Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Concert of Europe

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: Concert of Europe

I'll have my orders in tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get my orders in tomarrow morning

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Emperor Franz The Backstabber.

We know your intentions, we have been informed that you are willing to sell ammunition and gunpower to let Egypt rebel from our Empire. How can you promote revolution? We did nothing against you. This is SHAMEFUL . Your claims of being good are as false as a sand sun. This will lead to actions against your nation, and beware!

How can a nation that is fighting against rebelion promotes it? They write with their hands what they erase with their elbows...

Your nation doesn't deserve to exist anymore. You are annoying the rest of the world, and therefore, you must be erased in order to keep the peace. Peace that you don't want to last longer.

The Sultan

Sultan,

It is funny how you requested my Nation to Attack The Russian Empire in return for Grains. Is your Nation to weak to do the job yourself, infidel?

Emperor Franz I

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

To all:

War gives you a couple of options:

1) You can lead your army by yourself! This has some obvious pros and cons. Winning, it boosts your reputaton, loosing - well, might even cost your life. Plus, you cannot rule in your capitol.

2) You chose a gifted general. I want to try something new - although it may fail. You can chose any member of the Guild as commander of your troops. Of course he was to be willing and ready. Time is an issue!! Then he will do all he detail planning and commanding!

3) Just play AI. I will do the rest!

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Concert of Europe

Intersting Indeed! I get my decsions in the next 1-2 hours Franconius

Blog Entries

Decsions sent, I be back Tuesday.

The Tsar must condemn both sides of the Austrian Ottomen exhange. Have we not seen enough carnage and destruction to understand the danger of revoloutions. Let us instead learn from our past mistakes and not let the world slide into the abyess of war again.

Tsar Alexander I
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

France is still missing!

Blog Entries

Nooooooooooo! Come on maki!

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My apologies, everyone. I'll try to get a decent round of orders in within the next couple days. After that, I'm going to have to withdraw from this game. Sorry for the inconveniences caused.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Blog Entries

That's ok Sei, hope you be ok

Can I be France, then?

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

are there any minor spots for a small country open?
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Blog Entries

Maybe Fran could add a small nation like the Swiss or Sardina or a small German State for Tiberius

I'll try to get a decent round of orders in within the next couple days.
    Great!
    After that, I'm going to have to withdraw from this game. Sorry for the inconveniences caused.

Can I be France, then?
    Sure! Maybe you can get a briefing from your presuccessor!

are there any minor spots for a small country open?
    What about Sardinia/Piemont?

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I would also like to join, but if theres no room just put me next in line if anyone else drops out.

Blog Entries

Put The Swiss in

If you want the Swiss in, why not the Leictensteiners, hmmm???

Can I be the Kingdom of Hannover? I know I would be in personal union with the United Kingdom, but im really only looking for a small country right now.
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Chapter 3 – June 1817

It is cold – incredible cold. People in many provinces do not have enough to eat. Livestock has to be reduced, due to the lack of forage. Corn price goes up fifty percent, at least. In Northern Austria, Bavaria, Württemberg and parts of France the corn rate is five times as high as last year. And still there is not enough to buy. Some governments try to ease the burdens for their subjects, but in the end their action are little effective.
    Many poor do not have any other option than to pray to God. In June 1817, these prayers are answered and the sun returns, even in the Alpine countries snow is melting. The Rhine and the Danube is swelling and the residents are beleaguered by another natural disaster.

England suffers little from the cold spell, though. There is enough to eat, but prices go up, nevertheless. Some big farmers make good profit this year; others suffer from the high rates.

The King’s government is confronted with demonstrations of unsatisfied from Ireland. They blame the crown that it treats Ireland as if it was a colony. They demand equal rights for Catholics, an independent Irish parliament with the same rights as the one in England, control over the taxes and budgets as well as Irish judges, officers in navy, army and administration, and an equal number of Irish ministers in the government.

The English economy manages to change from wartime to peacetime mode. Orders from the navy as well as new trade routes to the continent boost the heavy industry and the textile industry. Tax revenue increases as well.

The crown recruits new soldiers for oversea activities: England increases her military presence in America and India.

The English navy executes operations against the Barbary pirates and slave traders, based on the coasts of Morocco and Algeria, which attacked ships and coastal settlements in the Mediterranean and North Atlantic and captured and traded slaves from Europe and sub-Saharan Africa.

A first expedition under the command of Admiral David Milne heads for Tangier. Milne finds the entrance of the harbor blocked by three US frigates. He orders the American sailors to leave the area, but the American commander points at the American-Moroccan treaty of friendship and refuses to leave the waters. Admiral Milne does not dare to precipitate a crisis with the United States. He decides to return to England and to ask for orders for the new situation.

