin - the broth is delicious)
    Pasta: Fettuccini in a cheese garlic sauce (my recipe)

Meat

Subcategories of meat (because it's so tasty)

Poultry: Quail, lightly seasoned and tender, eggs on the side
    Fish: Pan-seared salmon fillet in a maple almond glaze
    Red Meat: BBQ pork or beef ribs, marinated and grilled with wood smoke (neat trick - if you boil the beef ribs for an hour or two, and then marinate and slap them on the grill, you get excellent ribs in less time - and a soup stock!)

Dessert: Fresh raspberry sorbet with mint
    Cheese: Layered mozzarella and tomato, drizzled with olive oil. Excellent appetizer or antipasto. For the purists, a cheese platter with an assortment of crusty breads as well red and white wines should suffice.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 09-07-2008 at 07:10.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I love food, in fact I consume it at least 3 times a day but to be more specific I love ethnic food for the simple fact that everything we eat in Texas is stolen from other people and then made better because of our superior jeans. However moving away from San Antonio has taught me one thing. I was spoiled when it came to my favorite ethnic food, Mexican.
    You haven't lived until you try Honduran frijolitos and fried plantains.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae View Post
    You haven't lived until you try Honduran frijolitos and fried plantains.
    Amen.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

What is ethnic food?

Anyway, of course my favourite has to be meat. Or, as Dylan Moran put it: If it has a face I'll eat it.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius View Post
    What is ethnic food?
    It is food with grain alchohol as an additive. Which explains why some ethnic foods give you gas.

Oh, and on topic: shrimp/prawns, filet mignon and good pizza are at the top of my food list.
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 09-07-2008 at 20:11.
    This space intentionally left blank

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

No way could I have a favorite food. I guess when it comes to the one I know best about -- cheeseburgers -- I gotta pull for the North Carolina all-the-way burger: topped with homemade chili and mayo slaw, and grilled onions and mustard (not much mustard; you don't want to bury the other flavors.) Done right, it is the best burger in the world, no exceptions.

Speaking of which, if you ever happen to find yourself in Winston-Salem, North Carolina (god forbid you should, but if you do) stop by "Mr. Barbecue" on Peters Creek Parkway. They serve the best all-the-way burger I have ever had. It's the one thing I look forward to when I visit my hometown.

Well, that and my parents.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Indian food by far, nothing beats a good curry. Mediterarian comes second. Speaking of which, was in Spain a few weeks ago, getting arrested by the guarda-civil was bad, but paella was good, the flavor was so strong I could barely take it, nothing like the washed out crap we have here, any spaniards that could give me a recepi?

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Indian food by far, nothing beats a good curry. M
    You Euro guys are always going on about the curry, I wish I knew of a place to try it!

My favorite is definitely steak with lots of salt and pepper and maybe some mushrooms. An easy second is pizza (with loads of meat) and then Mexican, which surprisingly we have a lot of variety of in MI. must be some of the migrant workers have left behind some family recipes. I also really like sushi and soft shell crab. And don’t even get me started on desert!

Although I have my favorites I really like trying out new foods, if I go to a restaurant and they have a “special” I will give it a swing. I had pears filled with scallops the other day and duck filled chili peppers for lunch today. both I give thumbs up to but not way up if you know what I mean.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Whats wrong Strike? Most colleges have a Taco Bell outside the gates!!!
    RIP Tosa

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Lately I have acquired a taste for chili pots/stew. Any good Texan recipes?

My current chili consists of:
    Ground meat
    Fresh Onion
    Fresh Garlic
    Chopped fresh green chili
    Chopped fresh red chili
    Chili beans
    Kidney beans
    Tomato beans (filtered through a strainer)
    Corn
    Chopped tomatoes from a can
    Whole and skinned tomatoes.
    Chili powder
    Cumin
    Cayenne pepper.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 09-09-2008 at 21:34. Reason: forgot about the onion
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Whats wrong Strike? Most colleges have a Taco Bell outside the gates!!!

Actually, I would feel lucky to have a Taco Bell right outside my college. All we have is McDonalds, that most accursed of Fast Food restaurants.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 09-09-2008 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane View Post
    Lately I have acquired a taste for chili pots/stew. Any good Texan recipes?

My current chili consists of:
    Ground meat
    Chopped green chili
    Chopped red chili
    Chili beans
    Kidney beans
    Tomato beans (filtered through a strainer)
    Corn
    Chopped tomatoes from a can
    Whole and skinned tomatoes.
    Chili powder
    Cumin
    Cayenne pepper.
    I tried this for the first time when I came out here. It was at a restaurant so I cant attest to the recipe being exact but they did call it "Texas buffalo chili" On a side note it was the first time I ever had buffalo. How hard is buffalo to get in Norway?
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ili43420.shtml

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I tried this for the first time when I came out here. It was at a restaurant so I cant attest to the recipe being exact but they did call it "Texas buffalo chili" On a side note it was the first time I ever had buffalo. How hard is buffalo to get in Norway?
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ili43420.shtml
    Buffalo or Bison would be hard to get.
    But this would be close right?
    Status Emeritus

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

BBQ and Mexican food are both nasty in my opinion. I'm in the wrong city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane View Post
    Buffalo or Bison would be hard to get.
    But this would be close right?
    That thing's face is beyond frightening.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Indian food by far, nothing beats a good curry.
    Yep. Especially when eaten using your hands. Lets you really feel the texture.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic View Post
    Yep. Especially when eaten using your hands. Lets you really feel the texture.
    Hell yes.