Admiral Lord Exmouth gathers a second squadron of five ships of the line, one 50-gun ship and four frigates at Gibraltar. HMS Queen Charlotte, 100 guns, is the flagship of this expedition force with destination Algiers. This squadron is considered by many to be an insufficient force, but Exmouth has already surveyed the defenses of Algiers unobtrusively, he is very familiar with the town and is aware of a weakness in the field of fire of the defensive batteries. More large ships would merely interfere with each other without being able to bring much more fire to bear. In addition to the main fleet, there are some transports to carry infantry and to transport the rescued slaves.

The English forces approach Algiers at noon. At the beginning neither Exmouth nor the Dey of Algiers wants to command to fire the first shot. The Dey's plan is to allow the fleet to anchor and then to sortie from the harbor and board the ships with large numbers of men in small boats. However, Algerian discipline is less effective and one Algerian gun shot fires at 3.15 pm. Exmouth immediately begins the bombardment. The Algerian flotilla makes an attempt to board but thirty three of their boats are sunk. After an hour, the cannons on the mole are effectively silenced and Exmouth turns his attention to the shipping in the harbor which is destroyed by 7.30 pm. Although the fleet also bombards the city, there is comparatively little damage as the construction of the houses means that cannon balls pass through the walls leaving a neat hole without destroying them. At 8.00 pm, Milne asks that the bomb vessel Vesuvius be used against the battery that is mauling his ship. The commander of the bomb makes an error of navigation and she explodes ineffectively beside the wrong battery.

Despite this, the Algerian batteries are no longer able to maintain fire and by 10.15 pm, Exmouth gives the order for the fleet to weigh anchor and sail out of range, leaving HMS Minden to keep firing to suppress any further resistance. By 1.30 am, the fleet is anchored out of range and the wounded are treated and the crew clears the damage caused by the Algerian guns. Casualties on the British side were 16 percent killed or wounded.
    Although the Algerian fleet and batteries are destroyed, Exmouth hesitates to order the landing of the infantry, as the fleet has already fired all of its ammunition. The following day at noon, Exmouth sends a peace offer. He warns that if the terms are not accepted that he would continue the action. The Dey accepts the terms, not realizing that they are a bluff.

The treaty is signed on September 24, 1816. 1083 Christian slaves and the British Consul are freed and the ransom money repaid. Exmouth’s squadron returns to England to repair the ships and to replace casualties. One week before the return of Exmouth`s squadron the Royal African Trading Company is formed at London.

The English King sends notes to support the fight of the Serbs against the Ottoman Empire. He even offers them weapons, but hasn`t found a way to send them to Serbia.

France is all on edge. Although King Louis managed to appease the financial demands of the alliance and therewith freed the country from occupation forces, he still has not gained sovereignty over his own kingdom. Oppressive financial burdens, failed harvests, the return of the emigrants and the lack of official authorities make France a tinderbox – one spark and the situation will escalate.

At November, the Austrian occupation forces under the command of General warman gather west of Lyon to decamp. The marching columns are accompanied by ten thousands of French peasants, which celebrate the withdrawal of the hated intruders as victory. The King sends deputies to mediate between the crowd and the Austrian forces. However, the mob snowballs. More and more people join, many of them waving muskets angrily. The crowd sings songs of dispraise and finally they sing the Marseillaise, the anthem of the revolution, and call for the Emperor. The royal deputies return hastily to Paris and the Austrian divisions betake themselves to flight. Warman leads his men back to Vienna; without casualties, but the divisions appear more a defeated than a victorious army.

After the flight of the Austrians, the mob proclaims a free republic. Other provinces join and together they form the new Republic of Aquitania, while the northern part of France keeps loyal to the King.

Austria is hit hard by the cold spell. Although the Kaiser manages to increase corn imports from Egypt and Russia, the food price still goes up. Together with the national deficit and hundred thousands of unemployed, former members of the Imperial Army, this makes a critical situation. Thousands of peasants starve to death this year and hundred thousands leave their home, looking for a better way of life in the New World.

At Hungary there are protests against the Kaiser. Especially the lower aristocracy suffers from the cold spell and from the taxes. They demand more rights for themselves and for Hungary.

The Austrian government does a lot to increase trade, especially with Bavaria and the Italian small countries. The new trade lines extend the Mediterranean and end at Egypt. Especially corn trade adds wealth to the Austrian cities in northern Italy.

The Austrian monarchy also tries to decrease the deficit by reducing bureaucracy and selling works of art. However, in the middle of dearth, he gets little for these pieces.

The Imperial Army is also reduced significantly due to the end of the Napoleonic Wars. To third of the soldiers return home. However, new dark clouds appear at the borders of Austria, this time in the east. The Serbian War of Independence is still raging and this also stresses the relation between the Austrian and the Ottoman Empire. The Turks accuse Austria to disturb the peace in their provinces while Vienna accuses Istanbul for preparing war against Russia. In February the situation seems to relax, as the Serbs sign a treaty with the Sultan, which guarantees them a maximum of independence from the Empire. However, during May and June information about deployment of the Ottoman army along the borders reaches the Danube. Emperor Franz orders his army to be on alert and sends Feldmarschall Fürst Schwarzenberg to prepare the defense.

Prussia is almost spared from the direct effects of the dearth, the big farms in the east even benefit from the raising rates for corn. Trade increases too, imports from England fill the market with cheap goods. This puts pressure on many local artisans, that find it hard to compete with the prices of the English goods and creates a trade deficit.
    At May there are elections to the regional parliaments. Election campaigns are though and sometimes even violent. They are heated by a media campaigns lime never seen before. In the end, most deputies come from the lines of the old aristocracy. Only in the Polish provinces some Poles managed to come into the new parliament. This, however, leads to massive protests of the German population and clashes between the nationalities. About a dozen dies in this affrays and the police arrests several hundreds. With the support of the gentry, the German prisoners are freed soon afterwards.
    The Polish propaganda is growing in the occupied areas. Polish newspapers spread nationalistic ideas and there are several secret societies, which try to organize the nationalists and procure guns. The Prussian King increases the stregth of His army in Poland.

Germany:

On October 18, 1817 about 450 students, members of the newly founded German Burschenschaften ("fraternities"), came together at the castle Wartburg to celebrate the German victory over Napoleon two years before and condemn conservatism and call for German unity. Speakers at the event included Heinrich Hermann Riemann, a veteran of the Lützow Free Corps, the philosophy student Ludwig Rödiger, and Hans Ferdinand Massmann. With the permission of the absent chaplain Friedrich Ludwig Jahn), the Code Napoléon and other books were burned 'in effigy': instead of the costly volumes, scraps of parchment with the titles of conservative books (including those of August von Kotzebue) were placed on the bonfire.

The Kleindeutscher Bund introduces higher tariffs for goods from England. In December, Württemberg joins the Bund.

Russia benefits from corn exports to the German countries. However, these exports increase the price in Russia, too. Csar Alexander is trying to appease the Polish nobles by withdrawing the Russian soliders from Poland. Furthermore he is negotiating about their socalled traditional rights. He wants to free the serfs, which will surely meet the resistance of the nobles.
    While being liberal against the Polish serfs, Alexander does not support the Serbian wish for freedom. He condemns their rebellion and does not recognize their claim to rule their own country. Yet he increases the strength of His army along the border to the Ottoman Empire.

The Ottoman Empire goes on with reforms of the military and administration. The war at Arabia comes to an end, as the last rebels are defeated by Mohamed Ali Pasha.
    The Porte is signing a compromise with the Serbs. Serbia remains a part of ther Empire, there will be a small Turkish garrison at Belgrad and Serbia will have to pay a symbolic tax, but that cannot hide the fact, that Serbia is independant, now. However, the Sultan is gathering a big army at the Balkans and new war is likely.

Spain goes on recruiting new regiments for the new world. There are several victories and it looks as if the royalists are getting upper hand. In Europe, the Spanish King returns to pure absolutism.

Facts and numbers:
    Austria: Income* 10 Million; Army size: 130,000; Debt: 78
    Prussia: Income* 8.5 Million; Army size: 115,000; Debt: 119 Mio
    Russia: Income* 12 Million; Army size: 350,000; Debt: 190 Mio
    France: Income* 2 Million; Army size: 500; Debt: 220 Mio
    England: Income* 12 Million; Army size: 35,000; Debt: 116 Mio
    Ottoman: Income* 10 Million; Army size: 200,000; Debt: 200 Mio
    (Income*= Income – cost of administration)

Sorry for the length
    Tasks are coming

Blog Entries

No Problem Franconius! I like big chapters

Damn it, Why is my poor Austrian Empire always gets to suffer like this? Old Man Winter always picks on me poor people

Franconius, i agreed to be piedmont (just to announce publicly). Any idea what my income is? take your time i know nyour probably busy.
    -Peter Green

Sardia: Income 4 Million; Army size: 30,000 +three frigates, debt: 20 Mio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...an_Algiers.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._1816-Luny.jpg

TASKS (for the period between July 1817 and June 1818)

Austria:
    1) The French rebellion may become dangerous for you. The riots can easily cross the borders and probably France will not be able to pay the next rates. What do you plan?
    2) Serbia is free now. This can easily boost the nationalism in your provinces. There are already signs of unhappiness.
    3) What do you think about the situation at Germany, esp. the Kleindeutschen Bund. Do you want to join or work closer with? What do you think about the eruption of nationalism at the Wartburg?
    4) The Ottoman Empire is gathering an army at your frontiers. Please give precise orders about your actions.

Prussia:
    1) Your Polish provinces are getting uneasy.
    2) The Kleindeutscher Bund is increasing the tariffs. How do you act?
    3) English goods are invading your market. Any actions?
    4) The Wartburg is close to your borders. Any actions against liberal and nationalistic ideas?
    5) There is a crisis forming at the Balkans. What is the position of Prussia?
    6) The French rebellion can easily spread all over Europe. Next could be the provinces at the Rhine. Do you want to intervene or is this a task for the “big five”?
    7) Your economy is stagnating and so is your tax income.

Russia:
    1) Poland is dangerous. Not only the Kingdom of Poland could cause trouble, there are also nationalistic impulses from the Prussian and Austrian part f Poland, even from Krakau.
    2) Poland: The Polish Aristocrats want to accept you as Polish King, but they want the Russian troops to leave and they insist on their traditional rights. What is your reply?
    3) Your budget is balanced, due to the payment from France. However, your economy is stagnating.
    4) What is your position at the Balkans?
    5) The English are increasing their efforts at India. India was once an important goal of the Russian strategy, too. Any actions?
    6) France may turn into a problem once again!

France:
    1) The banks are not willing to give you any new credit. You do not have a tax income. You do not have an army. All you have is debt. How do you want to pay the money to Russia and Austria?
    2) You lost half of France to a rebellion.

England:
    1) Your expedition against Algeria was a partial triumph, your trip to Morocco was not. New orders?
    2) Do you intervene on the Balkans?
    3) Do you intervene at France?
    4) You are also ruling Hannover. Now Hannover wants to join the Kleindeutschen Bund, which would mean, that there would be trade barriers between Hannover and England.

Ottoman Empire:

1) Detail your plans regarding the Balkans.
    2) What are your plans, if another party should make war aginst you?

Sardinia:

1) Please select your constitution.
    2) Finance: After the wars, you have high debt. How do you want to reduce them?
    3) Army strength: please select the size of your armed forces!
    4) Trade: Your country lives from trade. However, times are hard. The English control the Med, France sinks in chaos, the market for cloth is swamped by cheap industrial products. What is your strategy?

Blog Entries

I, Emperor Franz Of Austria, demands that the Ottomans back their armies off from my borders.
    have no need to make war with you, but if I must defend myself if you find it ok to assault my empire, you will regret it.

Emperor Franz

Blog Entries

Question Re: Concert of Europe

When is the deadline by the way? I be gone starting Wednesday due to the Thanksgiving Holiday (plus to rest my wrists/break game addiction ), so I won't be back until Sunday.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

It's Quiet here. Come on guys, speak in-character, make it more fun!

Nations of Europe, it is obvious that we must act in France. No one wants half of France under the plauge that spawned the pestilence of Nepolean. Instead it is time that we keep a close eye on what happens and if needed intervene. However, our problems are not capable of being solved by arms alone. To help keep the French King control his subjects I am herby forgiving all debt the nation of France owns to the Tsar. I encourage Austria to do the same.

The Tsar would also like to hear the positions on other nations regarding the French problem.

Tsar Alexander I
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Austria - clear your inbox - I can't PM you
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Blog Entries

It is clear now

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    Nations of Europe, it is obvious that we must act in France. No one wants half of France under the plauge that spawned the pestilence of Nepolean. Instead it is time that we keep a close eye on what happens and if needed intervene. However, our problems are not capable of being solved by arms alone. To help keep the French King control his subjects I am herby forgiving all debt the nation of France owns to the Tsar. I encourage Austria to do the same.

The Tsar would also like to hear the positions on other nations regarding the French problem.

Tsar Alexander I
    From the Court of Louis XVIII

I wish to - first of all - thank Tsar Alexander and the Russian Court for being so understanding of Our situation. I do not wish to have a show of arms within my country, nor am I looking for handouts, however, I cannot repay the debt incurred by my insane predecessor (the one they call "Napoleon") overnight. Secondly, to all of Europe - please be patient. These are difficult economic times, and the rebellious rise in my nation does not help the situation at all. I thank you, by fellow Lords, for your understanding in this matter.

Rex Louis XVIII d'Gaul

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast